U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 AM

17 posts, read 17,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLer2562 View Post
I get weary of this argument too. I'm certain that with our economy the way it is, and unemployment so high, there would be plenty of out of work Americans who would gladly do the jobs freed up if illegals were to be deported.
You are right, you are so right... Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TungstenIron View Post
Jobs U.S. citizens won't do include picking produce crops and deboning chickens. A solution: use our overflowing prison population to do those jobs, instead of letting the convicted felons, many of whom are illegals, deal drugs and lift weights at our expense.

We have an overflowing prison population because of illegals. Nowadays, most people in jail don't belong there...period. Some of them do and they deserve to rot in there. Some of them are mental cases and the others were/are in financial straights and do something stupid or should I say that they do something,... ILLEGAL... Funny how alot of people don't fully understand that word. Some people even argue that the influx of ILLEGALS from South America contributed to the recession. Yes, I said it, the resession along with CCI. I'm still not convinced totally, but I do believe that they are connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There are no limits on the temporary visas for agricultural workers right now. The H2A visas have no cap, but legal wages must be paid and an attempt to find Americans to work the job first.

There is absolutely no reason to justify unlimited illegal immigration because of a need for agricultural workers. Agriculture jobs are less than 2 million including USA citizens and with the agricultural work visas, all the work can be done.

The H2A visa however does not allow the guest worker to bring in the entire extended family and does not give quick citizenship or permanent status.
It's not just agricultural workers. It's all jobs now. Guess what jobs are next when the ILLEGALS children start graduating from college and they don't want to back to thier country of origin? Employers will pay them $30-$40k instead of paying the American college graduate $50-$60k. Most of these people don't get it now because it does'nt effect them now. But unless something is done... they will.

Last edited by Yac; 06-09-2010 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 02:25 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,296,377 times
The states would be in better financial shape if they didn't pay out millions and billions to support illegals. The federal government would also be in better shape if they would of followed their own law years ago. So I would agree that illegals have a piece in our financial disaster going on. Which is no fault of theirs because it go's back to the federal government being irresponsible in their duty.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:12 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,661,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIllegalsPeriod View Post
You are right, you are so right... Thank You.

We have an overflowing prison population because of illegals. Nowadays, most people in jail don't belong there...period. Some of them do and they deserve to rot in there. Some of them are mental cases and the others were/are in financial straights and do something stupid or should I say that they do something,... ILLEGAL... Funny how alot of people don't fully understand that word. Some people even argue that the influx of ILLEGALS from South America contributed to the recession. Yes, I said it, the resession along with CCI. I'm still not convinced totally, but I do believe that they are connected.

It's not just agricultural workers. It's all jobs now. Guess what jobs are next when the ILLEGALS children start graduating from college and they don't want to back to thier country of origin? Employers will pay them $30-$40k instead of paying the American college graduate $50-$60k. Most of these people don't get it now because it does'nt effect them now. But unless something is done... they will.
When that happens, then the crap will really hit the fan. I personally know people who don't give much thought to illegals and this issue because it isn't in their backyard, nor do they think it affects them very much. They had cushy jobs and can pay for their children's education without losing sleep at night. Neither them nor their children will be working in fast food jobs or housekeeping jobs. When the time comes and their children are passed over by employers leaving mommy and daddy on the hook for JR's living expenses, then they'll start seeing red.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:03 PM

515 posts, read 605,535 times
It's blatantly obvious that one of the "jobs no Americans are willing to do" is that of rounding up and deporting the millions of criminal invaders!

Add to that the job of building and guarding a secure fence along our southern border!

And just think folks, those who are refusing to do these these jobs are our (the taxpayers) own employees who we are paying through the nose already!

What a sickening state of affairs!

Old 06-09-2010, 06:22 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,581,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
When that happens, then the crap will really hit the fan. I personally know people who don't give much thought to illegals and this issue because it isn't in their backyard, nor do they think it affects them very much. They had cushy jobs and can pay for their children's education without losing sleep at night. Neither them nor their children will be working in fast food jobs or housekeeping jobs. When the time comes and their children are passed over by employers leaving mommy and daddy on the hook for JR's living expenses, then they'll start seeing red.
Exactly and it is sick. It is sick to know that an illegal immigrant can come here, get educated (as a youth or as an adult) and then they can enter the professional work force to add competition to those who are legally here and are in those industries and fields. Basically, for now, most illegal immigrants are competiting with workers who don't have job-specific skills, but what happens when the children of illegal immigrants (illegal or not) and illegal immigrants themselves are educated here and enter the professional work force? Then the wealthier people WILL start caring about illegal immigration.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:50 PM

2,018 posts, read 2,704,910 times
According to the Pew Hispanic center, only 5% of illegals work in agriculture.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,178,535 times
Just 5%? I have to say I'm a bit surprised.

I bet 4.5% of that is in California's agriculture.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:20 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,441,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
"Jobs No Americans Are Willing To do", I heard this again this morning on a local news show in regards to the Arizona law. I think it ought to be made clear that there is no such job that "no American is willing to do". Americans will do any job if the pay is right. Hiring illegal immigrants to undercut a job's fair market value is not hiring an illegal immigrant to fill a job that no American wants.

Here's the dynamic behind it... A roofing company hires illegal immigrants at $8 an hour so the company will not have to pay an American worker $12 an hour. The American worker who would have been doing that roofing job is instead working at Walmart for $9 an hour. The American worker is sacrificing a much needed $3 an hour because the roofing company is saving money by hiring illegal immigrants. The person most harmed by the massive illegal immigrant problem are the American workers at the lower end of the pay scale. Their value has essentially been diluted by millions of mostly unskilled illegal immigrants. Business owners whose businesses focus on unskilled labor (such as roofing and landscape companies) are those who benefit.

To be forthright, if the roofing company did hire only American workers at $12 an hour, the customer would be charged slightly more for the roof on his house. So there is a small trade-off.
When I had a new roof put on my house several years ago I told the company owner that if I saw anyone working on my house that didnt speak english I would demand that HE SHOW ME THAT THEY WERE FULLY DOCUMENTED or he wouldnt get paid.. He didnt like it but it is my house and my money and my decision as to who works on it.. We all should do this I think.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM

364 posts, read 184,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
ppl are startin to see red
trust me
i am here in az

an mor and mor ppl
6 months ago who were ok with ilegals
no more
tha same ppl now want ilegals gone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration