U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:46 AM

4,383 posts, read 8,709,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
All R's sponsoring the Federal Bill.

Now what is wrong with this legislation, why no Democrat support?
It would be unconstitutional that is what is wrong with it? Which would of course require an amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 AM

20,894 posts, read 13,145,829 times
Quote:
All R's sponsoring the Federal Bill.

Now what is wrong with this legislation, why no Democrat support?
You mean... other than that you can't amend the Constitution with a mere statute?

Old 05-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
The original law was to protect the rights of the occassional situation in which an innocent person would have had no knowledge that their parents may have been here illegally - It was not intended for mass immigration.
Who knew that the US Constitution was even concerned with immigration at all? I can't even find the word anywhere within it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
It was meant for people that were born here and their parents had some type of allegience to this country. Parents that are here legally but for whatever reason are not citizens at the time the kid was born.
Strange. The 14th Amendment never mentions "parents" or "allegiance" once.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:20 AM

2,470 posts, read 2,023,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Pregnant women from all over the world are coming here..did you know that ? It's not just Mexicans.
Living in Phoenix for over 20 years now and having done volunteer work here in the past, I'm very familiar with the situation but, I can honestly say that in every situation I know of, the woman/family was always here from Mexico. I haven't been invoved in the volunteer work I was doing any time recently and if I was, I'd probably be aware of what you pointed out, otherwise I haven't heard much about that here.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 AM

17,039 posts, read 11,416,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100521/pl_ynews/ynews_pl2192 - broken link)

"The author of Arizona's immigration law told constituents he wants to pass another measure to invalidate citizenship granted to the children of illegal aliens."

This man should run for President.

Thank goodness! This insane policy was created at the end of the Civil War to protect the citizenship status for the the children of slaves. Of course it was a good idea then. However, the "anchor baby" policy is insanity that further invites illegals to our country and gives them a foothold that no other nation offers.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Thank goodness! This insane policy was created at the end of the Civil War to protect the citizenship status for the the children of slaves. Of course it was a good idea then. However, the "anchor baby" policy is insanity that further invites illegals to our country and gives them a foothold that no other nation offers.
Uh... actually, birthright citizenship exists at least 35 other countries, to include both Canada and Mexico.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:21 AM

44,924 posts, read 27,095,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Or Rupert Murdoch's.
Do you want to take the naturalized citizenship away from every body that doesn't agree with you? Is sure sounds like you do. Some of our most loyal citizens are naturalized and that is more than one of the best known questionable citizens can, or will prove.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Let's see - demanding that everyone carry their papers at all times and no birthright citizenship - sounds quite French to me.

I didn't know conservatives were such great admirers of France. I could've thought otherwise a few years ago. If they want to emulate those French policies, do they want to emulate French health care policy too?

And it's not like France doesn't have problems with illegal immigration. So obviously those policies don't keep out illegals.
My "papers" are always with me because it is required that I show one of them if I make a mistake driving. The other is also a card like my DL which is like my Master Card and it is proof of my birth being registered by my parents. I don't think any illegal citizens have "papers" like that but some do have access to all kinds of illegal "papers", even DLs.

One of the worst decisions my state representative ever made was that in order for illegals in Kansas to buy auto insurance they needed DLs. This guy was an old student of mine from high school but his mother influenced him more than I did and he was a liberal thinking Democrat.

You people keep howling papers and I have carried mine ever since I can remember. Legal, even in Arizona in August, but illegals have to commit one more crime by "buying" illegal 'papers'.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
If they have probable cause, for example if a cop saw this it would be probable cause to search a car for drugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ozk7fnKilU
Hey thanks for that little thing starring Cheech and Chong. I think we have several on this thread who think a lot like they did back in the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or