U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM

378 posts, read 356,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngvu View Post
have you done a roof job on your house before using these company who hired the illegal? OMG, they did a worse job ever. I meant EVER. The workers cannot understand, speak English or do their job properly. They carelessly did their job. I'm still not happy with my roof. I rather pay little more for AMERICAN workers who love their job and did it properly.
A valid point . . . most people think oh, they work really hard and do good work . . . bleh! They may work the hours, but they often half-ass what they do, language is a barrier, and hygiene is a huge issue. Look at how they live in Mexico -filthy. And they bring those "standards" into America in everything they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 03:18 PM

8,214 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
We have tourists from all over the world. I don't see us accomodating anyone but Spanish speakers and that is why I said they are catering to illegal aliens as most of them are Spanish speakers.
Yes, we do have tourists from all over the world. I worked at Grand Canyon for two years and, out of necessity, had to learn at least a bit of a few languages. Japanese visitors outnumbered everyone else, it seemed, and their language isn't that hard for basic things. I don't recall many Hispanic visitors though.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
A valid point . . . most people think oh, they work really hard and do good work . . . bleh! They may work the hours, but they often half-ass what they do, language is a barrier, and hygiene is a huge issue. Look at how they live in Mexico -filthy. And they bring those "standards" into America in everything they do.
You mean they aren't the workaholic saints working three jobs to "feed their families" with excellent work ethics and skills and only taking jobs American won't do, like the pro-illegals keep claiming? I am shocked!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:09 PM

378 posts, read 356,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You mean they aren't the workaholic saints working three jobs to "feed their families" with excellent work ethics and skills and only taking jobs American won't do, like the pro-illegals keep claiming? I am shocked!
It IS truly shocking, isn't it??!!

Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post
Jobs U.S. citizens won't do include picking produce crops and deboning chickens. A solution: use our overflowing prison population to do those jobs, instead of letting the convicted felons, many of whom are illegals, deal drugs and lift weights at our expense.
There are no limits on the temporary visas for agricultural workers right now. The H2A visas have no cap, but legal wages must be paid and an attempt to find Americans to work the job first.

There is absolutely no reason to justify unlimited illegal immigration because of a need for agricultural workers. Agriculture jobs are less than 2 million including USA citizens and with the agricultural work visas, all the work can be done.

The H2A visa however does not allow the guest worker to bring in the entire extended family and does not give quick citizenship or permanent status.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:54 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,473,652 times
After a poultry processing plant in my state was raided for having mostly illegal workers I heard it referred to as a job that Americans won't do.

Three Americans in my extended family used to work there.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:48 AM

358 posts, read 332,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I was talking to my sister in law this morning and she works for our local newspaper. Evidently they are putting TONS of help wanted ads in the paper because the illegals are quitting and leaving! The hotels are losing housekeeping people, restaurants are losing cooks, dishwashers and bussers, etc.. This is good news for a lot of people. And there ARE legals and Americans wanting those jobs.
Couple things I have to say.. WOW! I really need to move over there.. in California it's required that you speak Spanish in any service type job. I would love to have a job in my industry that pays a fair wage and does not discriminate against me because I don't speak the "majority" language. I also wanted to point out on a previous post you mentioned agricultural jobs.. well we have something in California called seasonal visas (supplied by the Fed's) for agriculture. We do not see these visas really passed out anymore due to the large influx of illegal immigrants in California, it's based on supply and demand.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:50 AM

358 posts, read 332,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
It IS truly shocking, isn't it??!!
Lol!

Old 05-27-2010, 01:54 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,296,377 times
Makes you wonder "who and when" they put that phrase out there. The media was fed it and when people heard it, they thought a few illegals doing those jobs will be okay? When in reality our government was allowing millions of illegals to take the jobs. How could big companies file taxes with profits and not show a good size payroll. Or showing only a few employees filing taxes for a large profitable company. Hard work hasn't scared Americans off, they never knew the jobs were there or availible.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:32 AM

8,214 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Couple things I have to say.. WOW! I really need to move over there.. in California it's required that you speak Spanish in any service type job. I would love to have a job in my industry that pays a fair wage and does not discriminate against me because I don't speak the "majority" language. I also wanted to point out on a previous post you mentioned agricultural jobs.. well we have something in California called seasonal visas (supplied by the Fed's) for agriculture. We do not see these visas really passed out anymore due to the large influx of illegal immigrants in California, it's based on supply and demand.
A lot of the help wanted ads here will say "Spanish preferred" and some even say "required". I think that's mostly in jobs where you are on the phones a lot, making reservations, etc.. So it's probably comparable to CA in that way.

Agriculture used to be VERY big here but not so much anymore. Farms and ranches has been replaced with subdivisions all over the state. We have always had a 'guest worker' program here but in recent years I suppose it's fallen by the wayside...because they are already here and staying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration