Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 AM

1,732 posts, read 4,448,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post

PS That essay from the California teacher should be read by every eastern liberal who defends ILLEGAL immigration into the USA!
No, that essay addresses the problems with Title 1 schools, which New Mexico is filled with ( and these are not poor illegal immigrants having kids they cannot afford ) , and all of which drain monetary resources from education with poor outcomes.

Access the APS website sometime and compare Title 1 schools with test scores and graduation rates.

Title 1 was one criteria we used in eliminating possible schools for our son to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 AM

163 posts, read 240,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest liberal View Post
How do they demand handouts? Most are working and paying into social security, which they will never be able to collect.
You're right, they will never collect on the social security that is paid on the stolen/fraudulent ss number they use to work.

Instead they get to file taxes claiming many dependents and low income allowing them to get back a refund (including a "low income" refund) that is much more than they ever paid in the first place. Then, through either babies born here or the stolen/fraudulent ss numbers they use they are entitled to welfare, food stamps, housing and utility subsidies and even subsidies for gas. The kids (both legal and illegal) get free education with at least 2 free meals thrown in. Then there is the medical care they get by using the ER as a doctor's office.

All that they are able to get is much more than they receive in their home countries and more than many Americans are able to receive yet they are not happy. They want more and the fact is that Arizona (and the country as a whole) can no longer support it their easy lifestyles.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:11 AM

210 posts, read 408,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
You're right, they will never collect on the social security that is paid on the stolen/fraudulent ss number they use to work.

Instead they get to file taxes claiming many dependents and low income allowing them to get back a refund (including a "low income" refund) that is much more than they ever paid in the first place. Then, through either babies born here or the stolen/fraudulent ss numbers they use they are entitled to welfare, food stamps, housing and utility subsidies and even subsidies for gas. The kids (both legal and illegal) get free education with at least 2 free meals thrown in. Then there is the medical care they get by using the ER as a doctor's office.

All that they are able to get is much more than they receive in their home countries and more than many Americans are able to receive yet they are not happy. They want more and the fact is that Arizona (and the country as a whole) can no longer support it their easy lifestyles.
If there is not one adult with legal documentation in the household, they cannot get the earned income tax credit. Most of the undocumented immigrants work hard. If we were humane and figured out a way for the immigrants to buy insurance, the ER visits would not be necessary. What if the shoe was on the other foot and it was you that was born in Mexico? Wouldn't you do everything humanly possible to improve the life for your family?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM

210 posts, read 408,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
Federal regulations are often adopted by states as the MINIMAL basis for state law. There is nothing to prevent states from imposing even stricter laws.

PS That essay from the California teacher should be read by every eastern liberal who defends ILLEGAL immigration into the USA!
The essay is full of false information but I am sure glad you enjoyed reading it. Why not do your own research to see how little if any benefits illegal immigrants can receive?

Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 AM

163 posts, read 240,763 times
Quote:
If there is not one adult with legal documentation in the household, they cannot get the earned income tax credit. Most of the undocumented immigrants work hard. If we were humane and figured out a way for the immigrants to buy insurance, the ER visits would not be necessary. What if the shoe was on the other foot and it was you that was born in Mexico? Wouldn't you do everything humanly possible to improve the life for your family?
Right and people who are not legally in this country shouldn't be allowed to work here or receive any social services but it still happens all the time. It's called fraud.

Even if most of the illegal aliens were hard working that does not excuse the abuse of our laws and social services. And we ARE humane, that's why they've been able to take advantage of us for as long as they have. But they pushed the envelope and went too far and now even those who did right and went through the legal process are suffering because of it.

And if you really believe that it's as simple as allowing them to buy insurance to stop the ER abuse then I don't know what to say. All I know is the illegal population in my area are not about to give up the freebies. They play the system and are not only not inclined to give that up but want more.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,590,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And exactly why do you not believe they should stay and work to improve their own country rather than 90% of their country packing up and getting the hell out of it and into the USA - jobs or no jobs?. After all their country is part of the same rich land mass, same ocean coasts, plentiful natural resources and excellent climate.
I sort of like Edward Abbey's solution... meet them at the border, give them guns and ammo, and turn them back around.

But... corruption is a tough nut to crack, and the longer it goes on the worse it gets. Now with the country nearly failed due to our insane "war on drugs", I fear Mexico will get even worse before it improves...

Old 05-31-2010, 10:01 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Quote:
What if the shoe was on the other foot and it was you that was born in Mexico? Wouldn't you do everything humanly possible to improve the life for your family?
It's already i on the other foot as i cannot immigrate to Cannes, France my fave place on earth without properly doing do or i'd get deported back to here by the French government.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
I hope New Mexico does not follow in Arizona'a path. I agree with Steve, we were all immigrants in a past generation. Lets welcome the immigrants with open arms and work together towards a better future for the United States.
Our ancestors immigrated to new and essentially wild and sparsely populated land. When my ancestors arrived and settled in IL in the 1870s, the population of the US was 38mil... now it is nearly 10 times that! IMO we reached the point of "enough" a long time ago. And, we would have leveled off decades ago if it wasn't for illegal immigration.

It is very difficult to *legally* immigrate to any semi-desirable country... generally they require you to be fairly wealthy, and/or have specialized skills that are particularly in need. I know a woman from Canada who has been trying to become a US citizen for years. She has a PhD (went to school in the US) but she can't get citizenship... so will have to go back to Canada.

I *do* feel for the people escaping from Mexico to the US... I've even helped some of them when they were in need... and IMO the great majority of them would make fine citizens. Problem is a) we don't need more citizens, and b) letting people in illegally is a really stupid way to do it, even if we did.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sGuy View Post
It's already i on the other foot as i cannot immigrate to Cannes, France my fave place on earth without properly doing do or i'd get deported back to here by the French government.
I checked into immigrating to New Zealand... but they only wanted rich people.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
How do they demand handouts? Most are working and paying into social security, which they will never be able to collect.
Source? Only those who commit felony document fraud are possibly paying anything into social security - and that is only if you assume their illegal employer actually pays into social security if they do deduct those taxes.

Many don't you know. If you hire illegals, you're after the quick easy profits anyhow, are already fine with breaking the laws and why not just deduct the taxes from their checks and keep it?

Illegals working for cash never pay into social security.

And the whole purpose in demanding amnesy and citizenship is that many intend never to go home and they want a plush retirement with a social security check -- whether or not they ever paid in a dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration