U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-24-2010, 06:54 PM

47,991 posts, read 43,478,470 times
strange last time i cruised i was asked to show birth certificate. was i supposed to feel humiliated and morally outraged? btw i speak spanish.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:04 PM

3,855 posts, read 2,348,345 times
When did the OP say this had anything to do with SB1070?

but since you fail to see the un-connected reality, here...when traveling through AZ, please bring every form of ID you have. Maybe even a letter from the Obstetrician that delivered you!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 PM

47,354 posts, read 37,345,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJackson1980 View Post
i also smell a rat
more to tha story than bein told by tha man
I agree with you, first he said, he didn't show any proof, and I find it close to unbelievable he stopped at the regular truck stop and for no reason was given a rough time..

Nita

Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 PM

47,354 posts, read 37,345,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
strange last time i cruised i was asked to show birth certificate. was i supposed to feel humiliated and morally outraged? btw i speak spanish.
and another form of ID right, unless you had a passport. I will add, you can not enter Mexico or Canada by car,train or plane anymore without a passport..So why are so many upset about asking for ID to enter our country ?

Nita

Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 PM

14 posts, read 908 times
To those saying there is more to the story, what is your 'reasonable suspicion'?

This also shows that someone who may look and even sound like the stereotype of an illegal, might not be one. You cant patrol for illegals on the street looking for people suspicious of "looking" illegal

Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 PM

131 posts, read 232,670 times
I really wouldn't attribute this to his race, but more or less how he answered the questions. This happened well before SB1070. Unfortunately, police often ask questions which only affirm reasons for them to have suspicion, regardless of race.

Take the "right to remain silent" seriously.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:26 PM

238 posts, read 434,855 times
I understand the need to have ID papers to show your legal status in this country. I am foreign born and migrated to the US via legal means. The thing is when you are here on a visa, you would have to carry your passport everywhere, this is really not very practical. How many of you carry your passport around when you are visiting a foreign country? Once you have cleared the border control and get to your destination you leave it there, you don't carry it around. Once you get your permanent residence card you are also asked to keep it in a safe place.

For American born citizens, how practical is it to carry your birth certificate wherever you go? It's OK if you know you are going somewhere like the DMVA where you will need it, but just anywhere?

I thought showing your driving licence was enough pretty much to show that you are here legally? I had to show proof of my legal status here to get my American driving licence.

On another note, it is very possible to be American born and brought up abroad, hence the accent.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:32 PM

2,293 posts, read 1,136,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
When did the OP say this had anything to do with SB1070?

but since you fail to see the un-connected reality, here...when traveling through AZ, please bring every form of ID you have. Maybe even a letter from the Obstetrician that delivered you!
Yes, you're right, this has nothing to do with SB1070....not only is the law not in effect yet but, this incident involved ICE at a wiegh station in a suburb of Phoenix (202 and Val Vista). That means it was federal authorities doing this not, local LE. Besides that the SB1070 law states that showing an AZ drivers license to LE while being stopped for a traffic violation by them, is enough to automatically assume the person is here legally and therefore gives LE no reason to suspect otherwise.

The problem this truck driver had is with the federal government and their enforcement of federal immigration laws, Arizona's SB1070 doesn't allow for this to happen.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:59 PM

1,474 posts, read 1,373,785 times
Wait a minuter, wait a minute..........................It wasnt the Arizona POLICE,
it was FEDERAL AGENTS,ICE, enforcing Federal LAW.................

so why is this news...........it doesnt even fit into the Arizona LAW is illegal claim cause it was the FEDS'S

Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 PM

6,181 posts, read 3,072,404 times
Bravo Foxtrot Delta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration