U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:54 PM

760 posts, read 1,084,688 times

Advertisements

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:52 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,146,695 times
Yup! Profiling works!
If it looks like a duck...
After you've arrested the duck and foud out is a chicken then let it go. Thats how you keep the population safer.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:57 PM

32,868 posts, read 30,126,734 times
I showed id at the gas station, I showed id at the store, I showed id to get into my office. After work I showed id at the range where I shoot. What are people so hysterical about? Unless you are illegal or living with some you haven't anything to worry about. No skeletons in the closet no worry.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,146,695 times
^^^Yup!

Why don't some of these "PC correct" peeps go swim with a few Great White Sharks? I'll bet the profile the hell out of them!
(Not all GW sharks are bad!)

Old 05-26-2010, 05:03 PM

11,593 posts, read 17,548,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
thoughts?
HA! I wish people would get profiled at the airport. They DO NOT profile, and they should! I'm tired of the grandmother, mom with babies on the hip, and me a premium frequent flyer, being frisked.

But the guy in the turban? Nah they touch him and they get a risk of a lawsuit. Too politically incorrect. I understand part of it, the TSA doesn't have the training (or, lets face it, the staff intellegence) to do a good profile check.

The IDF has been profiling for years and they are experts at it - result - no terror incidents on Israel based flights, all from airports a car drive away from the main hotbeds of terrorism.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 PM

760 posts, read 1,084,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
HA! I wish people would get profiled at the airport. They DO NOT profile, and they should! I'm tired of the grandmother, mom with babies on the hip, and me a premium frequent flyer, being frisked.

But the guy in the turban? Nah they touch him and they get a risk of a lawsuit. Too politically incorrect. I understand part of it, the TSA doesn't have the training (or, lets face it, the staff intellegence) to do a good profile check.

The IDF has been profiling for years and they are experts at it - result - no terror incidents on Israel based flights, all from airports a car drive away from the main hotbeds of terrorism.
My friend is a TSA agent and tells me that they do profile passengers. They may not admit it, but they definitely do it.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:14 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,630,805 times
Quote:
thoughts?
That's the way society is trending, for sure...either you look among the 'usual suspects', or you simply profile everyone, period. Whether it's screwball suicidal terrorists, pedophiles, tax evaders, courthouse bombers...or illegal immigrants...either you 'assume we're all a possible offender'..or you fail to go after anyone. That's the way our laws today are written.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM

11,593 posts, read 17,548,653 times
Quote:
My friend is a TSA agent and tells me that they do profile passengers. They may not admit it, but they definitely do it.
I think the official TSA statement is that they don't profile by religion or ethnicity. If your friend does it, then good for him. All I can say is i've never seen it.

Since the underwear bomber I think they do special screening for passengers from/or arriving from, 13 or so designated countries and that's gotten enough flack in itself from the ACLU and other civil rights groups, etc. But even that I would not call profiling. And, yeah, they do their stupid routine of screening the first few passengers and the last few passengers when they do the gate checks - all useless. None of it I would call "profiling" - screening based on appearance.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:00 AM

543 posts, read 840,813 times
Quote:
Oh yeah; all the time! I get profiling all the time!!!!!!

Reason? according to them, I look like a middle eastern chick (I actually look like the new Miss USA, but with shorter hair) and they have thought I'm a terrorist in disguise. The worst part? I'm in the military, and even with uniform and all, they still stop me, open all my fluids (thinking they might be explosives, as if I was an EOD!), and make some butch female to check me. But well, looking mediterranean/middle eastern, having two Spaniard last names, and having a strong accent from the old country (added to extreme hand gestures and loud voice, but I'm a 4th gen born in US soil) doesn't help too much.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:09 AM

12,888 posts, read 10,232,341 times
Quote:
thoughts?
When you go through airport security, everyone has to go through. Black, white, asian, christian, muslim, whoever. And when they additionally select people for screening, they do it via a combination of evidence/behavior observed and random patterns to keep the security process as indecipherable as possible to any possible intruder.

When you have a law like in Arizona, not everyone will be detained. The law says that racial profiling will not be allowed and that a violation has to occur before they can ask about legal status, but the real risk is that cops will find excuses to detain people based on their appearance even if they haven't really done anything wrong. Some of those people detained will be caught as illegals (that's good), some will be legal American citizens who are now being harassed like second-class Americans, much like the Japanese were herded into camps back during WWII (that's bad).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration