U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If that's the case it would probably make sense to be more specific and clarify that in the text of the law. The vagueness is what bothers me most about it. I still don't agree with the carrying the green card at all times rule, if it was easier to get a replacement green card maybe but nobody on here seems to understand what an excrutiating process that is. As long as the permanent resident knows what his/her Alien # is and has a state issued ID you'd think that'd be enough...maybe carry a copy of the document as well?



I've established that they have access to a database for state issued IDs, but are you sure they have access to a database for federally issued IDs such as passports, permanent residency cards, etc.? I'd really like to get verification of that.
Look, the laws are the laws. A legal immigrant is required to carry their green card with them at all times. I don't know if a copy of it would suffice or not. You are asking questions that I don't know the answers to. Why not contact the powers that be for specifics on green card holders?

It was someone else in here that said that the cops have access to a national database. Perhaps they can provide a link for you.

I don't find the lingo of the new law being vague either. I am sure if you need in depth explanation of it it can be found on the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,893 posts, read 12,263,615 times
Reputation: 2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Look, the laws are the laws. A legal immigrant is required to carry their green card with them at all times. I don't know if a copy of it would suffice or not. You are asking questions that I don't know the answers to. Why not contact the powers that be for specifics on green card holders?

It was someone else in here that said that the cops have access to a national database. Perhaps they can provide a link for you.

I don't find the lingo of the new law being vague either. I am sure if you need in depth explanation of it it can be found on the internet.
In this case for the reasons I already mentioned I strongly disagree with it. People should not be forced to put documents like that at risk. Until systems are improved where replacement of a green card can be done in a timely and efficient manner nobody should be forced to carry them at all times in public...it's just ridiculous. And the fact that Arizona law enforcement officers are going to start asking for those documents at a possible inoportune moment is enough for my family to never want to step foot in there and I would not blame anybody else for feeling the same way (I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,854,132 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Correct, and just because I have concerns about the well-being of my wife doesn't give you (ChicagoNut) the right to accuse or label me of being this or that...I certainly don't appreciate it.
well sir, just thank your lucky stars you live in America...things could be worse elsewhere...

have you heard what Mexico's policy is in fighting illegal immigration??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,893 posts, read 12,263,615 times
Reputation: 2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
well sir, just thank your lucky stars you live in America...things could be worse elsewhere...

have you heard what Mexico's policy is in fighting illegal immigration??
I've lived in Mexico as an immigrant and went through the process there to get legally documented (I still have my FM-5 doc which gives me the right to work there). Regardless of the policies that are in place, it's pretty much general knowledge that all anyone accused of being there illegally has to do to get authorities off their back is flash a few bills. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 12:28 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
In this case for the reasons I already mentioned I strongly disagree with it. People should not be forced to put documents like that at risk. Until systems are improved where replacement of a green card can be done in a timely and efficient manner nobody should be forced to carry them at all times in public...it's just ridiculous. And the fact that Arizona law enforcement officers are going to start asking for those documents at a possible inoportune moment is enough for my family to never want to step foot in there and I would not blame anybody else for feeling the same way (I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.)
I disagree. The law requires it and rightly so. How many times have you lost your DL while it was on you? It happens but rarely. I think most adults know how to protect a valuable document while it is in their possession. You and your wife are more than likely to be stopped while driving a car. Why not keep it locked in the glove compartment then? How is it going to get lost in there? You are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Don't visit Arizona if you so worried. Your worries are not warranted, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
 
1,897 posts, read 2,854,132 times
Reputation: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
I've lived in Mexico as an immigrant and went through the process there to get legally documented (I still have my FM-5 doc which gives me the right to work there). Regardless of the policies that are in place, it's pretty much general knowledge that all anyone accused of being there illegally has to do to get authorities off their back is flash a few bills. I'm not saying it's right, but it's reality there.

riiight...

like i said, thank your lucky stars you live in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,032,353 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
riiight...

like i said, thank your lucky stars you live in America.
REally what LUCKY stars?

A country that cannot keep track of their own citizens because greedy illegal employers have bought the government?

Parties that instead of going after the root of all evil, the illegal employers, they go after the weakest link, take it against the illegal aliens and in the process lump all hispanics as criminals?

How difficult is to create a national database where this can be verified? CREATE a National ID, but of course everyone is against them, heaven forbids you are inconvenienced with such nonsense, it's just better to bash all those illegal aliens in city data forum and make assumptions about someone status if they are hispanic looking, have an accent or heaven forbids decide to carry a conversation in Spanish. But yeah let's thank our lucky stars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,032,353 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I disagree. The law requires it and rightly so. How many times have you lost your DL while it was on you? It happens but rarely. I think most adults know how to protect a valuable document while it is in their possession. You and your wife are more than likely to be stopped while driving a car. Why not keep it locked in the glove compartment then? How is it going to get lost in there? You are making a mountain out of a molehill here.

Don't visit Arizona if you so worried. Your worries are not warranted, however.
Things happen, things get lost or stolen. Not everything works like it works in your mind. I have a relative who had to wait a whole year for a green card when her wallet got stolen. This was not days, a whole YEAR. By the time the green card arrived, she had already become a citizen. This is how ridiculous the system is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Things happen, things get lost or stolen. Not everything works like it works in your mind. I have a relative who had to wait a whole year for a green card when her wallet got stolen. This was not days, a whole YEAR. By the time the green card arrive she had already become a citizen. This is how ridiculous the system is.
I am not a dude. I made a good suggestion to keep it locked in the glove compartment of the car. How is it going to get lost in there? Responsible adults know how to keep things safe and not stolen.

If you have a problem with a simple thing like our government requiring green card holders to have it available when asked for it then take it up with our government. I don't think they are asking too much. Yes, sh*t happens sometimes, deal.

Last edited by chicagonut; 05-27-2010 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2010, 01:12 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
REally what LUCKY stars?

A country that cannot keep track of their own citizens because greedy illegal employers have bought the government?

Parties that instead of going after the root of all evil, the illegal employers, they go after the weakest link, take it against the illegal aliens and in the process lump all hispanics as criminals?

How difficult is to create a national database where this can be verified? CREATE a National ID, but of course everyone is against them, heaven forbids you are inconvenienced with such nonsense, it's just better to bash all those illegal aliens in city data forum and make assumptions about someone status if they are hispanic looking, have an accent or heaven forbids decide to carry a conversation in Spanish. But yeah let's thank our lucky stars
Yes, our country has flaws just like every country has its flaws. If you find it too much for you then perhaps you should move to another country.

Both the employers and the illegals need to be sought out. They are equally guilty. Who is lumping all Hispanics together as criminals? Certainly not our government and certainly not the majority of Americans. You are using the typical pro-illegal rhetoric here.

I am not opposed to a national I.D. In fact I am absolutely for it! Illegal aliens should be criticized for being immigration law breakers. Just like any other lawbreaker should be criticized. Why are you blurring the lines between illegal aliens and Hispanic citizens now? I think we all know the difference between the two groups. What does looks or accent have to do with anything?

As I said, if you don't want to thank you lucky stars for being in this country in spite of its flaws then perhaps another less flawless country would suit you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top