U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
mlass, with all due respect, I'm not sure how much you have experienced first hand with respect to the negative effects of illegal immigration in Vernon Connecticut.

I for one am happy there is FINALLY some focus on this issue, after years of neglect.

Cesar Chavez himself was against illegal immigration because he recognized it undercut workers in the United States. I am fairly socially liberal, but not very sympathetic to cries about "racism" and "scapegoating," because every dollar that goes to pay to subsidize an illegal immigrants family, or to educate his anchor children or provide public assistance to same are dollars that are NOT being spent on Americans and invited immigrants.

I've also seen the strain on public education, neighborhood degredation and strain on hospital services that come from living in an area with a high level of "extra legal" immigration.

My father is a legal immigrant. He worked construction in the late 80s for $8/hour before getting hurt and diabled on the job. Fast forward to 2010... the prevailing wage for construction jobs is now about the same. The white and black guys my father worked with back then have been largely replaced. Did these Americans suddenly decide they don't want to do construction anymore? When I visit Ohio, white and black guys are working on the highways, construction, etc., so that cannot be the case.

Capitalist GREED is a major factor, as is a willingness to flaunt our laws and take advantage of our system exhibited by many illegal immigrants (pregnancy tourism, etc.)

I only wish that we could have a more vigorous two prong approach: Go after employers who use illegal SLAVE labor, and after illegal immigrantion. Streamline guest worker programs for industries that REALLY need such labor to survive (this system is already in place, but business is no lazy and dependent on their backway of doing things that it is often ignored). Attack supply AND demand for illegal labor.

The fact that nobody with common sense or level headedness has stepped into the picture until now has ALLOWED extremism to enter the picture on the issue on both ends of the debate!
OK, OK...you make a few valid points....but what about the Gas Chambers? Don't you realize that if this Arizona law takes effect, it will be just a matter of time before 'Flagstaff' and 'Gila Bend' become synonymous with 'Dachau' and 'Auschwitz'? With half the population cowering in their homes, afraid to come outside because of their physical appearance, and the rest running around in mobs, searching out anyone who looks 'different', who's to say that Phoenix may not soon be just another 'Soweto'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 PM

8,649 posts, read 14,884,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
So automatically anyone who doesn't favor rounding up immigrants and Hispanics is pro open borders and pro amnesty? No middle ground? You are either a fascist or an unrealistic naive open borders supporter.
I would just like the ILLEGAL ones rounded up.. You also have a problem with that too don't you?

Old 05-25-2010, 06:26 PM

2,731 posts, read 5,941,158 times
I try to listen to both sides on many issues but the pro-amnesty open border crowd..
Never seems to make any sense to me at all.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:42 PM

17,286 posts, read 24,984,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
OK, OK...you make a few valid points....but what about the Gas Chambers? Don't you realize that if this Arizona law takes effect, it will be just a matter of time before 'Flagstaff' and 'Gila Bend' become synonymous with 'Dachau' and 'Auschwitz'? With half the population cowering in their homes, afraid to come outside because of their physical appearance, and the rest running around in mobs, searching out anyone who looks 'different', who's to say that Phoenix may not soon be just another 'Soweto'?
I am more concerned about the implementation of AZ SB 2010, which will require all persons of suspected "Latino" origin and/or swarthy complexion to paint the flag representing the country of their origin on their pickup trucks or to hang one from their rear view mirrors.

I heard that Arizona law enforcement has targeted certain areas of the state to test the pilot program, which many Hispanic activists are likening to forcing the Jews to wear stars of David:

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM

364 posts, read 184,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And that is your, and GOP's biggest fear. In fact, they do not want Hispanic and other minority populations to grow because... they lean democratic.

There is an easy solution to your problems. Do not dehumanize people.
if ilegals go home
they wont be hassled by tha usa copps
in mexico I keep my trap shut
dont wanna be in mexico jail sinc i aint mexicon

Old 05-25-2010, 07:42 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,228,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Oh please. What exactly are illegals being scapegoated for? Being here illegally? That's not scapegoating. That's reality.
The economic problems, unemployment. When the economy is in the gutter, the people turn to a minority.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:47 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,687,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuditTheFed View Post
And on the other end of the spectrum do you think that if the left legalized all the illegals and got all their votes that they will move on to another group to target and use for votes?
Well stated! Would have repped you but have to spread it around.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:52 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
The economic problems, unemployment. When the economy is in the gutter, the people turn to a minority.
Really? You have some historical reference to that? This is about illegal immigration not legal minorities in this country.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,687,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Can we SERIOUSLY stop with the posters comparing the "scapegoating" of illegal aliens to the Holocaust? This is the most asinine and ignorant argument the left throws at anybody supporting the law. It makes me boil with anger because I have so many Jewish friends and what they and their families had to go through was hell and back compared to the illegal alien plight.

I will make this very clear and simple so you can throw this disgusting argument away:

Illegal aliens are not US citizens. They have no legal right to be here and take jobs away from unemployed low skilled Americans and teenagers. We are attempting to deport them back to their country of origin, not kill them. We ignored the problem until recently when it became so big and uncontrollable that all of America can now see the result of unchecked illegal immigration. We are not scapegoating, because illegal aliens are one of the many major causes of the economy crashing.
Great post. Very well stated and so true.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:54 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The only ones cowering in their homes would be illegal aliens. We are supposed to care about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or