Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM

206 posts, read 193,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
With the exception of #7, thist list is bogus. #9 doesn't seem possible, if indeed it is possible, which I doubt, it would scare me.
ok you are demonstrating that your knowledge of how the real world works when it comes to identifying someone with the tools that LE have is severely lacking. LE's tap into the same databases around the country. That includes. SS#'s, finger prints, NCIS (warrants), etc. If you give your proper SS# and it matches the name and DOB you gave them, then you are good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,561,768 times
1. Fleeing from police - This is probable cause for being an illegal immigrant? WTF. For being a criminal yes, but an illegal immigrant.
If someone flees, they don't have to guess the crime they might be guilty of. This is reason to investigate to see if there is anything illegal happening, so yes.

2. Having no ID - So not having ID is good enough reason to suspect someone is illegal. WTF In combination others, as I said, yes. Currently, if you''re stopped and do not have ID, they will question you, so that is already an established practice.

3. Having 5 ID's - WTF, this is the opposite of #2 Yes it is, and both potentially indicate that something is wrong. By the way, I meant ID's with different names.

4. Not speaking any English - Hundreds of thousands of tourists, legal residents, students on VISA's, and even citizens don't speak English. Correct, and if they get stopped, and can't produce ID, they may be questioned. Probable cause does not have to equal proof beyond the shadow of a doubt. It's simply that they must have reason to question.

5. Driving an unlicensed vehicle - what does this have to do with illegals? They may have bought a car, and not have registered it due to fear of being discovered. They may have stolen a car.

6. Driving a stolen vehicle - again, how is this unique to illegals It's not, but it's reason to be suspicious, which, again, is the standard.

7. Driving a moving truck with 50 people crammed into the back - Agreed, probably cause

8. Not being able to provide an address - Anyone living here for longer than a month can give you an address, unless they are retarded. So someone that hasn't been here longer than a month, may not - like a recent crosser of the border.

9. Not being able to provide any information that comes up on the police computer system in their cars under the name you provide. - I don't know how accessible the info on every person born in the US is to LE agencies. If some cop in Marengo Illinois can instantly pull up the name, SS# , DOB, photo, of every person living in the US, that is scary to me. Big Brother. If you claim to live in Arizona, and they can't match your information - reasonable suspicion to ask further questions.

10. Not being able to provide a cohesive response if asked about employment - Give me a freakin break, unemployment is at 11% Unemployed guy: "I used to work at ______, but was laid off a month ago."
Illegal: Uh, ________

Old 05-27-2010, 02:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
This law was not meant to COMPLETELY wipe out illegal immigration in Arizona. This law was meant to be another powerful tool for LE. Just because it doesn't solve the problem completely, it shouldn't be enforced? No law short of rounding up every person in Arizona and manually checking their immigration status will solve this problem completely - but that's unconstitutional. Arizona is taking bites out of the problem and is trying to be as constitutional as they can about it.

The racial profiling crowd is so full of themselves because they are still stuck with the notion that police can pull people over while walking and ask them for their papers. Seriously, I have seen people on the Huffington Post comments section still write this even yesterday - Obviously these are people who did not read the bill.

If anything, this law is also a deterrent. It's not so much a matter of enforcing the law than it is having the law. The state of Arizona has told the illegal alien sector that they will not be a state welcoming and paying for them.
Good post. About those still proclaiming racial profiling I suspect they know what is in the bill but they make noise about it anyway because they just plain don't want the illegals caught. They have an agenda and a motive for constantly proclaiming something that they know isn't true.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:23 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,223,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
This law was not meant to COMPLETELY wipe out illegal immigration in Arizona. This law was meant to be another powerful tool for LE. Just because it doesn't solve the problem completely, it shouldn't be enforced? No law short of rounding up every person in Arizona and manually checking their immigration status will solve this problem completely - but that's unconstitutional. Arizona is taking bites out of the problem and is trying to be as constitutional as they can about it.

The racial profiling crowd is so full of themselves because they are still stuck with the notion that police can pull people over while walking and ask them for their papers. Seriously, I have seen people on the Huffington Post comments section still write this even yesterday - Obviously these are people who did not read the bill.

If anything, this law is also a deterrent. It's not so much a matter of enforcing the law than it is having the law. The state of Arizona has told the illegal alien sector that they will not be a state welcoming and paying for them.
This law used correctly will not make a single dent in illegal immigration. 10 illegal immigrants wearing sombreros waving the Mexican flag can walk past a police station, saying "Viva Mexico" and as long as they are not breaking any laws the cops can't ask them for their papers. Doesn't sound like a powerful tool to me at all.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,889,108 times
" I love Monaco ! I am just a harmless illegal American carrying on with my life !!!. Now get out of my way, and let me go play some roulette. I am harming no one !!!"

Old 05-27-2010, 02:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,734,905 times
Quote:
The author raises a good point, if the law is followed to the letter and bars racial profiling and only permits law enforcement agents to question people breaking the law, the number of arrests are going to be minimal.

411mania.com: Politics - If Arizona’s Law Prohibits Racial Profiling, How Could It Possibly Work?
Oh gee...I don't know....

A person is pulled over for blowing through a stop sign.

This person has no drivers license, no insurance, and speaks very little English.

Possibly an illegal immigrant?

Hmmm.....

Old 05-27-2010, 03:11 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,366 times
Quote:
This law used correctly will not make a single dent in illegal immigration. 10 illegal immigrants wearing sombreros waving the Mexican flag can walk past a police station, saying "Viva Mexico" and as long as they are not breaking any laws the cops can't ask them for their papers. Doesn't sound like a powerful tool to me at all.
It could be 10 legal immigrants or citizens doing the same. I have seen it done. If it isn't against the law then no they won't be questioned.

However, driving without a license or insurance as illegals often do when stopped during lawful contact by LE it will indeed take illegals off the streets.

Me thinks thou protests too much. You have been doing it for days now without one sensible argument.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 PM

378 posts, read 423,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Look, I really don't think anyone is overly concerned with the illegals who keep their noses clean, obey our laws and mind their own business.
You're joking, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The primary concern is the safety of the citizens of our nation.
So you believe that all the illegals in the shadows are just good, decent, clean people?

Yikes.

How about the fact that once they cross the border, they become CRIMINALS?! How about the fact that they bring into our country their filthy habits and deadly diseases? What about their tendency toward multiple births and thus, they drain and drain and drain our resources?!

You seem to believe that America should only rid itself of ILLEGALS who uh, commit crimes rather than those who "obey our laws and mind their own business" . . . again, yikes.

They are ALL criminals once they cross.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:57 PM

378 posts, read 423,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

Me thinks thou protests too much. You have been doing it for days now without one sensible argument.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:11 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,114,944 times
Yo...Illegals do things all the time that sets them apart from the normal things people who are not illegals do..These things have NOTHING to do with their skin color.....Just the fact that they dont speak english is enough for them to be questioned.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration