Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,336,726 times

Advertisements

The largest cities in Arizona are in the process of suing the state over the anti-immigration law. On May 5th:

"Tuscon and Flagstaff on Tuesday became the first cities in Arizona to sue the state over its new and controversial immigration law.
The Tuscon City Council voted 5 to 1 to sue the state to overturn the law, the Arizona Daily Star reports, after considering the reaction and potential economic consequences for the city.
And later Tuesday night, the Flagstaff City Council voted unanimously to file suit against the law, according to the Arizona Daily Sun, after listening to three hours of public testimony. More than two dozen spoke at the meeting, and most were in favor of overturning the law, according to the Sun".
Say Anything » Cities Of Tucson, Flagstaff Sue State Of Arizona Over Illegal Immigration Bill

"Even the mayor of the largest city in Arizona, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, is speaking out against the immigration reform bill in Arizona"
Phoenix Mayor to Sue Over Arizona's Immigration Bill - Global Cocktail - Gay Travel Blog - Passport Magazine

Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 PM

8,544 posts, read 10,065,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The largest cities in Arizona are in the process of suing the state over the anti-immigration law. On May 5th:

"Tuscon and Flagstaff on Tuesday became the first cities in Arizona to sue the state over its new and controversial immigration law.
The Tuscon City Council voted 5 to 1 to sue the state to overturn the law, the Arizona Daily Star reports, after considering the reaction and potential economic consequences for the city.
And later Tuesday night, the Flagstaff City Council voted unanimously to file suit against the law, according to the Arizona Daily Sun, after listening to three hours of public testimony. More than two dozen spoke at the meeting, and most were in favor of overturning the law, according to the Sun".
Say Anything » Cities Of Tucson, Flagstaff Sue State Of Arizona Over Illegal Immigration Bill

"Even the mayor of the largest city in Arizona, Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, is speaking out against the immigration reform bill in Arizona"
Phoenix Mayor to Sue Over Arizona's Immigration Bill - Global Cocktail - Gay Travel Blog - Passport Magazine
You might want to change the title of your thread as it is innacurate.

The Tucson city council members...what a bunch of corrupted, moronic clowns those people are. Just ask the majority of Tucsonans about Rio Nuevo. Tucson citizens already got rid of Democrat Nina Trasoff and replaced her with Republican Steve Kozachic last year.

Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon couldn't sue on behalf of the city of Phoenix because he didn't have enough City Council votes to move forward. City Attorney Gary Verburg wrote that the City Council has the final say about whether to pursue legal battles in the city's name.

He's committed political suicide.

NOTE TO californio sur: It is TuCSon, not TuSCon...

Old 05-21-2010, 12:12 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,529,568 times
Politcal posturing=political suicide

So many will be sorry when this dust settles. America is patient as sanity returns.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
You might want to change the title of your thread as it is innacurate.

The Tucson city council members...what a bunch of corrupted, moronic clowns those people are. Just ask the majority of Tucsonans about Rio Nuevo. Tucson citizens already got rid of Democrat Nina Trasoff and replaced her with Republican Steve Kozachic last year.

Phoenix mayor Phil Gordon couldn't sue on behalf of the city of Phoenix because he didn't have enough City Council votes to move forward. City Attorney Gary Verburg wrote that the City Council has the final say about whether to pursue legal battles in the city's name.

He's committed political suicide.

NOTE TO californio sur: It is TuCSon, not TuSCon...
Sorry about the misspelling. But it seems so easy to brush off anything that doesn't agree with you as "a bunch of . . . blah blah blah." You've attacked Los Angeles and many other California cities yet the largest cities in your state are doing the same thing: condemning the Arizona law. When do you at least admit that there are many people unhappy with your state [both inside and outside Arizona]? It is just too easy to make them sound as fringe. So Flagstaff, Bisbee and San Luis are also a bunch of whatever?

Old 05-21-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Sorry about the misspelling. But it seems so easy to brush off anything that doesn't agree with you as "a bunch of . . . blah blah blah." You've attacked Los Angeles and many other California cities yet the largest cities in your state are doing the same thing: condemning the Arizona law. When do you at least admit that there are many people unhappy with your state [both inside and outside Arizona]? It is just too easy to make them sound as fringe. So Flagstaff, Bisbee and San Luis are also a bunch of whatever?
Listen...I'm just giving you the facts.

In addition, the immigration debate is certainly a topic that affects ALL Americans. Just because a voter voted a Democrat or Republican into office certainly doesn't mean that they agree with them on this topic of SB1070.

Btw, I have not attacked many other California cities any more than I have "attacked" the lousy leadership in Tucson. Having lived in Tucson for 17 years, I think I am certainly entitled to my opinion of the city council in Tucson. I am not just making blanket statements based on no knowledge, like some people do with SB1070.

I will admit that there are many uninformed people who are unhappy with SB1070, and have admitted to not reading the bill.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Listen...I'm just giving you the facts.

In addition, the immigration debate is certainly a topic that affects ALL Americans. Just because a voter voted a Democrat or Republican into office certainly doesn't mean that they agree with them on this topic of SB1070.

Btw, I have not attacked many other California cities any more than I have "attacked" the lousy leadership in Tucson. Having lived in Tucson for 17 years, I think I am certainly entitled to my opinion of the city council in Tucson. I am not just making blanket statements based on no knowledge, like some people do with SB1070.

I will admit that there are many uninformed people who are unhappy with SB1070, and have admitted to not reading the bill.
Certainly agree that the debate on the Arizona law goes well beyond political parties. In-fact, an article in today's NY Times points this out:

"Conservative Republican governors like Jim Gibbons of Nevada, Robert F. McDonnel of Virginia and Rick Perry of Texas have all criticized the Arizona law. But some more moderate Republicans, like Tom Campbell, who is running in the party’s Senate primary in California, have supported it".
Arizona Law Reveals Tension in G.O.P. on Immigration - NYTimes.com

Frankly, I don't think the mayor of Phoenix & city councils of Tucson\ Flagstaff\ Bisbee\ San Luis, etc made quite serious decisions without reading the bill. That argument has no traction anymore.

Frankly, the silent majority may in-fact be the business owners\ chambers of commerce types who only consider the bottom line: $

Why are some police departments in Arizona also suing to stop the law?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Certainly agree that the debate on the Arizona law goes well beyond political parties. In-fact, an article in today's NY Times points this out:

"Conservative Republican governors like Jim Gibbons of Nevada, Robert F. McDonnel of Virginia and Rick Perry of Texas have all criticized the Arizona law. But some more moderate Republicans, like Tom Campbell, who is running in the party’s Senate primary in California, have supported it".
Arizona Law Reveals Tension in G.O.P. on Immigration - NYTimes.com

Frankly, I don't think the mayor of Phoenix & city councils of Tucson\ Flagstaff\ Bisbee\ San Luis, etc made quite serious decisions without reading the bill. That argument has no traction anymore.

Frankly, the silent majority may in-fact be the business owners\ chambers of commerce types who only consider the bottom line: $

Why are some police departments in Arizona also suing to stop the law?
You don't know these city councils. The Tucson city council alone has made so many errors in judgment/mismanaged money that have cost the city and taxpayers of Tucson millions of dollars for projects that never came to fruition. Certainly you understand that people in the government who have criticized SB1070 have readily admitted to not even reading the bill, right? Janet Napolitano? Eric Holder??

Old 05-21-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
You don't know these city councils. The Tucson city council alone has made so many errors in judgment/mismanaged money that have cost the city and taxpayers of Tucson millions of dollars for projects that never came to fruition. Certainly you understand that people in the government who have criticized SB1070 have readily admitted to not even reading the bill, right? Janet Napolitano? Eric Holder??
Trust me, by now every politician has read the law. Do you think conservative governors in nearby southwestern states would take such a political risk? The actual law is not the issue. There is a good chance that a hispanic American citizen could be taken into custody based on a cop's hunch. How would you feel if you got arrested because you left your wallet at home [no id]? That is not suppose to happen in America.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,159,253 times
Quote:
Trust me, by now every politician has read the law. Do you think conservative governors in nearby southwestern states would take such a political risk? The actual law is not the issue. There is a good chance that a hispanic American citizen could be taken into custody based on a cop's hunch. How would you feel if you got arrested because you left your wallet at home [no id]? That is not suppose to happen in America.
Scare tactics? ROFL thats it? Thats the argument?I forgot my wallet and now I am arrested?

Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 PM

166 posts, read 246,064 times
Quote:
You're right! It's not supposed to happen in America. And it wouldn't if we weren't overrun by illegals, OR if our federal government would do it's job!
As for the reason for all the lawsuits? My personal belief is this: Jan Brewer is front page news....loads of press. What better way to promote their own political careers than to lock horns with her? They're just aiming for their own bit of reflected attention.Get their names in the news too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration