U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,137,446 times
Reputation: 1098

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not sure what he can expand on. It's all pretty factual.

This was before the AZ law was signed and is based on federal jurisdiction and federal law.

The guy wasn't pulled over. He was a commercial truck driver who had to go through a weigh station.

At the weigh station ICE (federal) were asking questions and they must not of liked his answers so they detained him until they could get one that fit their standards.

In the AZ law presenting an AZ DL would be sufficient to remove reasonable suspicion of status and the driver would not of been able to be questioned any further. This is the wording within the law.

If this was the AZ law he would not of been detained.
Thanks, I guess I was wanting an update if we could find one.

I found it strange that he says he was born in the US and still holds a very prominent Mexican accent. Then I read, somewhere, that he said his mother lives in Mexico. For me, I would want to see if his papers were falsified, hence, the birth certificate required.

My son just found out that a Hispanic has his social security number. We are going to have to take care of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
 
8,936 posts, read 15,854,556 times
Reputation: 6649
Ah, OK.

I believe they had his original paperwork from Fresno - from what I could make of the story the ICE agent was asking about his family, where he was born, etc and wasn't getting any really clear answers or answers that were consistent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Since you are incapable of this yourself, nut, I will explain once:

1. You aren't required to carry around all of those papers, so the fact that the man needed them was outrageous.

2. I never said that you can tell, are you not capable of reading whole posts? Apparently not because if you looked at the post I quoted, you could see that one of your Conservative buddies said essentially that.

3. You popped up out of nowhere to continuously post parlor trick responses and say that to me? Your name fits you well.
Apparently then, you have a problem with ICE.

This is was federal matter which simply happened to occur in Arizona. It could have easily have been Any State, USA.

I would suggest that you contact the federal government to express your outrage over how this situation was handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
 
364 posts, read 184,416 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Apparently then, you have a problem with ICE.

This is was federal matter which simply happened to occur in Arizona. It could have easily have been Any State, USA.

I would suggest that you contact the federal government to express your outrage over how this situation was handled.
yup kele is rite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 07:45 PM
 
438 posts, read 435,834 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm american-born, brown-skinned, and I have been racially profiled at the airport for years. So somehow that's ok while profiling for illegals is not?
Flying is a luxury and not part of everyday life for the majority of Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 09:21 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacNW transplant View Post
Flying is a luxury and not part of everyday life for the majority of Americans.
Oh, okay...now I understand.

There ARE occasions when racial profiling is warranted, but NOT if it could possibly inconvenience illegal aliens who may or may not be Hispanic.

Got it.

Whew! I sure am glad you cleared that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,470 posts, read 2,019,424 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
This is interesting. Could you elaborate a little more?
The article explains that he was detained by ICE and when they asked about the incident, they explained that it was standard operating procedure. 202 and Val Vista (which is a road and not a town) is in east Mesa (the north end of Mesa....maybe just beyond the city border...in either case it's within the greater Phoenix area).

The new AZ law isn't in effect yet but, when it does go into effect an AZ driver's license is considered proof that a person is here legally. In AZ you have to show your birth certificate to get your driver's liense. The SB1070 reads on the second page (which is actually labeled page 1) at the bottom:

"A PERSON IS PRESUMED TO NOT BE AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IF THE PERSON PROVIDES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR AGENCY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. A VALID ARIZONA DRIVER LICENSE.

2. A VALID ARIZONA NONOPERATING IDENTIFICATION LICENSE.

3. A VALID TRIBAL ENROLLMENT CARD OR OTHER FORM OF TRIBAL IDENTIFICATION.

4. IF THE ENTITY REQUIRES PROOF OF LEGAL PRESENCE IN THE UNITED STATES BEFORE ISSUANCE, ANY VALID UNITED STATES FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION. "

I had already posted links to the revised text of SB1070 (which includes the changes made from amendment HB2162) on another post on a similar topic...here's the link to it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/982042-la-mayor-responds-az-threat-over-8.html#post14295574

The pdf file is very good, it shows the original text in one color and the changes made by the amendment in another color. You'll notice also on that post is a link to an executive order from the governor which requires a board to establish guidelines and training for LE regarding the new law so that citizen rights are not abused in any way (profiling).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,470 posts, read 2,019,424 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The law hasn't gone into effect yet and already there are problems.
"Already there are problems".......I'm glad you can see that this is a problem, the only thing is you make it sound like this problem has something to do with the new law going into effect shortly.This is the way it's being done now and always has been by federal authorities here in AZ, not state or local LE. This truck driver was detained by ICE, that's federal immigration which enforces federal immigration laws. The new law is for state and local law enforcement and would not have allowed this if it involved state or local LE. The new law doesn't apply to federal authorities (ICE) and they'll continue to do things the way they always have when they enforce federal immigration laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Saying and doing are two different things.
I know, which is exactly the problem with the federal government enforcing federal immigration laws and creating some kind of immigration reform as well...it's been a lot of lip service. This is why AZ is doing and not saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,137,446 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
The article explains that he was detained by ICE and when they asked about the incident, they explained that it was standard operating procedure. 202 and Val Vista (which is a road and not a town) is in east Mesa (the north end of Mesa....maybe just beyond the city border...in either case it's within the greater Phoenix area).

The new AZ law isn't in effect yet but, when it does go into effect an AZ driver's license is considered proof that a person is here legally. In AZ you have to show your birth certificate to get your driver's liense. The SB1070 reads on the second page (which is actually labeled page 1) at the bottom:

"A PERSON IS PRESUMED TO NOT BE AN ALIEN WHO IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES IF THE PERSON PROVIDES TO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER OR AGENCY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. A VALID ARIZONA DRIVER LICENSE.

2. A VALID ARIZONA NONOPERATING IDENTIFICATION LICENSE.

3. A VALID TRIBAL ENROLLMENT CARD OR OTHER FORM OF TRIBAL IDENTIFICATION.

4. IF THE ENTITY REQUIRES PROOF OF LEGAL PRESENCE IN THE UNITED STATES BEFORE ISSUANCE, ANY VALID UNITED STATES FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL GOVERNMENT ISSUED IDENTIFICATION. "

I had already posted links to the revised text of SB1070 (which includes the changes made from amendment HB2162) on another post on a similar topic...here's the link to it:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/illegal-immigration/982042-la-mayor-responds-az-threat-over-8.html#post14295574

The pdf file is very good, it shows the original text in one color and the changes made by the amendment in another color. You'll notice also on that post is a link to an executive order from the governor which requires a board to establish guidelines and training for LE regarding the new law so that citizen rights are not abused in any way (profiling).
Thanks for the info. Is there an update, by any source, elaborating on the incident as to why he was stopped and detained? Most of the comments seem to be speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 11:27 PM
 
760 posts, read 1,083,137 times
Reputation: 334
I heard about this story today on talk radio. The caller made a statement "If the truck driver doesn't want to be pulled over, maybe he should go back to Mexico where they will treat him worse" Don't know what to make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top