U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:15 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times

Advertisements

This mania regarding this bill proves the sentiment of those here illegally-pure ignorance.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:29 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Papers?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I carry my state driver's license with me at all times.

Pretty sure that's enough identification for any police officer.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:34 AM

Unfortunately there are still some States who issue drivers licenses to those here illegally.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Unfortunately there are still some States who issue drivers licenses to those here illegally.
Yep, 11 of them to be exact. Arizona is not one of those treasonous states. Still, 39 to 11 are pretty good odds.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM

It should be 50-0 but agreed.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 AM

5,370 posts, read 4,485,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Lol.. you can give officers pertinent information if you "forgot" your wallet at home. IF you cannot remember your SSN, DL#, DOB, current home address, or legal name.. I would hope they would hook you up. The police can find out who you are easily enough.. even without an ID. I was going to return a video to Blockbuster late at night, ran out and forgot my wallet. Got pulled over for a taillight being burned out. explained to the officer I forgot my wallet at home. He asked me a series of questions (DOB, DL number, current address) went to his car and ran it through the database. came back and wrote me a fix it ticket- thats all. There is no "reasonable suspicion" if you are able to give the officer pertinent information that can be verified quickly by the use of computers. Concerning the whole drunk man analogy- if you are breaking Federal (and now state) laws why would you point out another lawbreaker? guess being on the lam has it's drawbacks right?
None of these things listed, (DL#, DOB, current home address, or legal name) require you to be a 'citizen'. Based on the law, the police officer would have to arrest you at the point of contact, not wait till they could verify anything.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 AM

5,370 posts, read 4,485,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Yep, 11 of them to be exact. Arizona is not one of those treasonous states. Still, 39 to 11 are pretty good odds.
But you don't have to be a US citizen in any of the states to get one.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
But you don't have to be a US citizen in any of the states to get one.
Looking into this issue this morning, I found that the number of states allowing drivers licenses for illegal aliens has dropped to seven.

Even where it’s legal, it’s getting tougher for illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses. North Carolina and Tennessee stopped issuing licenses to illegal immigrants altogether. Meanwhile, New Mexico’s motor vehicle agency enlisted the Mexican government to help the state check the identity of would-be drivers. Maine is working to start limiting licenses to in-state residents, after decades of resisting.

Only seven states – Hawaii, Maine, Michigan, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah and Washington – allow illegal immigrants to get driver’s licenses.

In the 43 states which do not issue drivers licenses to illegal aliens, non-citizens must be legal green card holders to obtain a license.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 AM

8,244 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
None of these things listed, (DL#, DOB, current home address, or legal name) require you to be a 'citizen'. Based on the law, the police officer would have to arrest you at the point of contact, not wait till they could verify anything.
That? Is pure BS. Nowhere in the law does it say anything like that. Doing something like that would bring on a flood of lawsuits and I doubt very much anyone wants that to happen. We may be dumb but we ain't stupid!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:04 AM

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Quote:

You are not required to prove citizenship when stopped by an officer for an offense. You do need to show identification. If you have no id and cant verify your identification or have false identification there would be reason for suspicion and reason to inquire about your legal status. When the AZ law goes into effect, it will allow officers to ask and verify your status if you can not produce reasonable identification. At this point you may be detained until you can be verified. Remember you had to have been doing something, illegal for which you would be arrested/detained anyway or had a traffic violation (need dl) to begin with to have gotten to this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration