U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:20 AM

19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times

Advertisements

I feel that most Americans, have caught on, to what is truly happening, and are now sick and tired of all the games being played, and just want our Government to give a damn about the illegal situation. Show some concern for what is going on currently in our Country with the illegal issue.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
What's surprising about this? I came of age in the 60's..(I'm a Viet Nam-era vet). Along about that time in history, "we" decided that we wanted to be a "multicultural society". It was never explained all too clearly exactly what this meant, but most of us thought it sounded pretty 'cool'...new food, new music, new art...that sort of thing.

Essentially, this (the illegal immigration debate) is an example of multiculturalsm...i.e., a huge cultural 'bloc' within our society, either unwilling or unable to put their 'country' above their 'culture'...and so it goes. These are people who feel STRONG loyalty to those who share some sort of historic cultural ties ('tribe'), and very WEAK loyalty toward their fellow American citizens.

It's not a GOOD situation..(and the future undoubtedly holds many more such conflicts)...but to me, it's perfectly logical. You can't have a multi-racial, multi-ethnic, multi-religious society of 330 million individuals, without emphasizing SOME sort of 'common bond'. Get rid of that 'common bond', and you have what we have today....culture vs culture, engaged in endless conflicts, because each feels more connected to its members than to our society at large.

Multiculturalism? Great fun at a picnic or a street fair...but as a way to run a society?...I'm not sure. I suggest next time we as a society feel the need to pursue a goal, we take the time to define the possible after-effects. Today, after 40 years or so of "celebrating our differences", we can no longer even have a rational discussion of who we "are"...(and, of course, any outsider can sense our divisiveness, and use it to his/ her advantage).

Illegal immigration shouldn't be a 'racial' issue, nor a cultural one....but that's what we've made it.
You know, I can agree with most of your post although I may add. When I first encountered this issue, I thought it insane that any called it a racial issue and tried very hard to see why those advocating for illegal aliens were so quick to throw it around. I still do not understand. In my researching I have found that it is those who are screaming it the loudest that are guilty of it the most. I still do not understand their claim yet I can see very clearly their aim.

The race card always stops the traffic yet white guilt was over a long time ago. This culture is too diverse for it to even make any sense to use it.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:49 AM

787 posts, read 1,623,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
desli;[/b]14419831]HA! That's what people say when they don't want to do their own homework OR when they cannot prove what they claim.
If you took the time to read the entire thread, the post below by AZLaim already PROVED my point...and his or her stats were from the Center for Immigration Reform (CIR). The CIR is a so called "non-partisan" group that is for very strict immigration controls. Moreover, if you control for age and gender, the numbers would be even lower than as reported by CIR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
AZLiam[/b];14411985]Of course it's not 90% of the crime in the United States; however, in AZ, illegal immigrants most likely are committing a disproportionate share of crime.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
You know, I can agree with most of your post although I may add. When I first encountered this issue, I thought it insane that any called it a racial issue and tried very hard to see why those advocating for illegal aliens were so quick to throw it around. I still do not understand. In my researching I have found that it is those who are screaming it the loudest that are guilty of it the most. I still do not understand their claim yet I can see very clearly their aim.

The race card always stops the traffic yet white guilt was over a long time ago. This culture is too diverse for it to even make any sense to use it.

The race card is often too quickly thrown around...but than again so are very sloppy statistics that paint an entire group as criminals!

Actually, sloppy statistics is just a euphemism for an inflamatory lie (i.e., the article you linked by Tony Elliot in Cypress Times).

Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
The race card is often too quickly thrown around...but than again so are very sloppy statistics that paint an entire group as criminals!

Actually, sloppy statistics is just a euphemism for an inflamatory lie (i.e., the article you linked by Tony Elliot in Cypress Times).
Illegal aliens are all guilty of breaking our immigration laws. Sure, not all of them are hardened criminals but no one is claiming that and that is where YOUR lie comes into play. It doesn't matter whether many, some or most fall into the hardened criminals catagory anyway as the bottom line is that they are in our country illegally stealing our jobs and benefits.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Illegal aliens are all guilty of breaking our immigration laws. Sure, not all of them are hardened criminals but no one is claiming that and that is where YOUR lie comes into play. It doesn't matter whether many, some or most fall into the hardened criminals catagory anyway as the bottom line is that they are in our country illegally stealing our jobs and benefits.

Oh, please get over it....the article the OP linked to this thread CLAIMED that 90% of the CRIME in the UNITED STATES is attributable to Hispanics. That is NOT my lie....

Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Oh, please get over it....the article the OP linked to this thread CLAIMED that 90% of the CRIME in the UNITED STATES is attributable to Hispanics. That is NOT my lie....
Again you miss the point and that is that MOST Americans don't view all illegal aliens as hardened criminals or that they think that most of the crime in the U.S. can be attributed to Hispanics in general.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Again you miss the point and that is that MOST Americans don't view all illegal aliens as hardened criminals or that they think that most of the crime in the U.S. can be attributed to Hispanics in general.

I never argued that was NOT the case....I was just pointing out the false stats in the original article.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 AM

563 posts, read 442,456 times
Quote:
I am doing my best not to laugh.....you make the claim that the illegal immigrants and their supporters are the true racists.

Yet, to support this claim you have linked an article that espouses racist dribble like this (and I quote from his first article referenced in the first paragraph):

"If you care to examine the statistics rather than hide from them, you will find that 90% of the crimes committed in the U.S. are from individuals of Spanish Heritage and most of the overcrowded prisons in our country are filled with individuals either here Illegally or associated with Illegal Aliens from South of the border."

The Latino population in the U.S. is approx. 15% of the nation. Of course, the guy offers no source for his claim because it's a LIE!!!!!

Come on guys...you can do better than this. Do you really believe this garbage???
I used to work in the Court System in Florida. A great majority of Defendants were of Spanish descent.

One these animals are picked up and they are illegal, the heck with a trial.....send them back to where they came from, unless it was a serious crime, then give them the appropriate long term punishment, but I still would rather send them back and let their government worry about them and pay for them.

If you are undocument you are breaking the law. If you break the law an an undocumented animal, then you deserve to be caged like an animal and shipped back to where you came from.

We need more people in office like Gov. Brewer. Rick Scott is running in Florida. I have always been a registered Democrat, but I do not vote by party. I go for who is for what is good for the people. Rick Scott is in favor of the Arizona law and will bring a similar law to Florida if elected where his opponent will not. I am actually switching party affiliations just so I can vote for Mr. Scott in the primary.

ILLEGALS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY. Anyone who thinks they should be here illegally can GO WITH THEM!!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM

3,045 posts, read 2,885,223 times
Well, I guess I'm a racist then and I'm okay with that. When I need a job done I always hire hispanics who are "possibly" here illegally. I don't ask and they don't tell. Why? Because they are happy to work for $25.00 an hour; they are consistently hard workers who take pride in what they do and they continually remind me how lucky I am to live in the U.S. As far as crime goes, I have had hispanic workers in my home alone, unsupervised for years and never experienced any theft or other problems. There are those who argue that I should be hiring people I know to be U.S. citizens who deserve the work. I will tell you that every job I hired out for skilled or unskilled labor (paying the same rate of $25.00 an hour) who were obviously from the U.S., I was disappointed with. Either the work was done sloppily or, the job was never completed--or, hallfway through a project the price goes up. So much for "hard working American values". Bottom line, if I lived in a country where there was no opportunity to provide for myself and my family I would do the same thing--go where there is opportunity. I have yet to meet the criminal element that everyone objects to. The folks that have worked for me have been polite, diligent and trustworthy; regular people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or