U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2010, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,254,394 times
Reputation: 2521

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Not having ID will probably be a good first step.

Not speaking English is probably another good indication.

Not being able to give an address is a good indicator as well.
Yeah, I don't know how you can link any of those three things to being an illegal immigrant. There are plenty of examples of people who could potentially fail to do any one or a combination of those three things who is legally documented to be here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,801 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Reputation: 17694
I came across this


Green Card Processing, USA/US Green Cards, Permanent Resident Card, Immigrant Visas, Greencard Application Process (http://www.immspec.com/green-card.htm - broken link)

A U.S. permanent resident always keeps the green card in his/her possession at all times. To be exact, the resident must have a currently valid green card available at all times,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 11:53 AM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Reputation: 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Yeah, I don't know how you can link any of those three things to being an illegal immigrant. There are plenty of examples of people who could potentially fail to do any one or a combination of those three things who is legally documented to be here.

These things add up to "reasonable suspicion" that someone may be here illegally, which can form the basis of further inquiry into legal status.

That is how "reasonable suspicion" and "probable cause" work.

Again, however, if you are a lawfully permanent resident, you are REQUIRED to have your "green card" present at all times:

Green Card Processing, USA/US Green Cards, Permanent Resident Card, Immigrant Visas, Greencard Application Process (http://www.immspec.com/green-card.htm - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
A U.S. permanent resident always keeps the green card in his/her possession at all times. To be exact, the resident must have a currently valid green card available at all times, to show to a USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services) officer, when asked. The US law requires that the immigrant must carry his/her identification cards, but US citizens are not. This is because the citizen is qualified for more constitutional rights than a permanent resident, who is still classified as foreign national.

My father has a heavy accent. He is not a US Citizen, but has a greencard. He keeps it in his wallet at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,254,394 times
Reputation: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Again, however, if you are a lawfully permanent resident, you are REQUIRED to have your "green card" present at all times:

Green Card Processing, USA/US Green Cards, Permanent Resident Card, Immigrant Visas, Greencard Application Process. (http://www.immspec.com/green-card.htm - broken link)
That is a third-party website, any way you can find that on the government immigration site? My wife is a permanent resident and that alleged rule was never discussed with her at any point during her immigration process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Reputation: 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That is a third-party website, any way you can find that on the government immigration site? My wife is a permanent resident and that alleged rule was never discussed with her at any point during her immigration process.
I do not have time to search the immigration code.

However, please refer to the following guide for New Immigrants, published the Department of Immigration.

See Page 8:

As a permanent resident, it is your responsibility to:
• Obey all federal, state, and local laws.
• Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
• Register with the Selective Service (U.S. Armed
Forces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26.
See page 11 for instructions.
• Maintain your immigration status.
• Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all
times.
• Change your address online or provide it in writing
to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
within 10 days of each time you move. See page 12
for instructions.


And page 9:

Permanent residents are issued a valid Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) as proof of their legal status in the United States. Some people call this a “Green Card.” If you are a permanent resident who is 18 years or older, you must carry proof of your immigration status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,254,394 times
Reputation: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I do not have time to search the immigration code.

However, please refer to the following guide for New Immigrants, published the Department of Immigration.

See Page 8:

As a permanent resident, it is your responsibility to:
• Obey all federal, state, and local laws.
• Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
• Register with the Selective Service (U.S. Armed
Forces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26.
See page 11 for instructions.
• Maintain your immigration status.
• Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all
times.
• Change your address online or provide it in writing
to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
within 10 days of each time you move. See page 12
for instructions.


And page 9:

Permanent residents are issued a valid Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551) as proof of their legal status in the United States. Some people call this a “Green Card.” If you are a permanent resident who is 18 years or older, you must carry proof of your immigration status.
Ok, I stumbled across this: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

It states that a permanent resident must show the green card to an immigration officer if asked for it. (does not state anything about being required to present it to a law enforcement officer.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
That is a third-party website, any way you can find that on the government immigration site? My wife is a permanent resident and that alleged rule was never discussed with her at any point during her immigration process.
My wife is also a legal resident. She was told that she is required to carry her green card. The conversation took place at our embassy in Thailand, again when we went for her temporary perm resident card.
And again when we interviewed for her permanent Card.
I accept that not all offices perform their jobs in the same manner or same efficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
 
17,279 posts, read 24,969,411 times
Reputation: 8524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Ok, I stumbled across this: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

It states that a permanent resident must show the green card to an immigration officer if asked for it. (does not state anything about being required to present it to a law enforcement officer.)

Now you're seriously grasping at straws. (BTW, the language I quoted comes from the link you provided).

If you're required to have it for presentation to any ICE agent at any time asked for same, it would behoove you to have it at all times, in case you run into an ICE agent.

Why is this such a difficult thing to carry your proof of legal residency? Can you see no benefit whatsoever for such a small burden imposed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Reputation: 957
The poorly writen Arizona immigration law is the latest..."pin my hopes on" idea that the anti-immigrant crowd has.

This crowd claims to be supported by a majority of Ameicans, yet has failed to sponser any Major form of legislation, or move any Major legislation on the National front. And has not passed one major form of immigration reform.

No 14th amendment wording.
No repeal of Free Education to children of undocumented aliens.
No completion of US-Mexico border fence.
No new Border Patrol agents on the border.
No new ferderal legislation restricting aliens from recieving college tuition.
No New federal legeslation restricting undocumented workers to recieving workmen's compenstion.
No National E-verify system inplace.
No national identification.

So fight about Arizona...and like Nero you play the same ol song while Rome burns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,254,394 times
Reputation: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Now you're seriously grasping at straws. (BTW, the language I quoted comes from the link you provided).

If you're required to have it for presentation to any ICE agent at any time asked for same, it would behoove you to have it at all times, in case you run into an ICE agent.

Why is this such a difficult thing to carry your proof of legal residency? Can you see no benefit whatsoever for such a small burden imposed?
Because if you lose that card you could be screwed. You would have to quickly go into process for a new card for who knows how long the request will take to process. It's a scary thought. In other words, it isn't the type of document you want to carry around with you in public every day.

If you lose your driver's license, no big deal...just walk into a DMV and fill out a form, pay a small amount of money, it gets stamped and you can use that as a temporary licence until the new one comes in the mail about 7-10 business days later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top