Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:26 PM

358 posts, read 395,083 times

Advertisements

Good deal. So now let's talk percentages (I will even add cities considering boycotting). There are 19,355 incorporated cities in America. That number does not reflect the unincorporated cities throughout the country. I count 39 cities total on your end? ok.. now for the hard part: 39/19355= 0.0020149 Gotta say, thats a biiig percentage of cities! now how many people in those boycotting cities actually approve the boycott?
Poll: Was the L.A. City Council right to pass a boycott of Arizona? | Opinion L.A. | Los Angeles Times
No. The city should mind its own business. 91% (36,420 votes)
Total Votes: 39,845
Soooo Sur, can you tell me with CERTAINTY these city councils are doing the will of the people? are they not overstepping their bounds? NO ONE voted for the L.A. city council to be involved in restricting interstate commerce, these city councils are out of line and need to be removed!! VIVA SB 1070!!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:33 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Good deal. So now let's talk percentages (I will even add cities considering boycotting). There are 19,355 incorporated cities in America. That number does not reflect the unincorporated cities throughout the country. I count 39 cities total on your end? ok.. now for the hard part: 39/19355= 0.0020149 Gotta say, thats a biiig percentage of cities! now how many people in those boycotting cities actually approve the boycott?
Poll: Was the L.A. City Council right to pass a boycott of Arizona? | Opinion L.A. | Los Angeles Times
No. The city should mind its own business. 91% (36,420 votes)
Total Votes: 39,845
Soooo Sur, can you tell me with CERTAINTY these city councils are doing the will of the people? are they not overstepping their bounds? NO ONE voted for the L.A. city council to be involved in restricting interstate commerce, these city councils are out of line and need to be removed!! VIVA SB 1070!!
Oh come on! Most of the cities listed are the largest in their states & wield considerable influence. Plus the number of cities joining the boycott grows daily. You guys try your hardest to minimize and rationalize but the hard reality is that a significant boycott is underway that will have considerable impact on Arizona's economy. Arizona is facing serious trouble and will likely back down or wait for the federal courts to step in and hope it doesn't take too long.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:37 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
More cities are joining the boycott of Arizona:

Seattle:
"The City Council on Monday unanimously passed a resolution directing departments not to send employees to the Grand Canyon State and to refrain from doing new business with firms in Arizona to protest the new law".
Seattle votes to boycott Arizona over immigration law

4 more cities in Massachusetts:
"Elected officials in Worchester, Lawrence, Springfield, and Amherst say they are drafting measures similar to the one Boston's City Council passed last week that asks city officials to identify city contracts and purchasing agreements with Arizona and Arizona-based companies, and end them immediately".
4 More Massachusetts Municipalities Eye Arizona Boycott (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/apx_mass_arizona_boycott_05102010 - broken link)

Columbus, Ohio:
"Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman has banned city employees from traveling to Arizona for official business"
Add Columbus to List of Cities Boycotting Arizona | Buckeye State Blog

Cities considering boycotts of Arizona:
Tacoma, WA
Albuquerque, NM
Dallas, TX
New York, NY
Hartford, CN
Coachella, CA

3 More Cities Consider Joining Arizona Boycott | Blue Wave News (http://bluewavenews.com/2010/05/17/3-more-cities-consider-joining-arizona-boycott/ - broken link)
Dallas council members urge consideration of Arizona boycott | wfaa.com | Dallas - Fort Worth Local News
Below is a list of cities who have passed (or are considering passing) boycotts on business in Arizona or have condemned SB 1070. | Somos Republicans

Add the above to theses American cities:
Los Angeles, CA
San Francisco, CA Madison, WI
Austin, TX
West Hollywood, CA
Boston, MA
Oakland, CA
El Paso, TX
St. Paul, MN
Springfield, MA
Worcester, MA
Washington D.C.
Milwaukee, WI
Chicago, IL
NYC, NY
Boulder, CO
St. Paul, MN
Tacoma, WA
Lawrence, MA
Amherst, MA
Sacramento, CA
Baldwin Park, CA
South el Monte, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
Wow...apparently you didn't even read what I posted for you a few posts back. So, now you've just reinforced for me that you are simply supporting the boycott because you are one of those "joiners" who just needs to join some kind of cause regardless of whether you know anything about it or not. There...I can generalize as well.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Oh come on! Most of the cities listed are the largest in their states & wield considerable influence. Plus the number of cities joining the boycott grows daily. You guys try your hardest to minimize and rationalize but the hard reality is that a significant boycott is underway that will have considerable impact on Arizona's economy. Arizona is facing serious trouble and will likely back down or wait for the federal courts to step in and hope it doesn't take too long.
Are you clueless? Arizona has been waiting for the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT to step in to solve this problem for months and months and they still haven't. That is what started this whole mess. Do you keep up with current events at all?

Old 05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
zox

344 posts, read 479,045 times
Quote:
Trust me, by now every politician has read the law. Do you think conservative governors in nearby southwestern states would take such a political risk? The actual law is not the issue. There is a good chance that a hispanic American citizen could be taken into custody based on a cop's hunch. How would you feel if you got arrested because you left your wallet at home [no id]? That is not suppose to happen in America.
This is not true.

Last edited by zox; 05-21-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 06:42 PM

358 posts, read 395,083 times
Quote:

Ahhh... Even if I wanted to play along.. say "ALL" of the CITY COUNCILS from the biggest cities in America are for Illegal Immigration, It still does not reflect the will of the people, and is out of line.
look at the comments with that poll, I dont know who you interact with on a daily basis- but I know of one person that is against the bill. She is a far lefter teacher, and it all boils down to "Feelings" with her, no logic at all. Over 90% of respondents from that poll disagree with the city council! Just take the bitter pill and agree: They are wrong, out of their paygrade, were not elected to meddle in other states affairs, and an overwhelming majority of the constituents think it was wrong!

Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Sorry about the misspelling. But it seems so easy to brush off anything that doesn't agree with you as "a bunch of . . . blah blah blah." You've attacked Los Angeles and many other California cities yet the largest cities in your state are doing the same thing: condemning the Arizona law. When do you at least admit that there are many people unhappy with your state [both inside and outside Arizona]? It is just too easy to make them sound as fringe. So Flagstaff, Bisbee and San Luis are also a bunch of whatever?
70 percent of Arizonans and 60 percent of the nation as a whole are behind the law in Arizona. Just because you've got some nitwits with an agenda on city councils that don't represent their constituents equals JACK SQUAT. If you illegal alien lovers have so much of an or*y over Mexico taking over this country why don't you just take the shortcut and MOVE THERE.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Wow...apparently you didn't even read what I posted for you a few posts back. So, now you've just reinforced for me that you are simply supporting the boycott because you are one of those "joiners" who just needs to join some kind of cause regardless of whether you know anything about it or not. There...I can generalize as well.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The topic is how even the large cities in Arizona are trying to stop the new law. And that other cities are joining a boycott of Arizona. I don't join things just for the hell of it. My interests are pretty simple: politics & sports. I support the boycott and wish that Arizona would do the right thing and drop the law.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:47 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to. The topic is how even the large cities in Arizona are trying to stop the new law. And that other cities are joining a boycott of Arizona. I don't join things just for the hell of it. My interests are pretty simple: politics & sports. I support the boycott and wish that Arizona would do the right thing and drop the law.
You support that bastard calderon (sp?) and his lunatic ideas? Go for it and take the suggestion that I had in an earlier post.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Oh...I see you simply skimmed over those facts that I posted for you.

BTW, given the facts that were presented to you, WHY do you support the boycott?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.