U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:39 PM

358 posts, read 332,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Right, and I hope no one is fooled by Meg Whitman who keeps adding on promises to match Poizner's position he ran on from the start. Can you change the heart? No. She is McCain's buddy. They want legal status for all illegal aliens. I'd vote for a democrat if I was sure he intended to send illegals back.
I spent the last hour trying to find out Jerry Brown's stance on Illegal Immigration. Nothing at all on his official site regarding the issue. could not find anything online that was fact, till this: CNN.com - Transcripts
It starts about half way down. I will post a couple thoughts he had on Illegal Immigration during the Bush administrations push for reform. "We're creating the free trade between Mexico and the United States. We've already done that. We've got trucks coming over now. We've got goods. We've got mutual investments. And it's natural that people push across that border when they make 10 times the money." "You've got to find a way to regularize people. You can't just leave the borders open. And ultimately, instead of throwing a $500 billion down a rat hole in Iraq, we have to spend a significant investment to bring up wages in Mexico." (on amnesty) "Well, I mean, that's part of a compromise to come up with a program that will put people on a path to citizenship. And it certainly is part of some compromise. That's an element that you can't take off the table." "I just want to say this: there may be increasing supply, because how else do you explain the falling wages? But at the same time, we can't recruit enough nurses, we can't recruit enough policemen, we can't recruit enough scientists and engineers. The truth of it is that the western countries are somewhat exhausted from a fertility point of view, and are very dependent on flows of people from other countries not so psychologically situated or inclined."

That is thoughts from the Democrats nominee for Governor, Jerry Brown.
Cant wait to see how his stances change...If they don't change, it will be interesting to see if the "Sleeping Giant" awakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 01:21 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,824,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What utter nonsense. The Republicans have not tarred ALL Latinos as illegals. No, the reason Latinos vote Democrat is because they are the party of social programs and because they lack the balls to stand up for the rule of law in regards to illegal immigration. Far too many Latinos are illegal alien sympthizers.
Please support your comments with facts otherwise they are nothing more than hunches that are incorrect.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Did you read NOTHING I wrote ? I just gave you facts, just facts. what did you give me here? Opinion pieces. First Article is by Gebe Martinez. THINK PROGRESSIVE? you have any idea how far Left that site is? Like I said in my last post Sur, Explain the 1992 defeat in California. GOP lost 0-3, we voted for a Blue President. The SECOND ONE is the opinions of two men that founded Freedom works, they are both nut jobs! once again you are giving me the Opinion of someone.The Third article.. some fact but everything you posted from it is opinion, "But 1994 changed all that. By tarring Latinos as “illegals,” Republicans drove far more legal Mexican immigrants to become not only citizens and voters, but Democrats". "Arnold Schwarzenegger (an immigrant who broke with his party on immigration and so drew immigrant votes)" REALLY? it was the immigrant vote that got him in? VDARE.com: 10/19/03 - The Sailer Strategy: Graphic Evidence From California it was the White vote that did it buddy, no "sleeping giant" there. Sur you gave me nothing but garbage, all opinion pieces from radicals (first two articles at least) with no facts or basis. Opinions are like ***** holes, everyone has em. Please don't waste my time reading crap articles- I want numbers and stats- Just like the ones I gave you that Prove you are still wrong in this last post (all my evidence was posted in my last post, not going to do it for a third time)
Obviously you read what you wanted and distorted it to please your mindset. The second article was written by a Republican about Republican concerns over prop 187. How did you miss that? Or were you really reading? In-any-event, when it comes right down to it. The Republican party in California is weak and narrow. It can not win here until it broadens it's "little tent." The same thing is happening all over the nation in case you didn't notice in 2008. The GOP is called the "Party of the South" for a reason.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:28 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,179,036 times
Dallas Morning news had this to say:

Quote:
AUSTIN – A bent to conservatism and family makes Hispanics a promising pool of votes for Republicans, but the party's targeting of illegal immigrants has withered its attraction.
Regardless, Gov. Rick Perry has fared relatively well, perhaps because of his anti-Washington rhetoric and his careful immigration stance, a recent poll indicates.

It shows more than half of Texas Hispanics call themselves conservative, and a surprising 23 percent say they might participate in Tuesday's GOP primary. Among those, Perry leads Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison by 2 to 1, according to the poll, commissioned by an Austin consultant for a national group of Hispanic legislative leaders. Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection. Please provide a link to the original source
I think California's GOP approach is similar, right?

Last edited by Yac; 05-24-2010 at 07:25 AM..

Old 05-22-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Best of luck with that one. I lived in CA during the Prop 187 mess. What a shame that the people have found that their voice or vote does not count and only the activist judges will decide what is good for the state or the country. Be careful what you vote for, you may get the rewards you do not deserve. The idiot Jerry Brown is a Davis clone and they worked together very well.
I think you got that backwards to no surprise. Jerry Brown was governor of California from 1975 to 1983. Gray Davis was lieutenant governor from 1995 to 1999 and than governor from 1999 to 2003.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
Poizner very conservative on what counts to me, that is illegal immigration, he has ALways been very against illegal immigration and wants to send them back. Whitman's website repeats several times that she will support fed. government.
Poizner is a politician. He will say anything to get elected. But do you honestly think that if he became governor [which is highly unlikely] that he would promote a prop 187 again? You don't know California politics if you believe that. If Poizner wins the Republican primary for governor just wait & watch how he will turn his words around to mean something else [unless he is prepared to be slaughtered in the general election]. Poizner is smart but even smart people get caught in lies.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Obviously you read what you wanted and distorted it to please your mindset. The second article was written by a Republican about Republican concerns over prop 187. How did you miss that? Or were you really reading? In-any-event, when it comes right down to it. The Republican party in California is weak and narrow. It can not win here until it broadens it's "little tent." The same thing is happening all over the nation in case you didn't notice in 2008. The GOP is called the "Party of the South" for a reason.
The second article you quoted was OPINION from two nut jobs that founded the group I mentioned. You did not research WHO the people were commenting, they did not represent the entire Republican party, or even a majority. I asked for FACTS not opinion. Thats all you have Sur.. Opinion and "Feelings", neither of those have a place here. Give me EVIDENCE (Polls, Statistics, Studies) of the propaganda you spew, or stop wasting my time.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
I spent the last hour trying to find out Jerry Brown's stance on Illegal Immigration. Nothing at all on his official site regarding the issue. could not find anything online that was fact, till this: CNN.com - Transcripts
It starts about half way down. I will post a couple thoughts he had on Illegal Immigration during the Bush administrations push for reform. "We're creating the free trade between Mexico and the United States. We've already done that. We've got trucks coming over now. We've got goods. We've got mutual investments. And it's natural that people push across that border when they make 10 times the money." "You've got to find a way to regularize people. You can't just leave the borders open. And ultimately, instead of throwing a $500 billion down a rat hole in Iraq, we have to spend a significant investment to bring up wages in Mexico." (on amnesty) "Well, I mean, that's part of a compromise to come up with a program that will put people on a path to citizenship. And it certainly is part of some compromise. That's an element that you can't take off the table." "I just want to say this: there may be increasing supply, because how else do you explain the falling wages? But at the same time, we can't recruit enough nurses, we can't recruit enough policemen, we can't recruit enough scientists and engineers. The truth of it is that the western countries are somewhat exhausted from a fertility point of view, and are very dependent on flows of people from other countries not so psychologically situated or inclined."

That is thoughts from the Democrats nominee for Governor, Jerry Brown.
Cant wait to see how his stances change...If they don't change, it will be interesting to see if the "Sleeping Giant" awakes.
Iceman, for someone who lives in California I think you are a bit naive if you actually believe what your write. I applaud your interest though & glad you enjoy politics like I do. But I can tell you with guarantees that a pro-Arizona law candidate for governor of California is like a death sentence for any Republican or Democrat. Concern about the border is much different than insulting a huge part of the electorate. You will be disappointed, I'm afraid in November but I suspect that is normal for anyone who is Republican in California.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Man in the News - Theorist With a Heart - Jack French Kemp - NYTimes.com

CONVENTION '96: JACK BE NIMBLE - TIME

"Kemp's stated reason for not entering the 1996 Republican Party presidential primaries was that his personal beliefs were out of balance with the contemporary Republican political landscape"

Kemp was also outspoken on immigration on around this time: according to Kemp's interpretation of a scientific index that he and Bennett support, "immigrants are a blessing, not a curse."
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/immigrat/miles2f.htm (broken link)

Kemp supported rights for illegal immigrants, but opposed Lamar Smith and Alan Simpson's proposed restrictions on legal immigration
Closing the Golden Door - US News and World Report

You can hardly call him a Republican. He is an Illegal Immigrant supporter, so much for that "Republican" article. Facts Sur.. stop wasting my time please.And I forgot to mention, no one is contesting that California is a Blue state- as I have told you time and again. the issue of Illegal Immigration crosses party lines, and the "Sleeping Giant" does not exist. Nice try though, make sure you keep what I say in context, tired to clarifying the same points over and over..

Last edited by Iceman82; 05-22-2010 at 02:21 PM..

Old 05-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Iceman, for someone who lives in California I think you are a bit naive if you actually believe what your write. I applaud your interest though & glad you enjoy politics like I do. But I can tell you with guarantees that a pro-Arizona law candidate for governor of California is like a death sentence for any Republican or Democrat. Concern about the border is much different than insulting a huge part of the electorate. You will be disappointed, I'm afraid in November but I suspect that is normal for anyone who is Republican in California.
Do you really believe that? it's ok Sur, you can call me naive if you would like.. but so far I am the only one with solid Evidence to support my stance. Now you are gonna start pulling the race card "Concern about the border is much different than insulting a huge part of the electorate." Lol... I didnt know this HUGE part of the electorate existed, all 6.7% of voters across the nation? or the 17% of total votes in California? or the (according to your numbers) 27% of that 17% total that DO support laws against Illegal Immigration? I know the Rhetoric you spew makes you feel all fuzzy inside- just give me facts, and I will agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or