U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM

14,008 posts, read 22,013,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Last time I checked Texas won that land through military conflict, without the help of the United States. Who did the Spaniards steal that land from? You see.. no matter what way you slice it it's not Mexico, and never will be. If you really did know history, you would know the Texas situation was over the abolition of the 1824 constitution of Mexico, you should read up on it. But you are trying to validate the feelings of La Raza and MEChA indirectly excusing illegal immigration. Here is more on the 1824 constitution : 1824 Constitution of Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I meant it was stolen either way. Spaniards from natives, Mexicans from Spaniards, Anglos from Mexicans. I'm not trying to EXCUSE illegal immigration, I just think learning the HISTORY of these places PRE-Anglo, is important. Like how the Alamo is a symbol for Texan INDEPENDENCE, but it was a VERY important Spanish Mission before that. It's almost as if the completely eradicated it's PRE-Texas Independence history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 07:25 PM

364 posts, read 184,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I meant it was stolen either way. Spaniards from natives, Mexicans from Spaniards, Anglos from Mexicans. I'm not trying to EXCUSE illegal immigration, I just think learning the HISTORY of these places PRE-Anglo, is important. Like how the Alamo is a symbol for Texan INDEPENDENCE, but it was a VERY important Spanish Mission before that. It's almost as if the completely eradicated it's PRE-Texas Independence history.
as they say
those who dont rememmer history are doomd to repeet it

Old 06-10-2010, 08:39 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,699,621 times
Quote:
Pre-Texas Independence, the Mexican government offered land and cash to settlers from the Eastern U.S. to come to Texas to eradicate the Apache. Mexico held land in Texas for 27 years--no more, no less. Native Americans held it for 14,000 years.

Who is the interloper in this situation?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Pre-Texas Independence, the Mexican government offered land and cash to settlers from the Eastern U.S. to come to Texas to eradicate the Apache. Mexico held land in Texas for 27 years--no more, no less. Native Americans held it for 14,000 years.

texas was part of medxico
for maybe 15 years
1821 to 1836
if my mind is right

Old 06-11-2010, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post

The 27yr influence can be seen throughout the state, and shoudln't be ignored. It was Texas before Anglos, and blacks.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,699,621 times
Quote:
The 27yr influence can be seen throughout the state, and shoudln't be ignored. It was Texas before Anglos, and blacks.
And it was Native American for 14,000 years before the European (Spanish) conquistadors moved in and began systematically killing and enslaving the indigenous population.

What's your point?

Old 06-11-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
wich means little
xcept for history reasons
tha usa has ownd texas
much longer than mexico

Old 06-11-2010, 11:40 PM

358 posts, read 333,221 times
Quote:
How do you think the memory of Spanish missions has been eradicated? I learned about the missions in grade school, even went on a field trip to one in SoCal. It is remembered as an important part of American history because of the battle that was fought there with the Mexican army. Did you read about the Mexican constitution eradication that started the entire Texas/ Mexico war? how about the other Mexican states that refused to join the new Mexican dictatorship at that time? Oh yeah.. it was only the White mans greed.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
How do you think the memory of Spanish missions has been eradicated? I learned about the missions in grade school, even went on a field trip to one in SoCal. It is remembered as an important part of American history because of the battle that was fought there with the Mexican army. Did you read about the Mexican constitution eradication that started the entire Texas/ Mexico war? how about the other Mexican states that refused to join the new Mexican dictatorship at that time? Oh yeah.. it was only the White mans greed.
Mis-quote me why don't. White mans greed? I learned about all of that stuff you said, I'm saying in the overall spectrum of things, not some 1 page section in some history book. I'm talking movies, shows etc, presenting the Battle Of Alamo and demonizing anything not associated with the Anglos Texan Independence. No one wants to admit all sides were wrong, and much rather demonize the Mexican Army. It happened when I took Texas History in 5th grade. It indoctrinates the people that learn about it. I remember white kids and Mexican kids in conflict with each other over this. oh well, you can't change history.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 AM

358 posts, read 333,221 times
Quote:
Mis-quote me why don't. White mans greed? I learned about all of that stuff you said, I'm saying in the overall spectrum of things, not some 1 page section in some history book. I'm talking movies, shows etc, presenting the Battle Of Alamo and demonizing anything not associated with the Anglos Texan Independence. No one wants to admit all sides were wrong, and much rather demonize the Mexican Army. It happened when I took Texas History in 5th grade. It indoctrinates the people that learn about it. I remember white kids and Mexican kids in conflict with each other over this. oh well, you can't change history.

Demonize the Mexican Army? When was that taught in History class?? Taking pride in the fact that Texas was able to annex, and fight off the new centralized government of Mexico (which had eradicated the state system, centralizing power and causing a civil conflicts) is something for all Texans to be proud of, should they be sorry for what happened? because of the conflict Mexico soon restored the constitution of 1824- keeping the nation from becoming a dictatorship, and eventually paving the way for the Constituent Congress. You have to keep in mind it's American History told by our perspective. I would venture to say that both sides are wrong, and I'm sure Mexico has a different perspective on the situation they tell their students. Bottom line: it's done and is America, we made good use of the land and have built a prosperous nation that is the envy of the world. Mexico still cannot get their stuff together..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or