U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:45 AM
 
317 posts, read 323,195 times
Reputation: 104

Advertisements

" Illegal immigrants are returning home to Mexico in numbers not seen for decades" "Those numbers have increased percentage-wise tremendously," said Enrique Hubbard, the Mexican consul general in Dallas. "In fact, it's almost 100 percent more this year than it was the previous two years. August 2008.

Illegal Immigrants Returning to Mexico in Record Numbers - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

  • There is evidence that the number of new illegal immigrants arriving has fallen by about one-third (30%) in the last two years compared to earlier in this decade.
  • There is also evidence that the number of illegal immigrants returning home has more than doubled in the last two years compared to earlier in this decade.

A Shifting Tide: Recent Trends in the Illegal Immigrant Population | Center for Immigration Studies

Last edited by Mrbiggleswurth; 05-21-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2010, 12:57 AM
 
346 posts, read 590,245 times
Reputation: 273
With stepped up enforcement compared to previous years, this is no surprise. It'd be interesting to see an article from 2010, though, as the first one is from mid 2008 and the other from 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
 
18,479 posts, read 11,402,539 times
Reputation: 4763
The drug dealers haven't stopped coming. They are the main ones to catch and send back to Mexican prisons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 01:06 AM
 
317 posts, read 323,195 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
With stepped up enforcement compared to previous years, this is no surprise. It'd be interesting to see an article from 2010, though, as the first one is from mid 2008 and the other from 2009.
What type of enforcement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 01:36 AM
 
346 posts, read 590,245 times
Reputation: 273
1.) ICE increasing its quota for deportations.
2.) Oklahoma and Arizona implementing tough anti-illegal alien laws.
3.) 287g being implemented in many districts.

There are many types of enforcement, which is scaring many illegal aliens away. There's still many more to go, though - this law in Arizona, if it passes constitutional muster, and enforced vigorously yet lawfully, will be a knockout blow...at least for Arizona.

Other pending issues that may lead to a decrease in IA population:
-California's pending budget cuts which will cut off a lot of free services IA's receive and rely on.
-Other states in the US that are trying to pass laws similar to SB1070.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 01:40 AM
 
317 posts, read 323,195 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
1.) ICE increasing its quota for deportations.
2.) Oklahoma and Arizona implementing tough anti-illegal alien laws.
3.) 287g being implemented in many districts.

There are many types of enforcement, which is scaring many illegal aliens away. There's still many more to go, though - this law in Arizona, if it passes constitutional muster, and enforced vigorously yet lawfully, will be a knockout blow...at least for Arizona.

Other pending issues that may lead to a decrease in IA population:
-California's pending budget cuts which will cut off a lot of free services IA's receive and rely on.
-Other states in the US that are trying to pass laws similar to SB1070.
The number of illegal immigrants entering has also dropped dramatically. ICE enforcement only takes place after they have arrived. SB1070 doesn't address illegal immigrants entering, it addresses the ones already here, not to mention that the number of illegal immigrants entering has been dropping sharply years before the implementation of sb1070.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 AM
 
346 posts, read 590,245 times
Reputation: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
The number of illegal immigrants entering has also dropped dramatically. ICE enforcement only takes place after they have arrived. SB1070 doesn't address illegal immigrants entering, it addresses the ones already here, not to mention that the number of illegal immigrants entering has been dropping sharply years before the implementation of sb1070.
Yes, SB1070 does affect only the IA's here. However the knowledge of knowing a strong law like it exists would deter many future border crossings from the "nonviolent" sector of IA's. Drug smugglers and coyotes would probably not care and would still enter, until they are apprehended.

I also forgot to mention: tightened security and fences made Texas and California less appealing to those entering illegally. That's why Arizona is the #1 choice for entering the country now, despite its dangerous terrain. If a fence were built, I bet you would see a huge decline in those entering the country illegally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 10,397,160 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
The number of illegal immigrants entering has also dropped dramatically. ICE enforcement only takes place after they have arrived. SB1070 doesn't address illegal immigrants entering, it addresses the ones already here, not to mention that the number of illegal immigrants entering has been dropping sharply years before the implementation of sb1070.
I disagree. SB1070 is also a deterrant to new entries especially those who were thinking of residing in Arizona with perhaps a relative already here. They don't want to get caught so Arizona will not be a destination for them and with other states thinking of implenting the same law it is a deterrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
 
47,578 posts, read 55,163,885 times
Reputation: 22053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbiggleswurth View Post
" Illegal immigrants are returning home to Mexico in numbers not seen for decades" "Those numbers have increased percentage-wise tremendously," said Enrique Hubbard, the Mexican consul general in Dallas. "In fact, it's almost 100 percent more this year than it was the previous two years. August 2008.

Illegal Immigrants Returning to Mexico in Record Numbers - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

  • There is evidence that the number of new illegal immigrants arriving has fallen by about one-third (30%) in the last two years compared to earlier in this decade.
  • There is also evidence that the number of illegal immigrants returning home has more than doubled in the last two years compared to earlier in this decade.

A Shifting Tide: Recent Trends in the Illegal Immigrant Population | Center for Immigration Studies
I don't always believe the media because it generally is propaganda for some agenda.

If this is true, there are also no reports of Mexicans starving to death once they arrive back home which makes the claims of pro-illegals false.

Yes, illegals can return home or be returned home and it's not a disaster for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 09:28 AM
 
47,578 posts, read 55,163,885 times
Reputation: 22053
The worst thing for us - those illegals returning home will be the ones most likely to have been working here as opposed to the welfare types who certainly won't be headed home. We'll end up with the very worst kinds - the illegals having babies to access the welfare programs, have their babies so they can demand their rights to stay but wouldn't dream of doing any of that hard work for low pay that illegals were supposed to be doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top