U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 04:23 PM

760 posts, read 1,083,817 times

Advertisements

I'm not saying a legal immigrant can't be a resident, but why a citizen? What's wrong with legal permanent residency? How many countries require being born in order to be a citizen? Didn't some illegal immigrants in the 1980's become citizens eventually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,157,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
I'm not saying a legal immigrant can't be a resident, but why a citizen? What's wrong with legal permanent residency? How many countries require being born in order to be a citizen? Didn't some illegal immigrants in the 1980's become citizens eventually?
Thirty some countries require at least one or both parents of a newborn to be a citizen or legal resident of their country in order for their newborn to gain instant citizenship. I fail to see what the amnesty of 1986 has to do with the illegal aliens giving birth on our soil today and their offspring gaining instant citizenship of which needs to end.

We already offer a path to citizenship for legal immigrants eventually so not sure what you are actually trying to say. You do know what a naturalized citizen is, don't you?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:46 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,462,455 times
a mechanism needs to be installed very fast to stop illegal immigration, its not amnesty, we alread did that.
kerry said it best in 2000, put live scan thumb print machines at every check point and security post. dont ask who people are, tell them.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:06 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
No--legal immigration works and it is what makes this country great.

The children of ILLEGAL immigrants and as well as those who are the products of birth tourism should not be granted citizenship.

Illegal immigrants themselves should be deported for a period of ten years (as is stated by law) and sent to the back of the line to apply just like everyone else.

Old 05-26-2010, 05:27 PM

2,243 posts, read 3,451,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
No--legal immigration works and it is what makes this country great.
Correction: legal immigration worked and it was what made this country great.

Today's immigrants are simply feeding at this country's economic trough. Even if you legalized everybody here in CA, we'd still have all the problems we currently have -- you can't bring third worlders into this nation and not expect to turn it into the third world, regardless of whether or not somebody has certain pieces of paper that "legalize" their actions.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:36 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,895,723 times
Yes legal immigrants should be offered a valid path to citizenship.
No illegal should receive such a grand reward for their life of misdeeds and deception.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:19 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,752,909 times
Legal immigrants who have the ability and desire to assimilate, have learned the language and love this country should of course have a path to citizenship.

It's completely different when people have zero respect for our laws and culture and demand they be rewarded for breaking any law that doesn't suit them.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:52 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,956,821 times
Quote:
Because a legal resident does not owe allegiance to your country in the same manner a citizen (naturalised or otherwise) does.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Yac; 05-27-2010 at 05:06 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 05:36 AM

23,618 posts, read 31,190,734 times
Quote:
Some nations still require you to have "heritage" in order to be a citizen, which I think is wrong. The situation in Germany is that some second and third generation Turkish immigrants are not German citizens because they are not of German heritage. That to me is wrong.

However I do not think that being born here should automatically confer citizenship. The only babies born here who should get citizenship are those with at least one US citizen or LPR parent with the paperwork to prove it, or babies that would be absolutely stateless otherwise (for compassionate reasons). The latter scenario is rare. Children of illegals and tourists born here should not be US citizens at birth IMHO.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,031,514 times
Quote:
Why would you want to have a bunch of people living here indefinitely, paying taxes with no voting rights? I don't understand your motives. I'm afraid I don't want to know either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or