U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:34 PM

888 posts, read 620,308 times

Advertisements

Oh, and please don't give me any BS about violating.....the LAW!!
Down South in the 50's and 60's, the had LAWS requiring Literacy Tests and Poll Taxes.....specifically designed to keep Black People from exercising their rights as American Citizens to VOTE!!

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:44 PM

9,041 posts, read 12,355,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
They came to the US to have better lives.
Just like OUR relatives did in the past.
I do not remember OUR relatives, asking the Native Americans for permission to settle here?
My guess is, if the illegals were all Swedes or German's.
You wouldn't have heard a peep out of Arizona.........................................

Steve
The so-called Native Americans came from somewhere else--and THEY took the land THEY wanted from someone else, so that old, weak argument does not hold any water, and never did. If you don't think that early inhabitants down through the centuries warred among themselves for control of land, you don't know your history.

This is the 21st Century.

There are current laws regarding immigration that have not been enforced.

If the incentives to come here illegally are removed, that will take care of the problems in large measure.

But they want the cheap labor, along with not having to pay the prevailing minimum wage--nor benefits.

And so it continues.....

Old 05-30-2010, 02:03 PM

50,344 posts, read 47,744,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The so-called Native Americans came from somewhere else--and THEY took the land THEY wanted from someone else, so that old, weak argument does not hold any water, and never did. If you don't think that early inhabitants down through the centuries warred among themselves for control of land, you don't know your history.

This is the 21st Century.

There are current laws regarding immigration that have not been enforced.

If the incentives to come here illegally are removed, that will take care of the problems in large measure.

But they want the cheap labor, along with not having to pay the prevailing minimum wage--nor benefits.

And so it continues.....
very good point. the history of real estate.
somebody came to the land- said-- god gave me this land --ran off or killed the existing inhabitants and settled there. trust me when the red man got here it was already inhabited.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:04 PM

47,585 posts, read 36,043,498 times
Quote:
Down South in the 50's and 60's, the had LAWS requiring Literacy Tests and Poll Taxes.....specifically designed to keep Black People from exercising their rights as American Citizens to VOTE!!

Steve
??? What does any of that have to do with breaking immigration laws and the huge flood of people pouring illegally over the border?

Or are you in favor of slave labor which is what illegals often essentially are?

Old 05-30-2010, 02:07 PM

47,585 posts, read 36,043,498 times
Anyhow - why not explain why you believe the USA with unemployment rates and lack of job creation absolutely must have millions of people arriving here -- and if you believe the USA should take in all of the over 2 billion impoverished people of the world who want their better (welfare handouts) life or if there is a limit to how many people we can take in.

And exactly why do you not believe they should stay and work to improve their own country rather than 90% of their country packing up and getting the hell out of it and into the USA - jobs or no jobs?. After all their country is part of the same rich land mass, same ocean coasts, plentiful natural resources and excellent climate.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:14 PM

9,041 posts, read 12,355,320 times
Furthermore, from The Daily Courier, Prescott, AZ:

http://www.prescottaz.com/main.asp?S...rticleID=81447

Mexico gives nothing, takes much

Since the day I was born, I have been an American. Who I am, what I have, and what I have done with my life, I owe it all to this country I call home: America.

Mexico has never been there for its people, and even less for an American like me....

....Since the signing of SB1070, many civil rights leaders and liberals have come out and criticized the new law. If people want civil rights, where's the concern for the civil rights of all those who have been violated by some of the people coming over illegally? What about the civil rights of the murdered rancher in southern Arizona, and the endless list of victims who have been murdered, raped, assaulted, had their identity or their car stolen, or numerous other crimes?

Old 05-30-2010, 06:19 PM

13,025 posts, read 24,490,406 times
Quote:

Steve
And what does the 50's and 60's poll tax in the deep south have to do with us in the southwest and illegal immigration here ??

Old 05-30-2010, 07:04 PM

210 posts, read 230,730 times
I hope New Mexico does not follow in Arizona'a path. I agree with Steve, we were all immigrants in a past generation. Lets welcome the immigrants with open arms and work together towards a better future for the United States.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:37 PM

49 posts, read 63,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
I hope New Mexico does not follow in Arizona'a path. I agree with Steve, we were all immigrants in a past generation. Lets welcome the immigrants with open arms and work together towards a better future for the United States.
If they were LEGAL immigrants, that would be much better. But Illegals, not. Let them go to your midwest and see how you like it.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:54 PM

1,828 posts, read 2,214,158 times
What about this article in the Arizona Capitol Times (May 17), titled "Trespassing law may turn more illegal immigrants into citizens", which predicted the law would have the reverse effect and draw more illegals into Arizona? The reason is the huge backlog of immigration cases and lack of detention facilities, meaning that the more people are detained, the more get released, often getting temporary residence status, work permits, or permanent citizenship while awaiting hearings--and even now there is a five-year wait for an immigration hearing. One immigration attorney in Phoenix says that it could be 2035 before they could schedule hearings for the entire current illegal population of Phoenix. And there just isn't money for more immigration courts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration