U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What exactly makes you upset about Calderon's speech?
A foreign president should not be addressing America. 10 22.73%
I do not share Calderon's views on illegal immigration. 13 29.55%
A president from a developing country should not be addresing a first world country. 1 2.27%
I want no ties with Mexico. 8 18.18%
Calderon has no business dictating US policy. 7 15.91%
Calderon is demanding immigration rights when Mexico treats them far worse than us. 5 11.36%
I don't care about Calderon's speech. 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:21 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,037,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the Poll, I could not pick all 4 choices!
That was my problem too. There was no E option: All of the above and MORE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM

2,381 posts, read 4,423,913 times
First of all you all don't know where I stand on the issue or what it is I'm looking for.

I really want to listen to your concerns. I'm all ears.

If you are not satisfied with the poll because I leftout words like "hypocrit" or "cesspoll", sorry but it's not my style of writing. That is why I chose broad statements and I figured you would all elaborate on your own personal feelings, on a post. I will not respond to posts that are off topic.

If your chief concern is not represented in the poll I can request to have it added. As I said, I trully want to hear what you have to say.

Thank you

Old 05-26-2010, 02:51 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,194,301 times
Well if you consider how illegals are treated in Mexico, I think his speech was an insult to us. In Mexico the illegals caught are first beaten, then robbed and then if lucky deported. Why don't the Mexican activists here scream about the abuse across the border?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,194,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Since you are a dual citizen - are you demanding your other country end all it's borders and immigration laws and allow anyone to move there?
How about just demanding that the Mexican government treat illegals there like humans. I hate hypocrits.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:56 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,968,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
First of all you all don't know where I stand on the issue or what it is I'm looking for.

I really want to listen to your concerns. I'm all ears.

If you are not satisfied with the poll because I leftout words like "hypocrit" or "cesspoll", sorry but it's not my style of writing. That is why I chose broad statements and I figured you would all elaborate on your own personal feelings, on a post. I will not respond to posts that are off topic.

If your chief concern is not represented in the poll I can request to have it added. As I said, I trully want to hear what you have to say.

Thank you
You asked.
For a man who is President of the most corrupt country in N.America to bad mouth Arizona to receive a standing ovation is beyond bizarre.
For a man whose countries immigration policies make Arizona's new law look like a jaywalking citation to complain about ours is beyond insane.
His country and his people are trespassing against the USA. They receive billions in aid even though by any measure Mexico is a land of wealth.
Quite frankly I am sick of the PC approach to illegal immigration.
I am sick of people who feel illegals are the victims in this story.
I am even more sick of reading about people being murdered by illegals.
I can't count how many people I know who have been involved in an accident with an illegal who had no drivers license and no insurance yet ICE lets them walk.
Then for that scum bag to come into this country, our country, my country that I bled for and and talk smack about one of our states, who by the way is suffering from the impact of mexico's unwanted, makes my blood boil.
You asked.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:15 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,037,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You asked.
For a man who is President of the most corrupt country in N.America to bad mouth Arizona to receive a standing ovation is beyond bizarre.
For a man whose countries immigration policies make Arizona's new law look like a jaywalking citation to complain about ours is beyond insane.
His country and his people are trespassing against the USA. They receive billions in aid even though by any measure Mexico is a land of wealth.
I can't count how many people I know who have been involved in an accident with an illegal who had no drivers license and no insurance yet ICE lets them walk.
Then for that scum bag to come into this country, our country, my country that I bled for and and talk smack about one of our states, who by the way is suffering from the impact of mexico's unwanted, makes my blood boil.
You asked.
She did, and you answered perfectly. Well said and my thoughts exactly.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:38 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,198,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
You asked.
You asked.
What really made my blood boil was the standing ovation he received from our traitorous congressmen for attacking our country's immigration policies on our own soil while enjoying a steak dinner and the red carpet treatment. Did they give him a new Rolex as a going away gift also?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,975,418 times
Here's an article that Calderon needs to read before condemning the USA for not eagerly taking all his unwanted citizens:

Activists blast Mexico's immigration law - USATODAY.com

"There (in the United States), they'll deport you," Hector Vázquez, an illegal immigrant from Honduras, said as he rested in a makeshift camp with other migrants under a highway bridge in Tultitlán. "In Mexico they'll probably let you go, but they'll beat you up and steal everything you've got first."

One of your options in this poll should have been "People in glass houses should not throw stones".

Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,657,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Neither Mexico nor any other country has any business meddling in U.S. domestic policy. Just as we have no right to meddle in theirs.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
I totally agree. Mostly, it's just the man's breath-taking hypocrisy that disturbs me....coming here as a GUEST (an HONORED guest), and then having the 'crust' to criticize an individual US state....that's HIGHLY unorthodox behavior among foreign dignitaries. Not only that, the man is "sucking up" to a vast diaspora of people who originally LEFT the VERY NATION of which Calderon is now president. That's right, THEY left, because HIS COUNTRY failed to look out for them....and now he's here chiding US for 'not looking out for them'...even though they left THERE, and came HERE, illegally. Give me a break. He sure didn't seem any too 'worried' about their welfare back home, did he? What a jerk....what a clod...what a typical politician, with zero integrity and even less morality.

Hypocrisy...a HUGE amount of hypocrisy...that's my gripe with Calderon. Better the man should at LEAST have the 'savvy' to not embarrass himself. It's like Adolf Hitler giving a speech in New York City in 1939, criticizing the city for "discriminating against its Jewish citizens". It's like Desmond Tutu criticizing Arizona for being a 'racist State'..(oh, that's right..Desmond Tutu actually DID that...but then, at least he's not a Head of State ...)

It's just plain embarrassing..has the man no shame? Talk about oil...talk about the weather...talk about ANYTHING except the "condition" of poor Mexicans....

The man OUGHT to be ashamed of himself.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,143,380 times
Calderon is a puppet. Having worked in Mexico, I saw first hand on how Central Americans were and are treated if they cross illegally. I have a very dear friend who is El Salvadorian and whose brother crossed illegally and was captured by Mexcio's Federal Police. He was beaten and left for dead near the border of Belize by these said police officers(more like henchmen for the cartels). Mexico treats Central Americans like they are animals and this idiot of a President wants to come to MY country and tell me how it should be? I have one American phrase for this idiot....****!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration