U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM

1,150 posts, read 992,618 times

Advertisements

<<I understand perfectly what the writer Senator Howard's explanation of the 14th Amendment meant.>>

Same here. When Senator Howard clarified the meaning, and stated which children would be entitled to birthright citizenship he named children of 'aliens.' Just because he didn't specify 'illegal aliens,' I doubt very much if he meant children of illegal aliens would be the only aliens entitled to becomes citizens at birth. If he didn't mean the children of illegal aliens, I wish someone would tell me which aliens he meant.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Funny you seem not to understand that the Spureme Court has already set precedent in this mater. Funny how that works.
They have never addressed a court case where illegal aliens were involved. The only citizenship case that was ruled on was one that involved a legal immigrant.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:35 PM

1,150 posts, read 992,618 times
<<Funny you seem not to understand that the Spureme Court has already set precedent in this mater.>>

There is precedent, yes, but the Supreme Court has only ruled on individual cases. They have never ruled on the constitutionality of the 14th ammendment.

I believe right now, or at least recently, there's a case before them of a Guantanamo detainee who was born in the US to parents who were temporary workers here. It looks as though he may lose his bid.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,094,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Funny you seem not to understand that the Spureme Court has already set precedent in this mater.>>

There is precedent, yes, but the Supreme Court has only ruled on individual cases. They have never ruled on the constitutionality of the 14th ammendment.

I believe right now, or at least recently, there's a case before them of a Guantanamo detainee who was born in the US to parents who were temporary workers here. It looks as though he may lose his bid.
thats plain rediculous, how can an amendment to THE CONSTITUTION be un-constitutional.

Im out of here thing just got to wierd.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:06 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I understand perfectly what the writer Senator Howard's explanation of the 14th Amendment meant.
You have demonstrated that you do not.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Funny you seem not to understand that the Spureme Court has already set precedent in this mater. Funny how that works.
You might be arguing with the wrong guy here. I'm not sure.

I understand that, according to the US Supreme Court, the children of illegal aliens born on US Soil are natural born American citizens.

Is that not your understanding?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
<<I understand perfectly what the writer Senator Howard's explanation of the 14th Amendment meant.>>

Same here. When Senator Howard clarified the meaning, and stated which children would be entitled to birthright citizenship he named children of 'aliens.' Just because he didn't specify 'illegal aliens,' I doubt very much if he meant children of illegal aliens would be the only aliens entitled to becomes citizens at birth. If he didn't mean the children of illegal aliens, I wish someone would tell me which aliens he meant.
This is an absolute falsehood. Senator Howard never mentioned children of aliens once.

He mentioned children who were aliens, and he defined them as those belonging to the families of foreign diplomats.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
They have never addressed a court case where illegal aliens were involved. The only citizenship case that was ruled on was one that involved a legal immigrant.
And that changes their definition... how exactly?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Excuse me?

The 14th Amendment is the single greatest source of litigation in front of the US Supreme Court, and has been so for more than a century. SCOTUS has had literally thousands of opportunities to "rule on the constitutionality of the 14th Amendment." They have in every case accepted it as the law of the land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy
Are you taking bets on that one?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And that changes their definition... how exactly?
It certainly should since the writer of the 14th was clear that birthright citizenship was not intended for children of illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or