U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM

3,048 posts, read 2,886,524 times

Advertisements

you're welcome and good luck with that.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:45 AM

25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
The federal government consider "Improper entry" into the United states a misdermeanor punishable by fines and jail time up to a year in jail, most cases are ajudicated by deportation. No fines or jail time are imposed.

crossing into the US is a one time act violation. If you run a red light the act has been commited, you dont continue to run the light while driving.
If you commit other violations while driving, those are in addition to the red light running.

If a police officer[fed gov] stops you for running the red light[border crossing], he deals with that one infraction and cannot cite you for any other violations you may have commited while driving that he did not witness.
You do know any misdemeanor is considered a crime, right? So, under the law, they are criminals, pure and simple

Old 06-07-2010, 07:46 PM

563 posts, read 442,506 times
Went to the gas station by my house whose brother lives in TX and was out in Arizona. It was printed, whether or not it is true, they said since the boycott, crime has been down!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I switched to "Independent" for the same reason but different state.
I planned on going Independant as well, but would not be able to vote in the primary.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:22 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,179,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Went to the gas station by my house whose brother lives in TX and was out in Arizona. It was printed, whether or not it is true, they said since the boycott, crime has been down!!!
What type of crime? Is there a local story on it?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM

841 posts, read 790,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
I am doing my best not to laugh.....you make the claim that the illegal immigrants and their supporters are the true racists.

Yet, to support this claim you have linked an article that espouses racist dribble like this (and I quote from his first article referenced in the first paragraph):

"If you care to examine the statistics rather than hide from them, you will find that 90% of the crimes committed in the U.S. are from individuals of Spanish Heritage and most of the overcrowded prisons in our country are filled with individuals either here Illegally or associated with Illegal Aliens from South of the border."

The Latino population in the U.S. is approx. 15% of the nation. Of course, the guy offers no source for his claim because it's a LIE!!!!!

Come on guys...you can do better than this. Do you really believe this garbage???

A way to large portion of crimes for sure. I'm in L.A. and the main sheriff Lee Baca said in 2007 that over 2/3's of male inmates in Twin Towers (L.A.'s main jail) were illegals, so that means one heck of a lot of their inmates were Hispanic legals. One reason for this is that the Mexican illegals coming over here for several years already have a criminal record, one in four of them according to major news channels.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:12 PM

787 posts, read 1,623,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsicmovies View Post
A way to large portion of crimes for sure. I'm in L.A. and the main sheriff Lee Baca said in 2007 that over 2/3's of male inmates in Twin Towers (L.A.'s main jail) were illegals, so that means one heck of a lot of their inmates were Hispanic legals. One reason for this is that the Mexican illegals coming over here for several years already have a criminal record, one in four of them according to major news channels.
First of all, here is a link to an LA Times article quoting the results of a RAND Corp. study refuting that illegals are more likely to be involved in crime.

Crime rate higher for deportees - Los Angeles Times

Second, you provide no link to Baca's comments. The Twin Towers are only PART of many LA County jail facilities. The Twin Towers are in a heavily Latino part of the city.

Third, you provide NO ACTUAL sources for any of your other ridiculous assertions.

A quote from the RAND study's main author you should pay attention to:
'"I think our bottom line is there is so much untested rhetoric out there," Hickman said. "I think people are just spouting off their mouths without any basis in data." Laura Hickman, study's main author. RAND CORP.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
What type of crime? Is there a local story on it?
I do not know what publication it was in, but I'm sure it was in general and possibly a misdemenor, but whether it was a small or big crime, when they comit it that means there was a victim.

Like I said, put these animals in a cage and ship them back. Doesn't the post office have that deal, no matter how much it weighs, ship for one price? LOL

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM

13,050 posts, read 21,168,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
First of all, here is a link to an LA Times article quoting the results of a RAND Corp. study refuting that illegals are more likely to be involved in crime.

Crime rate higher for deportees - Los Angeles Times
Did you read your own posted link? It doesn't refute that illegals are more likely to be involved in crime. The article compares the rate of repeat offense between illegals who were deported against illegals that weren't deported. The whole point of the article you posted was that we need to keep deported illegals from finding a way back into our country because 75% of them get rearrested within a year of their deportation. From the article YOU posted:

The authors acknowledged that the study was limited because they couldn't determine the immigration status of many of the inmates and others may have falsely claimed U.S. birth. As a result, the study limited its analysis to 517 male illegal immigrants released from Los Angeles County jails between Aug. 4 and Sept. 2, 2002.

Law enforcement authorities said the report, published online this summer in the journal Crime & Delinquency, underscores their ongoing efforts to target illegal immigrants who have been ordered deported or removed from the United States. But L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca said the report also shows that the federal government needs to do more to stop criminals from sneaking back across the U.S.-Mexico border.

"Criminals who are illegal immigrants know no limits and no boundaries," he said. "The harder we make it for them to get across, the better."

I don't think you could have been any further off. But thanks for supplying a very informative link proving that illegal immigrants are a scourge on safety in LA County. Those of us who aren't pandering to illegals already knew that.

Old 06-08-2010, 10:30 AM

787 posts, read 1,623,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Did you read your own posted link? It doesn't refute that illegals are more likely to be involved in crime. The article compares the rate of repeat offense between illegals who were deported against illegals that weren't deported. The whole point of the article you posted was that we need to keep deported illegals from finding a way back into our country because 75% of them get rearrested within a year of their deportation. From the article YOU posted:

The authors acknowledged that the study was limited because they couldn't determine the immigration status of many of the inmates and others may have falsely claimed U.S. birth. As a result, the study limited its analysis to 517 male illegal immigrants released from Los Angeles County jails between Aug. 4 and Sept. 2, 2002.

Law enforcement authorities said the report, published online this summer in the journal Crime & Delinquency, underscores their ongoing efforts to target illegal immigrants who have been ordered deported or removed from the United States. But L.A. County Sheriff Lee Baca said the report also shows that the federal government needs to do more to stop criminals from sneaking back across the U.S.-Mexico border.

"Criminals who are illegal immigrants know no limits and no boundaries," he said. "The harder we make it for them to get across, the better."

I don't think you could have been any further off. But thanks for supplying a very informative link proving that illegal immigrants are a scourge on safety in LA County. Those of us who aren't pandering to illegals already knew that.
You are completely wrong.

1) Read this recent article from Newsweek which refers to a study showing the LINK between IMMIGRATION and FALLING CRIME in America's LARGEST cities.

How Immigrants Actually Reduce Crime - Newsweek

2) Here is a similar piece from 2007.
Do Immigrants Make U.S. Safer? - Newsweek

3) Read the original study I referred to. The study say yes, illegal immigrants WHO COMMIT CRIMES and are deported and RETURN are likey to commit more crimes. But the STUDY ALSO SAYS: "illegal immigrants, overall, were not a greater crime risk." That was the point of my post. I do NOT support illegal immigration but nor do I support scapegoating a whole group of people based on faulty hysteria.

Get YOUR facts straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or