Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:09 AM

346 posts, read 708,952 times

Advertisements

Arizona's economy is doing bad during a time when the economy itself is doing terrible? It's the boycotts for sure I tells ya! /sarcasm/

The ATA and AHLA see the conventions being cancelled, but do they see the money people around the US are pouring into Arizona businesses to support them? You'd be surprised at the power of the American (Read: Not LA) people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 12:13 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i love AZ was just there.
i love the fast food there, it reminds me of the 50's all the help are anglo.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:24 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i love AZ was just there.
i love the fast food there, it reminds me of the 50's all the help are anglo.
places outside of so calif typically have Americans (of ALL races/ethnicities) working in those places. It's great to not have to repeat your order in case that they didn't understand you. In n out typically have wholesome high school kids working there. I can't recall ever seeing the tattooed, nose ringed variety working there nor the recent ESL immigrant types either.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:01 AM

3,071 posts, read 9,135,150 times
No they ant..This is total BS

Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Illegal Immigration Taking Toll On Arizona

going forward....not so much

Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Illegal Immigration Taking Toll On Arizona

going forward....not so much

I'm diggin all the articles about Calderon whining about how the Mexican Cities can't withstand all the returning Patriots.

Welcome to our World.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Arizona's economy is doing bad during a time when the economy itself is doing terrible? It's the boycotts for sure I tells ya! /sarcasm/

The ATA and AHLA see the conventions being cancelled, but do they see the money people around the US are pouring into Arizona businesses to support them? You'd be surprised at the power of the American (Read: Not LA) people.
good post, estimating the loss to be X number of $$s and blaming it all on the boycott is rediculous and for someone to believe it is more rediculous. Only those who want to hold onto the notion that everyone is boycotting the state will buy this one.

Nita

Old 06-03-2010, 09:45 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Heard that Maricopa County Burn Ward is laying off over 100 people. Wonder why? Unpaid bills? Nah. The tourisim business has been hurting all along and it will come back in due time.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:47 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Busloads of foreigners head to the grand canyon west past my road every day....with their $$$. It's ironic to see Chinese lettering on the sides. We are doing fine. My tiny bank stayed open...shock..and people still put $$$ into accounts. double shock...life goes on in the land of sunshine, and no tarballs.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:30 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,382,016 times
Here's another article from the Wall Street Journal pointing out how the boycotts are hurting the hospitality businesses in Arizona:

"Hitting tourism

It's already having an effect on tourism, officials say, and it could get worse as time goes on. Within two weeks of the immigration bill's passage, 23 large groups of conventioneers had canceled plans to come to Phoenix, costing the city as much as $10 million in business, says Kristen Jarnagin, spokeswoman for the Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association.

It's not just the short-term business that could be affected, Jarnagin adds. Groups normally would be booking conventions now for events that are years away.

"We do feel there is a fair amount of lost business from people who are in the stage of booking meetings," Jarnagin said. "There is a long-term potential impact there. I don't know that we'll ever be able to calculate it."

At the Phoenix Convention Center, the nation's oldest African-American fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha, has scrubbed plans for a July event involving 5,000 conventioneers. At least 19 other groups may follow suit, resulting in a loss of $90 million in revenue, according to local published reports."

Phoenix hospitality business is hit by boycotts - MarketWatch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration