U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:40 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Or in 1935 Germany, it could have read "Jews scapegoated in swell of Nationalist Pride..."

Does this pattern seem alarmingly familiar with any historical types? Scapegoating a single group (and I would say we're scapegoating MORE than illegals with the prohibitions against Ethnic Studies Classes, removing teachers with accents from the classroom...)...

What's next? Where does this end?

Does anyone else believe that if every illegal immigrant was removed from the country tomorrow, the right wing manufactured anger machines would just find another group to scapegoat?
Kind of hard to take a group that refers to itself as "The Race" (La Raza) and struts around waving it's Mexican flags around seriously.

La Raza (The Race) marches.

WHO has the nationalist pride again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 11:52 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,067,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Have you read any of the posts on here. Illegals get blamed for the bad economy, diseases, crime, depressed wages, problems with health care industry, terrorism, environmental problems, etc... the list goes on and on.
I don't base my worldview on the opinions of CD members. I prefer reality.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:07 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Yes:

Operation ******* is a perfect example of the United States becoming anti-immigration when the economy wasn't the best.

Then there was Reagan giving amnesty to immigrants in the 80s.

If you want more, Google it.
I think you are confusing op wet_back with Mexican Repatriation that came right after the great depression. One thing I did learn after all that research over the years is that a porous border next to a Third World Country creates a repetitious problem.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:15 PM

9,742 posts, read 9,067,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Kind of hard to take a group that refers to itself as "The Race" (La Raza) and struts around waving it's Mexican flags around seriously.

La Raza (The Race) marches.

WHO has the nationalist pride again?
How anyone cannot see the sentiment expressed in that photo as troubling is beyond me. And to think the open border crowd wants a path to citizenship for such people.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:20 PM

10,543 posts, read 11,689,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Or in 1935 Germany, it could have read "Jews scapegoated in swell of Nationalist Pride..."

Does this pattern seem alarmingly familiar with any historical types? Scapegoating a single group (and I would say we're scapegoating MORE than illegals with the prohibitions against Ethnic Studies Classes, removing teachers with accents from the classroom...)...

What's next? Where does this end?

Does anyone else believe that if every illegal immigrant was removed from the country tomorrow, the right wing manufactured anger machines would just find another group to scapegoat?
The problems with this analogy are numerous. The first is in the equivalence of the movement now with a genocidal movement. The problem currently is based on people's breaking of the laws of our country, not ethnicity, religion etc. There is no push to exterminate them, simply to send them home. The Jews in Germany would have loved the opportunity to go home.

Secondly, the comparison completely breaks down when you examine the movements. In 1935 Germany, the "Nationalist Pride" was led by a charismatic leader that boosted the pride of the country and blamed its problems on a particular group. Today, the leader of the US is not leading the "swell," he's working against it and placing blame on those involved. The "swell," in this case, is in direct reponse to the disrespectful, law-breaking behavior of those you claim are "scapegoated."

Last edited by Rggr; 05-26-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 631 times
I have 2 adopted children whose mother, grandmother and grandfather were all illegal aliens. My kids mother had 15 anchor babies in this country, and her mother had 4. All of them were, and most still are, on welfare, foodstamps, and Medi-cal. Some of my kids' brothers and sisters are now having children and they are ALL on welfare. The 14th Amendment did not intend to allow "anchor" babies! Although illegal aliens are not allowed to collect welfare payments, their legal children ARE, so benefits are paid to illegals for their children. Sounds like the same thing to me! All of our social problems would not go away if we sent the illegals back home, but our economy would improve if we put all the other lazy, able-bodied, welfare-collecting people in the state out in the fields to work in the jobs that illegals are doing now. Hey 'get out in the fields and work or no welfare' sounds like a fair deal to me. I remember when Russians, Okies, Armenians, and many other people did farm work. Why do we think that white Americans are too good for it? It is better to put people to work at whatever menial job is available rather than have welfare be a way of life for generation after generation whatever color your skin is.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:02 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodummy777 View Post
I have 2 adopted children whose mother, grandmother and grandfather were all illegal aliens. My kids mother had 15 anchor babies in this country, and her mother had 4. All of them were, and most still are, on welfare, foodstamps, and Medi-cal. Some of my kids' brothers and sisters are now having children and they are ALL on welfare. The 14th Amendment did not intend to allow "anchor" babies! Although illegal aliens are not allowed to collect welfare payments, their legal children ARE, so benefits are paid to illegals for their children. Sounds like the same thing to me! All of our social problems would not go away if we sent the illegals back home, but our economy would improve if we put all the other lazy, able-bodied, welfare-collecting people in the state out in the fields to work in the jobs that illegals are doing now. Hey 'get out in the fields and work or no welfare' sounds like a fair deal to me. I remember when Russians, Okies, Armenians, and many other people did farm work. Why do we think that white Americans are too good for it? It is better to put people to work at whatever menial job is available rather than have welfare be a way of life for generation after generation whatever color your skin is.
AG jobs are just about the only jobs that most Americans will not do and for various reasons. For those jobs we have unlimited visas for foreign legal workers. Is that all you've got??? What about all those construction, restaurant and other blue collar jobs that Americans will do and always have done but illegal aliens have taken them? Americans aren't getting hired for them because they expect a fair wage and the illegals work cheaper. It has nothing to do with Americans being lazy. With a whole Spanish speaking staff how do you expect an English speaking American to even be considered? Get your facts straight. Yes, we do have some lazy Americans but they don't comprise the bulk of Americans and they are our problem but we sure as hell don't need to add illegal foreingers to the burden.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The problems with this analogy are numerous. The first is in the equivalence of the movement now with a genocidal movement. The problem currently is based on people's breaking of the laws of our country, not ethnicity, religion etc. There is no push to exterminate them, simply to send them home. The Jews in Germany would have loved the opportunity to go home.

Secondly, the comparison completely breaks down when you examine the movements. In 1935 Germany, the "Nationalist Pride" was led by a charismatic leader that boosted the pride of the country and blamed its problems on a particular group. Today, the leader of the US is not leading the "swell," he's working against it and placing blame on those involved. The "swell," in this case, is in direct reponse to the disrespectful, law-breaking behavior of those you claim are "scapegoated."
Plus -- comparing a beautiful country like Mexico with it's excellent climate and food and prosperity to a Nazi concentration camp is absurd beyond belief.

Sending them to their own homeland is not at all harsh. It's their home for heaven's sake.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:47 PM

760 posts, read 1,083,980 times
Quote:
Why on earth did you adopt them?

Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM

12,740 posts, read 7,368,631 times
Quote:
Yeah right. I just bought a bridge in brooklyn for a buck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or