U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM

358 posts, read 333,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Certainly agree that the debate on the Arizona law goes well beyond political parties. In-fact, an article in today's NY Times points this out:

"Conservative Republican governors like Jim Gibbons of Nevada, Robert F. McDonnel of Virginia and Rick Perry of Texas have all criticized the Arizona law. But some more moderate Republicans, like Tom Campbell, who is running in the party’s Senate primary in California, have supported it".
Arizona Law Reveals Tension in G.O.P. on Immigration - NYTimes.com

Frankly, I don't think the mayor of Phoenix & city councils of Tucson\ Flagstaff\ Bisbee\ San Luis, etc made quite serious decisions without reading the bill. That argument has no traction anymore.

Frankly, the silent majority may in-fact be the business owners\ chambers of commerce types who only consider the bottom line: $

Why are some police departments in Arizona also suing to stop the law?
Wanted to point out some important points. First Gov. Rick Perry: Perry, who is vehemently opposing the law, said: "I fully recognize and support a state's right and obligation to protect its citizens, but I have concerns with portions of the law passed in Arizona and believe it would not be the right direction for Texas."

"For example, some aspects of the law turn law enforcement officers into immigration officials by requiring them to determine immigration status during any LAWFUL CONTACT with a suspected alien, taking them away from their existing law enforcement duties, which are critical to keeping citizens safe."
Arizona immigration law sb1070 & Arizona immigration law text: Texas gov says Arizona Immigration Law Not Right for Texas : Khabrein.info

Arizona is in the process of writing a law to clarify portions the immigration law it passed last month. The edits will change the language of the law’s sentence regarding “lawful contact.” The new text will read “lawful stop, detention or arrest.”

This has already been done, alleviating Gov. Perry's concerns about "any lawful contact". Even though portions of the bill most criticized by Republican leaders were changed, we are still seeing recycled statements from Republicans that were made BEFORE the changes to the bill. The NY Times is once again trying to mislead readers- not to say there is no Republicans opposing the bill, just that the facts are not being correctly reported. And of course there is officers and police departments suing, you cannot make everyone happy.

Old 05-21-2010, 02:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,856,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Scare tactics? ROFL thats it? Thats the argument?I forgot my wallet and now I am arrested?
If it is nothing more than "scare tactics" then why all the calls to punish Arizona? How long do you think it will take before Philadelphia joins the other cities in condemning the Arizona law?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Scare tactics? ROFL thats it? Thats the argument?I forgot my wallet and now I am arrested?
LMAO! I forgot my wallet, cant remember my state issued ID number, date of birth, social security number or current address! oh, and I need a translator! I better avoid Arizona

Old 05-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
LMAO! I forgot my wallet, cant remember my state issued ID number, date of birth, social security number or current address! oh, and I need a translator! I better avoid Arizona
This may all sound silly but the consequences are quite serious & Arizona is in damage control mode right now. The state is under attack. When was the last time that happened?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:09 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,074,630 times
Quote:
This may all sound silly but the consequences are quite serious & Arizona is in damage control mode right now. The state is under attack. When was the last time that happened?
Do you support these boycotts?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,399,615 times
Quote:
Trust me, by now every politician has read the law. Do you think conservative governors in nearby southwestern states would take such a political risk? The actual law is not the issue. There is a good chance that a hispanic American citizen could be taken into custody based on a cop's hunch. How would you feel if you got arrested because you left your wallet at home [no id]? That is not suppose to happen in America.
Well, then too, an illegal mexican invasion isn't supposed to happen in America either. The cops will ask for ID for whatever legal reason. Anyone that forgets their wallet and has no ID will not be arrested until the cop phones in to check the data base to see if such a person exists. Cops always phone in to check the data base to see if there are any outstanding warrents out, etc. If the person exists in the data base then the cop just gives a ticket and lets them go. If no such person is in the data base, as obammer says, adios amigo. Go directly to jail and wait and wait and wait for obammer to let ICE pick the illegal up.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Do you support these boycotts?
Yes I do. And I love Arizona [and have vacationed there several times] but I'm sure my family would not enter Arizona until this issue is resolved.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
The state is under attack, Illegal Immigrants are invading our country and the Fed's are doing nothing about it. I agree 100%, except this invasion has been occurring over the last few decades. Who walks around with 0 ID? you DO NOT have to show a birth certificate to police, just have reasonable proof you are a citizen. "If you commit an infraction, they may ask you to sign a citation or notice instead of taking you into custody. An infraction is a minor offense, such as a moving violation, for which the punishment is usually a fine. If you sign the citation, you are not admitting guilt. You are only promising to appear in court. If you have no identification or refuse to sign, however, an officer may take you into custody." Pamphlets - Consumer Information (http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?cid=10581&id=2173 - broken link) That is NOT AN ARIZONA LAW, IT'S CALIFORNIA RIGHT FROM THE STATES WEBSITE. The only real difference is that California will not turn over Illegal Immigrants. Come on Sur, you can do better than this..

Old 05-21-2010, 03:19 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,074,630 times
Quote:
yes i do. And i love arizona [and have vacationed there several times] but i'm sure my family would not enter arizona until this issue is resolved.
oic...Are you boycotting the federal government as well for not enforcing the laws they put into place and not providing a solution for the problem in AZ which is exactly why AZ enacted this bill? You do realize that AZ is paying not only in crime, but also tax dollars in educating and housing these illegals (in jails, prisons) and the government needs to pay up?

Old 05-21-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
The state is under attack, Illegal Immigrants are invading our country and the Fed's are doing nothing about it. I agree 100%, except this invasion has been occurring over the last few decades. Who walks around with 0 ID? you DO NOT have to show a birth certificate to police, just have reasonable proof you are a citizen. "If you commit an infraction, they may ask you to sign a citation or notice instead of taking you into custody. An infraction is a minor offense, such as a moving violation, for which the punishment is usually a fine. If you sign the citation, you are not admitting guilt. You are only promising to appear in court. If you have no identification or refuse to sign, however, an officer may take you into custody." Pamphlets - Consumer Information (http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calbar/calbar_generic.jsp?cid=10581&id=2173 - broken link) That is NOT AN ARIZONA LAW, IT'S CALIFORNIA RIGHT FROM THE STATES WEBSITE. The only real difference is that California will not turn over Illegal Immigrants. Come on Sur, you can do better than this..
Hey, don't get me wrong. I support closing the border for national security & population concerns. I don't know any national leader who wants the border to remain wide open. Some governors, however, want cheap labor & are willing to ignore the problem. The issue with the Arizona law is how it is being perceived by Latinos and many other Americans. The mistake Arizona made was under-estimating the reaction this law would create. The governor was cautioned not to sign it weeks before. I understand that she was facing strong opposition to raising taxes [that actually passed]. Brewer chose to take the gamble & it may end up being a costly mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or