U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 AM

23,821 posts, read 10,001,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
A valid point . . . most people think oh, they work really hard and do good work . . . bleh! They may work the hours, but they often half-ass what they do, language is a barrier, and hygiene is a huge issue. Look at how they live in Mexico -filthy. And they bring those "standards" into America in everything they do.
Their work is substandard and inefficient compared to legal workers. It is to be expected when so many don't speak english making communications harder as well as limiting the pool of supervisors to bilingual speakers.
As with many immigrants they don't have the knowledge of how things are done here. What is acceptable in construction in their country may not be acceptable in construction here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
After a poultry processing plant in my state was raided for having mostly illegal workers I heard it referred to as a job that Americans won't do.

Three Americans in my extended family used to work there.
That's a big field for illegals. The work conditions are dangerous and when accidents happen the illegals cannot file for disability.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:55 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,426,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
That's a big field for illegals. The work conditions are dangerous and when accidents happen the illegals cannot file for disability.
Any job you can imagine will be done by an American worker if the pay is right. If there were a job sniffing dog terds all day long, an American worker would be willing to do it if the price were right. The only thing is, a dog terd sniffing job would have to pay a decent wage to get a dog terd sniffer. It might require that the person wanting the dog terd sniffer would have to pass the cost of labor on to its customers. But that is how free enterprise is suppose to work.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
Any job you can imagine will be done by an American worker if the pay is right. If there were a job sniffing dog terds all day long, an American worker would be willing to do it if the price were right. The only thing is, a dog terd sniffing job would have to pay a decent wage to get a dog terd sniffer. It might require that the person wanting the dog terd sniffer would have to pass the cost of labor on to its customers. But that is how free enterprise is suppose to work.
Sleazeball employers will try and can get away with what they can. Their feet need to be held to the fire.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:00 AM

55 posts, read 171,065 times
Someone posted previously that they wondered how illegal immigrants can afford to send so much money to Mexico if they work for so little. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that once they have children here in the US, they can receive all kinds of financial assistance to help support their children who are automatically legal US citizens just because they were born here.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicWays1983 View Post
Someone posted previously that they wondered how illegal immigrants can afford to send so much money to Mexico if they work for so little. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that once they have children here in the US, they can receive all kinds of financial assistance to help support their children who are automatically legal US citizens just because they were born here.
You're right. We are supporting them through their anchor babies while in turn they send money to Mexico to support their extended families there at the expense of stolen American jobs. What a deal!

Old 05-29-2010, 11:47 AM

8,214 posts, read 9,093,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You're right. We are supporting them through their anchor babies while in turn they send money to Mexico to support their extended families there at the expense of stolen American jobs. What a deal!
What deal, indeed! I would love to see that "anchor baby" thing done away with once and for all. What started out as guaranteeing descendants of former slaves would be counted as American citizens has been used for all the wrong purposes. But, having read it, I can see where it could be. We definitely need an amendment to the amendment!

Old 05-30-2010, 11:57 PM

412 posts, read 812,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
After a poultry processing plant in my state was raided for having mostly illegal workers I heard it referred to as a job that Americans won't do.

Three Americans in my extended family used to work there.
It's so insulting to hear the phrase "jobs Americans won't do," especially if you know someone that does or used to do the work that Americans supposedly won't do.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 PM

412 posts, read 812,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Makes you wonder "who and when" they put that phrase out there. The media was fed it and when people heard it, they thought a few illegals doing those jobs will be okay? When in reality our government was allowing millions of illegals to take the jobs. How could big companies file taxes with profits and not show a good size payroll. Or showing only a few employees filing taxes for a large profitable company. Hard work hasn't scared Americans off, they never knew the jobs were there or availible.
I remember George W. Bush mentioning the "jobs that Americans won't do." I doubt he was the first one to say it, though.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:31 AM

28,985 posts, read 18,998,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
"Jobs No Americans Are Willing To do", I heard this again this morning on a local news show in regards to the Arizona law. I think it ought to be made clear that there is no such job that "no American is willing to do". Americans will do any job if the pay is right. Hiring illegal immigrants to undercut a job's fair market value is not hiring an illegal immigrant to fill a job that no American wants.

Here's the dynamic behind it... A roofing company hires illegal immigrants at $8 an hour so the company will not have to pay an American worker $12 an hour. The American worker who would have been doing that roofing job is instead working at Walmart for $9 an hour. The American worker is sacrificing a much needed $3 an hour because the roofing company is saving money by hiring illegal immigrants. The person most harmed by the massive illegal immigrant problem are the American workers at the lower end of the pay scale. Their value has essentially been diluted by millions of mostly unskilled illegal immigrants. Business owners whose businesses focus on unskilled labor (such as roofing and landscape companies) are those who benefit.

To be forthright, if the roofing company did hire only American workers at $12 an hour, the customer would be charged slightly more for the roof on his house. So there is a small trade-off.

Don't forget the honest roofer, land scaper or restaurateur who is constantly undercut by competitors who employ these illegal workers. They really get screwed for their honesty.

Only in America could this happen (
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration