U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-26-2010, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,470 posts, read 2,018,742 times
Reputation: 465

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there an update, by any source, elaborating on the incident as to why he was stopped and detained? Most of the comments seem to be speculation.
He had a CDL (commercial drivers license) and he was at a weigh station so, yes it's an assumption but, I would think he had to stop to get weighed....he was driving a truck. If you're driving a truck and there's a weigh station that's open, you have to pull in. Usually the state police (or maybe some kind of federal LE) are there to inspect the trucks and check their weight because, weigh stations are on interstate highways...that would be their jurisdiction, rather than county or local LE) but, what ever the case what's very clear in the article, is that this truck driver had to answer to ICE (which is federal). What ended up getting him detained by ICE until he proved his citizenship, most likely started out because of something else he was in violation of....like something having to do with the load he was hauling (especially if it was from Mexico).

What's so crazy is that things like this have always happened with ICE or the U.S. Border Patrol when they enforce federal immigration laws. For the longest time, if you drove from San Diego to Los Angeles, the Border Patrol stopped the entire highway and asked everyone in the car their country of origin...when it got backed up, they'd start letting cars pass without asking them anything (and I'm sure that involved profiling all the time when they did that). I was told in another thread, that the check point is no longer there so, they stopped it but, it must have been fairly recent (within the last few years) and I can remember it being there as far back as 20+ years ago. They stopped cars for no reason, other than to inquire as to what each occupants immigration status was. Here's a link I had posted in another thread about how federal authorities enforcce federal immigration laws:

The new in 'n' out - immigration checkpoints in San Diego | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Now that article is dated 5/7/2008 but, as you can read the border patrol sets up check points and boards buses that are about to enter Mexico and detains people without proper documentation so, the can record that they been here illegally before allowing them to continue on back into Mexico.

The crazy part is the federal authorities have always been overwhelmed enforcing the law but, when they have, things like this happen all the time....which is exactly the kind of things some critics of SB1070 claim AZ law enforcement will be doing when the law goes into effect. The fact is though, SB1070 is very specific and does not allow profiling to be used. SB1070 states LE must have a reason to stop someone (they have to have reason to believe a violation or law has been broken or being broken) and then they still need to have reasonable suspicion to inquire about the persons immigration status (and the basis for their reasonable suspicion can not be race, color or country of origin).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
For the longest time, if you drove from San Diego to Los Angeles, the Border Patrol stopped the entire highway and asked everyone in the car their country of origin...when it got backed up, they'd start letting cars pass without asking them anything (and I'm sure that involved profiling all the time when they did that). I was told in another thread, that the check point is no longer there so, they stopped it but, it must have been fairly recent (within the last few years) and I can remember it being there as far back as 20+ years ago. They stopped cars for no reason, other than to inquire as to what each occupants immigration status was.
The check point is still there. I went through it a few weeks ago. As I was traveling toward San Diego passing the check point, all cars were stopped going toward Los Angeles as they checked the occupants of one car. The back up was for miles.

However, when returning to Los Angeles, the check point was closed. I was told by locals that it closes at various times during the day. But it is most definitely still there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 07:30 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,061 posts, read 30,586,259 times
Reputation: 12811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
"Already there are problems".......I'm glad you can see that this is a problem, the only thing is you make it sound like this problem has something to do with the new law going into effect shortly.This is the way it's being done now and always has been by federal authorities here in AZ, not state or local LE. This truck driver was detained by ICE, that's federal immigration which enforces federal immigration laws. The new law is for state and local law enforcement and would not have allowed this if it involved state or local LE. The new law doesn't apply to federal authorities (ICE) and they'll continue to do things the way they always have when they enforce federal immigration laws.



I know, which is exactly the problem with the federal government enforcing federal immigration laws and creating some kind of immigration reform as well...it's been a lot of lip service. This is why AZ is doing and not saying.


All I can say is, This is going to be awesome!!

It is a day late and a dollar short!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 07:33 AM
 
16,438 posts, read 18,510,024 times
Reputation: 9490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
So what! I was forced to show my birth certificate to get a drivers license. The race baiters need to shut the heck up!
I agree. This sort of incident is a regretable but necessary inconvenience to restore the sovereign security of our borders.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
Thanks for the info. Is there an update, by any source, elaborating on the incident as to why he was stopped and detained? Most of the comments seem to be speculation.
I am not aware of any updates on this incident. However, U.S. Customs was involved so it is quite likely that the load he was carrying was suspect.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,470 posts, read 2,018,742 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
The check point is still there. I went through it a few weeks ago. As I was traveling toward San Diego passing the check point, all cars were stopped going toward Los Angeles as they checked the occupants of one car. The back up was for miles.

However, when returning to Los Angeles, the check point was closed. I was told by locals that it closes at various times during the day. But it is most definitely still there.
Really, I mentioned it in another thread and another poster jumped all over me about it calling what I said utter nonsense...here's the link:

Republicans boycotting Arizona!

I guess he doesn't make the drive as frequent as he thinks he does.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Really, I mentioned it in another thread and another poster jumped all over me about it calling what I said utter nonsense...here's the link:

Republicans boycotting Arizona!

I guess he doesn't make the drive as frequent as he thinks he does.
Here is the problem. You made a statement in which part of it was bolded:

"If you've ever driven north from San Diego on the interstate, you know that before reaching Los Angeles, the border patrol stops every car on the highway and questions all the occupants in the vehicle what their country of origin is."

This statement is inaccurate. The border patrol does not stop every car and question them. Most cars are waved through the checkpoint. But there are times when a car is stopped and questioned and possibly detained.

I hope this clarifies the situation.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 04:04 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
2,470 posts, read 2,018,742 times
Reputation: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Here is the problem. You made a statement in which part of it was bolded:

"If you've ever driven north from San Diego on the interstate, you know that before reaching Los Angeles, the border patrol stops every car on the highway and questions all the occupants in the vehicle what their country of origin is."

This statement is inaccurate. The border patrol does not stop every car and question them. Most cars are waved through the checkpoint. But there are times when a car is stopped and questioned and possibly detained.

I hope this clarifies the situation.
I didn't make it bold, he made it bold to show me what he was commenting about. It depends on how busy traffic is at that check point....I've been through it when they stopped every car and leaned in the window to ask each occupant their country of origin. I've also seen it when it was very backed up and they start waving cars through without making them stop.
When I used to drive through it, there were cones set up in every lane and a border agent standing off to the side of each lane either waving cars through or stopping them to ask the question(s).....you don't know if you're going to get waved through until it's your turn to pull up to the border agent.

On a side note, they do (or did) the same thing going from Phoenix to Los Angeles as soon as you enter California but, for a different reason, it's a quarantine....they ask you if you have any fruit, vegetables or plants in the car. I'm not sure if they still do it but, it was operating in full force back when the Mediterranean fruit fly was threatening to wipe out everything in California.

In practice though, with the public being so critical of the authorities profiling people now, unless they initially treat every vehicle the same way, they're profiling. I realize they're waving cars through because they're backing up traffic and need to relieve the congestion they've created but, unless they do something like stop every fifth or tenth vehicle regardless of who's in it, it's profiling. When the border agent is waving cars through and then suddenly decides to stop one and ask the occupants their country of origin, how is he/she determining which car to stop other than looking at the vehicle and the people inside of it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 07:39 AM
 
2,222 posts, read 9,137,109 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
I didn't make it bold, he made it bold to show me what he was commenting about. It depends on how busy traffic is at that check point....I've been through it when they stopped every car and leaned in the window to ask each occupant their country of origin. I've also seen it when it was very backed up and they start waving cars through without making them stop.
When I used to drive through it, there were cones set up in every lane and a border agent standing off to the side of each lane either waving cars through or stopping them to ask the question(s).....you don't know if you're going to get waved through until it's your turn to pull up to the border agent.

On a side note, they do (or did) the same thing going from Phoenix to Los Angeles as soon as you enter California but, for a different reason, it's a quarantine....they ask you if you have any fruit, vegetables or plants in the car. I'm not sure if they still do it but, it was operating in full force back when the Mediterranean fruit fly was threatening to wipe out everything in California.

In practice though, with the public being so critical of the authorities profiling people now, unless they initially treat every vehicle the same way, they're profiling. I realize they're waving cars through because they're backing up traffic and need to relieve the congestion they've created but, unless they do something like stop every fifth or tenth vehicle regardless of who's in it, it's profiling. When the border agent is waving cars through and then suddenly decides to stop one and ask the occupants their country of origin, how is he/she determining which car to stop other than looking at the vehicle and the people inside of it.
You made the comment and the poster bolded the part that they did not agree with. Your comment was incorrect. That is what they were responding to. I wasn't confused about it.

As far as profiling, I do not agree. I have driven through that checkpoint and was stopped and questioned. I don't look Hispanic. So they stopped me for some other reason. Same thing happened to me when I crossed over into Yuma from Mexico a few years ago. They even searched my car. And that was on the Mexico side. Were they profiling, thinking me a drug smuggler? I don't know, nor do I care. I didn't get myself all in a bunch over it. I had nothing to hide, they did their job. I left. No biggie.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Reputation: 17687
I've been stopped at the North check point, the East check point and at the border. I answered the questions, they looked into my truck and low and behold I was allowed to travel on. Now, if I didn't speak English or couldn't answer where I lived or the like then ya, I probably was going to secondary.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top