U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:03 PM

131 posts, read 349,452 times

Advertisements

http://www.azleg.gov/alispdfs/council/SB1070-HB2162.PDF

Actual bill pulled off the azleg.gov website. I suggest you read it before "debating" anything.

Last edited by geekygisela; 05-24-2010 at 07:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 PM

2,914 posts, read 4,154,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekygisela View Post
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

Actual bill pulled off the azleg.gov website. I suggest you read it before "debating" anything.
Absolutely. The bill is all over the net, although the one I read is 19 pages, not 10. +1

Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM

16+1 with this. I think it was basically how the text is formated. This is all caps, so a bit of a pain to read on your eyes.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 PM

349 posts, read 393,999 times
Quote:
http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/sb1070s.pdf

This actually isn't the text of the bill that was passed.

This is the link to the bill that will be enacted should it be allowed. It includes the original language and the amendments.

http://www.azleg.gov/alispdfs/council/SB1070-HB2162.PDF

Old 05-24-2010, 07:15 PM

Ah... that actually was the one I was looking for. The one I picked out didn't have the watermark.

Edit: Fixed link, plus +1 rep!

Old 05-24-2010, 07:42 PM

14 posts, read 6,149 times
What the pro-SB 1070 people seem to have a hard time understanding, is that it isn't always a debate over what the bill SAYS. It doesn't have to specifically say racial profiling. The debate is how the bill will be interpreted and put into action.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira7 View Post
What the pro-SB 1070 people seem to have a hard time understanding, is that it isn't always a debate over what the bill SAYS. It doesn't have to specifically say racial profiling. The debate is how the bill will be interpreted and put into action.
These are purely hypothetical situations at this point. I really don't understand why anyone would support these illegal immigrants.

Any legal citizen of the US should not have a problem with this law. This is far from the despicable Patriot Act. Anyone detained by law enforcement will has to prove their identity in one way or another. I would know, because I was detained at the Canadian border around Niagara Falls. I lost my driver's license while out with some friends.

Even with blonde hair, and blue eyes... if you cannot prove you are a legal resident, appropriate action should be taken, period.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:52 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira7 View Post
That is just an assumption on your part. We can assume a negative in the enforcement of any of our laws but that doesn't necessarily make it so. Sure there has been racial profiling done in the enforcement of our laws before but are these remote incidents or are they rampant? The law prohibits racial profiling. If an officer ignores that then they need to be dealt with and removed from their job but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Most officers are honest and follow policy. If you are looking for a perfect world and perfect human beings then perhaps you might find another planet to live on. Making laws and enforcing them is just a necessary evil and always will be.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:06 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,031,310 times
Quote:
These are purely hypothetical situations at this point. I really don't understand why anyone would support these illegal immigrants.
I don't understand how someone doesnt' understand that this isn't about illegal immigrant rights this is about American rights. Question over every illegal immigrant from NYC to LA for all I care, just don't question me, an American citizen.

Quote:
Any legal citizen of the US should not have a problem with this law. This is far from the despicable Patriot Act. Anyone detained by law enforcement will has to prove their identity in one way or another.
The law states that anyone STOPPED has to prove their legal residency. I have no problem verifying legal status for someone arrested, but STOPPED? Give me a break. I've been stopped numerous times in the past when I did not commit a crime. One time I was looking for my friends house in an unfamiliar neighborhood and was STOPPED. I was walking, not driving. Should I have had to prove my citizenship in this situation?
Quote:
I would know, because I was detained at the Canadian border around Niagara Falls. I lost my driver's license while out with some friends.
You should be detained at any border.

Quote:
Even with blonde hair, and blue eyes... if you cannot prove you are a legal resident, appropriate action should be taken, period.
The law allows race to be one factor in determing who is illegal. Why?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:50 AM

10,543 posts, read 11,680,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
The law states that anyone STOPPED has to prove their legal residency. I have no problem verifying legal status for someone arrested, but STOPPED? Give me a break. I've been stopped numerous times in the past when I did not commit a crime. One time I was looking for my friends house in an unfamiliar neighborhood and was STOPPED. I was walking, not driving. Should I have had to prove my citizenship in this situation?

The law allows race to be one factor in determing who is illegal. Why?
Again, you either didn't read it or chose to misrepresent what it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration