U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,664,266 times

Advertisements

If I were a illegal immigrant the last thing I would want to do is start a family until I could secure legal status.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,592,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
of course you base this claim on what study?

I had several friends who were born to illegal immigrant parents (however they were born on US Soil), and the only reason they didn't become citizens (at the time) was that they couldn't afford to hire attorney's to handle their naturalization cases; one of my friends was born to North Korean Illegal immigrants who were trying to escape from their country because it would have been hell for them to live there. They became naturalized eventually (one set of parents went back home because they couldn't get enough money to go through the naturalization process), but they've always believed in the "American" dream to make money, send their kids to good schools and to do better than they did.

we make them not want to integrate, by making it VERY difficult for an immigrant to become a naturalized citizen.

next time you show your disdain for them, ask them "what would make it easier for you, to become a citizen legally?"

bet you that most of them will say time and cost; that waiting 5 years to obtian naturalization citizenship status, is a time too long for them handle; and that 3 years must be spent in one place can be quite difficult.

also that green card and work visas are difficult to get and limited.
I read a study out of California that said something like 80% of Mexicans there consider themselves "Mexican" and not "American."

Old 05-27-2010, 08:52 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,592,401 times
CNSNews.com - Poll: Mexicans say Mexican-Americans Owe Loyalty to Mexico Over U.S. (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/55496 - broken link)

It wasn't 80%, but check out this:

Quote:
The data shows that the percentage of potential illegal immigrants who hold that belief is nearly identical to the percentage among the general Mexican population, Camarota said.
I think this might be the same poll that I saw and it wasn't conducted in California, I believe they asked people in Mexico.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,153,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
"Currently, if you have a child born to two alien parents, that person is believed to be a U.S. citizen," says Randy Terrill, a Republican state representative in Oklahoma who is working on an anti-birthright bill. "When taken to its logical extreme, that would produce the absurd result that children of invading armies would be considered citizens of the U.S."
Well, I guess as a "State Rep" he has some excuse for being that oblivious to the federal law. Here's what the Supreme Court had to say on exactly that issue:

(emphasis added)

Quote:
The real object of the Fourteenth Amendment of the Constitution, in qualifying the words, "All persons born in the United States" by the addition "and subject to the jurisdiction thereof," would appear to have been to exclude, by the fewest and fittest words (besides children of members of the Indian tribes, standing in a peculiar relation to the National Government, unknown to the common law), the two classes of cases -- children born of alien enemies in hostile occupation and children of diplomatic representatives of a foreign State -- both of which, as has already been shown, by the law of England and by our own law from the time of the first settlement of the English colonies in America, had been recognized exceptions to the fundamental rule of citizenship by birth within the country. Calvin's Case, 7 Rep. 1, 18b; Cockburn on Nationality, 7; Dicey Conflict of Laws, 177; Inglis v. Sailors' Snug Harbor, 3 Pet. 99, 155; 2 Kent Com. 39, 42.
United States v. Wong Kim Ark

Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM

69,511 posts, read 79,776,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
That's a good article. I think it is interesting that the supporters of continuing this birth right citizenship say that it is a core of the U.S.'s beliefs, but the problem there is that most of these families that have children born here and are illegal immigrants don't really try to become "American."

They don't "integrate" and nor do they want to be integrated. I just got back from the basketball court and the Mexicans who have stated that they are here illegally are 3/3 in not wanting to play basketball with others, white or black. They say, "We are afraid of getting in trouble." Talk about not integrating. The people who support illegal immigrants need to just accept and realize that we are just their nice opportunity to leave a country where they have no opportunity and take our things.
As I heard it discussed about a week ago, the original law, of course was passed way before the illegal issue. I think that was and is fine. But when people come to the country just to have babies, so the babies will be citizens something is wrong.

The answer, I certainly don't know, I do know, this isn't right.

Nita

Old 07-06-2010, 11:28 AM

17,022 posts, read 9,104,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
And this goes to show that this Representative has never read the US Constitution or even the 14th Amendment thoroughly and the hundreds of cases that have referenced US vs Wong Kim Ark

Invading Armies (or prisoners of War) and Ambassadors (and/or their family) are not afforded citizenship status, should they give birth or have babies born in the US on US Soil.

that has been the understanding for almost 200 years. For being a Representative, one would think that YOU should have a basic understanding of the damn piece of paper that our Country was built on.

I think the Representative has a very good understanding of what it actually says and thus his comment.
It was sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or