U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:01 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,840,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $ocrates View Post
Hard? ...yes it is if you are used to cheap labor, and black market jobs. But you can't have it both ways.
If you really want your country to prosper, you need to fix legal way for legal immigrants, and grow some balls to face illegal immigrants which don't participate in growth of US.
However - let's not forget. The USA already takes in far more legal immigrants than any other nation on earth. Most immigrants don't create businesses that hire Americans, most of the time immigrant businesses are for the purpose of bringing in the extended relatives, the entire village.

I do believe that legal immigration needs reforming - it is far too heavy on the family chain migration. Family sponsorship should be cut way back and replaced with those with work sponsors. It's extremely unfair that a sloth with some kind of relative here can easily immigrate legally but a hard worker with no relative will find it difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 05:19 PM

14 posts, read 70,527 times
My immigrant relatives came in the 1940's. They definitely did not expect a handout. You can't compare the Ellis Island experience to what is going on with immigration now.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 AM

32,921 posts, read 30,173,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy n View Post
My immigrant relatives came in the 1940's. They definitely did not expect a handout. You can't compare the Ellis Island experience to what is going on with immigration now.

Absolutely not, a better comparison is a line waiting at the front while the destitute criminals kick in the back door, swarm in and expect to take over.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:37 PM

6,013 posts, read 6,739,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
They came to the US to have better lives.
Just like OUR relatives did in the past.
I do not remember OUR relatives, asking the Native Americans for permission to settle here?
My guess is, if the illegals were all Swedes or German's.
You wouldn't have heard a peep out of Arizona.........................................

Steve
COLONIAL times are not the same as now europeans settled mexico too and mexicans themselves are a byproduct of that and more.

spain settled the SW STATES before americans

Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,189,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $ocrates View Post
Oh you all so politically correct American minds....
...let's make something clear ...are you talking about Illegal Immigration or Hispanic Illegal Immigration?

I'm sick and tired of listening how those immigrants are bad and taking resources from American people.
If you call us names...at least be fair and stop this political correctness / BS.

Let me explain you why...

I was illegal in US for over 15 years. I came from Europe, learned English in ESL classes every day after 10 hours shift. Built up my own company and after building client network, I hired few (then more) Americans. I have paid about $40~50k every year in taxes (and I was happy to do so), I have donated $10k every year to charities, because I felt I need to participate somehow...and yes I did great for myself. I had brand new BMW, big house..and all this American Dream elements.

After trying all legal ways finally I gave up. I could just marry to American citizen to get papers but why to cheat and dig deeper hole? I wanted clearly say ...yes I'm here illegal but I want to pay my fines and become someone who legally can stay and someday become citizen.

Most of you write ...hey there is plenty of legal ways to be in US legally.... I will call your bluf....it is big BS....and if you think I'm lying ...try it yourself. Many of my friends apply in US embassies in Europe for various types of visas. No go. If you are young, talented, skilled and speak English... there is slim chance that you will be granted any visa. But if you old and doesn't speak English....you are mostly welcome. Why? In US Embassy officer's eyes those people are not a threat...while exactly those people stay in US taking babysitting / cleaning jobs. Where is logic? there is none. Why they allow people who will not pay taxes and not assimilate vs. people who want to built this country even better? Don't ask me ...ask your government who welcomes cheap uneducated labor force.

What is even more interesting.... did you even hear about US citizens who doesn't speak English? Please tell me how this is possible. I personally met at least dozen of legal immigrants that took their Oath of Allegiance by memorizing it word by word, because their English is limited to YES, NO, COCA-COLA.

Why government allows to award people like that citizenship while they don't have any means to assimilate? I know specific cases when people after spending 20-30 years in US barely speak English.
What is even more interesting....there is a large number of those people moving back to homeland, leaving US because (as they say)..they have a hard time to integrate.
For Christ sakes....HARD TIME? US offers FREE ESL classes (been there, done that). If you can't make it in US you can't make it anywhere...but those kind of people just look for excuses, ...and that's your new uneducated barely English speaking citizens.

During my years in US, I've barely seen my family from EU. After my mother died I faced the choice of staying in US or leaving to attend her funeral without option to came back.
It was no brainier for me. Since US doesn't want me here, doesn't provide any legal way to participate in growing this country better...I decided to leave.
With big regret ...I was forced to fire all my employees (about 25 people ..all Americans), ..I was liquidating all assets / real estate at discount value (thanks to US banks by the way) which I guess...lowered the value of the neighbor's properties. I took all my family, said bye to my friends and moved back overseas.

I have my pride, I know what I'm worth. I didn't moved to US for economic reasons because I came from relatively rich country...so I will not allow to some people place me in the same line with those illegal immigrants who are the problem in us. And just looking by the ratio you exactly know that problem in US is with Hispanic illegal immigration. I have many Hispanic friends in US (some very talented guys)....but let's face it.... vast majority of those illegal immigrants are not those Hispanics.

I'm not a racist ...I don't discriminate....I call facts.
I'm fed up with bull**** of political correctness and lack of logic.

Fixing illegal immigration is simple as upgrading to better version of ID / Driver license with immigration status embedded in card data. People swipe credit cards every day...let them swipe one card more, when they go to doctor, renew driver license, apply for job, loan or open account. One swipe will tell if you are tourist, citizen, just staying on working / school visa or plain illegal.

Hard? ...yes it is if you are used to cheap labor, and black market jobs. But you can't have it both ways.
If you really want your country to prosper, you need to fix legal way for legal immigrants, and grow some balls to face illegal immigrants which don't participate in growth of US.
If I had my way I'd see you get deported and never come back. I don't make exceptions to any sob story, I'm sorry. But that'd be racist if I'd let you stay and deport the Mexicans. Gotta be equal don't ya know? I'm for limiting ALL immigration. We have just way too many immigrants in this country and we continue to take in insane amounts every year. The family immigration needs to be extremely limited to only about a few hundred every year, with priority given to developed 1st world nations (western Europe, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea). The US citizenship requirements need to be raised so that you are at least semi-fluent in English (about a C-1 level using the EU's framework) and you must have been a LEGAL permanent resident for 15-20 years and must take intensive classes on good American citizenship, what it means to be an American, and to be fluent in the Constitution and how it works.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM

10,032 posts, read 6,876,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
They came to the US to have better lives.
Just like OUR relatives did in the past.
I do not remember OUR relatives, asking the Native Americans for permission to settle here?
My guess is, if the illegals were all Swedes or German's.
You wouldn't have heard a peep out of Arizona.........................................

Steve

Now back to 2010....the era where the race card flows freely with people who have no solid debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or