U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,034,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I just don't know how a Hispanic is not going to look like he or she is not Hispanic. There is a little bit of racial profiling that has to take place. I mean, they don't look Irish and they are coming from south of the border. It's a no-brainer if you aren't falling into the political correctness well that leaves so many brain dead.
Almost every supporter of the bill on this forum disagrees with you. They say you are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM

5,938 posts, read 6,383,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
I often don't carry state issued ID, sometimes I carry my work ID, or library card, YMCA id, school ID, but no state issued ID. Does that mean I'm probably an illegal alien?
Forget the new law for a moment. Now when someone is stopped for any violation of the law, what do you think the officer does when you have no ID on you. The officer is not going to let you leave until they can ID you. He will take down your information and run it in the database.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:17 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,860,316 times
Quote:
According to the Arizona bill, none of those things are an acceptable form of identification. Read the bill.
I am a lawyer and have read the bill.

This is what I wrote, suggest you read posts more carefully.

"Lots of things to identify yourself with that can be checked in a hurry by law enforcement."

Old 05-24-2010, 05:21 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,034,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Forget the new law for a moment. Now when someone is stopped for any violation of the law, what do you think the officer does when you have no ID on you. The officer is not going to let you leave until they can ID you. He will take down your information and run it in the database.
I seriously doubt my information as a Chicago resident is easily accessible to a local LE agent in Arizona. I also didn't get my drivers license till I was 19. How could he access that info easily. Sure, he can eventually get the info, but how long will it take. One trucker was recently detained for 4 hours. WTF!!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM

2,847 posts, read 1,860,316 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt my information as a Chicago resident is easily accessible to a local LE agent in Arizona. I also didn't get my drivers license till I was 19. How could he access that info easily. Sure, he can eventually get the info, but how long will it take. One trucker was recently detained for 4 hours. WTF!!
wrong, it is accessible within 10 minutes through a national police sharing data base.

your comment from another thread:
Local law enforcement agencies have access to nationwide database of selective service records? How far back do these records go to, the 60's, 50's?
DDA records got back to the 40's for ID, still used readily today for veterans affairs and home loans for veterans.

you can google it DD-214

Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.

Last edited by BestintheWest; 05-24-2010 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-24-2010, 05:53 PM

41,314 posts, read 38,570,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I just don't know how a Hispanic is not going to look like he or she is not Hispanic. There is a little bit of racial profiling that has to take place. I mean, they don't look Irish and they are coming from south of the border. It's a no-brainer if you aren't falling into the political correctness well that leaves so many brain dead.
Why would that even come into play?

Say a driver is stopped for running a red light.

First thing ALL cops do is ask for license and registration...right?

Driver has NO identification at all.

First off, is it against the law to drive without a license and insurance - YES.

Some states the driver might even be arrested.

If he is hispanic, there is a good shot he's illegal, if he can't produce ONE stitch of identification.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:40 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,703,406 times
Quote:
That's the issue most opponents have of the Arizona law. Asking someone who has not been lawfully arrested to prove their citizenship is a problem many of the critics have. The California law also does not allow race to be used as a factor.
Funny, years ago when I got my last ticket, I had to show the officer my drivers license AND proof of insurance.

Now, what do you suppose he'd have done if I couldn't produce either?

Let me drive merrily away with a jaunty wave and an impish grin?

Somehow I seriously doubt it.

I probably would have taken a nifty little ride downtown in the back of a squad car whereupon I would have had to prove who I am. There would likely be a lively discussion as to why I was driving with no license and no insurance and I doubt I would merely walk away with a slap on the wrist and a "have a nice day."

My inability to produce a drivers license and insurance, two items required of drivers in this country, would have provoked reasonable suspicion.

Why should illegal aliens fair any better?

Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 PM

5,938 posts, read 6,383,613 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
wrong, it is accessible within 10 minutes through a national police sharing data base.
your comment from another thread:
Local law enforcement agencies have access to nationwide database of selective service records? How far back do these records go to, the 60's, 50's?
DDA records got back to the 40's for ID, still used readily today for veterans affairs and home loans for veterans.

you can google it DD-214

Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, and the NAVCG 553.
Exactly. These computer databases can access records super fast.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:44 PM

364 posts, read 185,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Funny, years ago when I got my last ticket, I had to show the officer my drivers license AND proof of insurance.

Now, what do you suppose he'd have done if I couldn't produce either?

Let me drive merrily away with a jaunty wave and an impish grin?

Somehow I seriously doubt it.

I probably would have taken a nifty little ride downtown in the back of a squad car whereupon I would have had to prove who I am. There would likely be a lively discussion as to why I was driving with no license and no insurance and I doubt I would merely walk away with a slap on the wrist and a "have a nice day."

My inability to produce a drivers license and insurance, two items required of drivers in this country, would have provoked reasonable suspicion.

Why should illegal aliens fair any better?
i def carry liscense and insurance whn drivin
dont want tha man hasslin me

Old 05-25-2010, 01:57 AM

1,150 posts, read 993,172 times
LE always wants to know who thy're dealing with when they stop someone thus the request for ID. The person may be an escaped prisoner, or there may be a warrant for their arrest. An officer who doesn't know who he's dealing with is taking his life in his hands, so he has every right to determine exactly who that person is. If, during the course of the investigation, it turns out the person is an illegal alien, the officer has an obligation to report them to ICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or