U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2010, 08:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 2,087,324 times

Advertisements

Federal Court Bars Kansas Man from Preparing Federal Tax Returns

I had always wondered about something. In my city, we have a local Spanish publication and there usually are ads in it about tax return preparation services that specialize in Spanish-speaking residents, who are mostly from Mexico. I kinda had a bad feeling about these places because I know that businesses here that market to the Spanish-speaking immigrant population often fly under the radar in regards to being checked for their business practices. Well, I wondered if when an illegal immigrant comes in to file their tax return, do the preparers knowingly help them claim more exemptions than they really should have? To me, having seen the loyalty that Mexicans show to one another here in my state and in the U.S, I would not be surprised if tax preparers were doing those illegal things.

Well, I just so happened to be at the Department of Justice's website and one of the recent decisions was to keep a tax preperar in Kansas City, MO from working because he was found guilty of "claiming false dependent exemptions and false filing statuses for his customers, many of whom are recent Mexican immigrants with limited English-language skills and little or no knowledge of the complexities of the Internal Revenue Code or of the deductions and credits falsely claimed by Lares on their returns."

How often do you all think this happens in our local tax offices that are worked by Spanish-speaking immigrants? They are licensed to do such, but I think that the corruption in tax offices hasn't had much of a magnifying glass on it as it should. In fact, a lot of things in our federal and state governments are not looked at for corruption that helps illegal immigrants. This story comes from Kansas City too, a place that loves its illegal immigrants and I'm sure they have all kinds of tax preparers marketing to Spanish-speaking immigrants. I must say that the article doesn't say that the immigrants were illegal, but can't we imagine than more than likely some of them are?

I think that it is a problem that even when illegal immigrants are paying taxes, that they often can claim dependents and exemptions that they don't really have. So many pro-illegal immigrants want to talk about how illegal immigrants pay taxes, but anyone who knows illegal immigrants, knows just how much money they are getting back and how they claim dependents and exemptions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 PM

47,585 posts, read 35,961,238 times
What a couple of my neigbhors were doing - one is a disabled green card holder (who has sold his green card a number of times and reported it missing to get the replacement which comes in just a few days), and first I didn't know why but another couple was using his name on their 4 kids' birth certificates. I thought maybe they misunderstood the anchor baby-welfare program where neither parent has to be here legally and the kids are handed citizenship and all the government programs.

Well - it turned out they were doing this for years to access the child tax credits and EITC money, the two parents and this guy would split the winnings. The children's actual father of course didn't file any income statement, his money was his free and clear and untaxed, and of course the mother and kids lived off all the welfare programs they could get, the disabled green card holder gets very low income so with all those kids it's a nice hefty check. La Loteria almost. The mom's boyfriend got free housing and counted as a household member for the purpose of food stamps and so they all made out very very well.

I'm sure there are all kinds of frauds going on -- word gets around how to get what they can. You can bet that everyone working in these offices is pro-open borders and La Raza all the way and will encourage everyone to get what they can.

Last edited by malamute; 05-28-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM

378 posts, read 230,260 times
Thank you for posting this thread, "SoEdible" . . . a valid topic that I've wondered about, too.

"malamute", thanks for sharing that story. WOW. Now, multiply that by how many million . . . !

Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What a couple of my neigbhors were doing - one is a disabled green card holder (who has sold his green card a number of times and reported it missing to get the replacement which comes in just a few days), and first I didn't know why but another couple was using his name on their 4 kids' birth certificates. I thought maybe they misunderstood the anchor baby-welfare program where neither parent has to be here legally and the kids are handed citizenship and all the government programs.

Well - it turned out they were doing this for years to access the child tax credits and EITC money, the two parents and this guy would split the winnings. The children's actual father of course didn't file any income statement, his money was his free and clear and untaxed, and of course the mother and kids lived off all the welfare programs they could get, the disabled green card holder gets very low income so with all those kids it's a nice hefty check. La Loteria almost. The mom's boyfriend got free housing and counted as a household member for the purpose of food stamps and so they all made out very very well.

I'm sure there are all kinds of frauds going on -- word gets around how to get what they can. You can bet that everyone working in these offices is pro-open borders and La Raza all the way and will encourage everyone to get what they can.
I hear Mexican women in Wal-Mart talk about how they are getting money like this. It is almost as if they communicate to one another on how to get money from the government. So messed up.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
Thank you for posting this thread, "SoEdible" . . . a valid topic that I've wondered about, too.

"malamute", thanks for sharing that story. WOW. Now, multiply that by how many million . . . !
I need to get organized, so I can start following up on these things with my state and local government. Can't be having this.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:06 PM

378 posts, read 230,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I need to get organized, so I can start following up on these things with my state and local government. Can't be having this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration