U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-03-2010, 11:52 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Well let's just not have any immigrations laws then, shall we? That way we won't offend anyone and our tourism industry will be burgeoning. While were at it let's keep the vault doors open so that we don't offend any bank robbers. Let's keep our doors unlocked at night so we don't offend any would be thieves, rapists and murderers also. When we are overun with the world's poor who will be able to come here at will without enough jobs and resources for everyone we won't be able to afford to vacation anywhere and that will kill the tourist industry. Oh wait, we will be back to square one again!
Just because a bad law is being denounced doesnt mean America wants to open the flood gates. Most Americans know and want sound, rational, logical reform. And Americans are smart enough to know that Arizona was playing "fast and loose" with immigrants and the rules until the Economy crashed...Now they are the victim.

Dont try sell me a bill of damaged goods and say I dont know how to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:01 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Just because a bad law is being denounced doesnt mean America wants to open the flood gates. Most Americans know and want sound, rational, logical reform. And Americans are smart enough to know that Arizona was playing "fast and loose" with immigrants and the rules until the Economy crashed...Now they are the victim.

Dont try sell me a bill of damaged goods and say I dont know how to shop.
It is only your uninformed and biased opinion that this is a bad law. Most Americans approve of it. Reform? You mean amnesty/legalization, right? No, most Americans don't want that kind of reform. What they want is the current laws on the books to be enforced and any incentives to come here illegally removed along with securing our borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is only your uninformed and biased opinion that this is a bad law. Most Americans approve of it. Reform? You mean amnesty/legalization, right? No, most Americans don't want that kind of reform. What they want is the current laws on the books to be enforced and any incentives to come here illegally removed along with securing our borders.
Yes I am the only person in the entire world that thinks the Az law is a poorly writen and ill consived law which will in actuallity do nothing to secure the borders of the State of Arizona. I am the only person in the world that recognizes that SB1070 will do nothing to replenish the empty coffers of a broke[admission by the governor] State. And I alone will stand and notice that if the law EVER goes into effect, it will do little to reduce the number of undocumented aliens in that state.

And on the day the US Supreme court rules this Dog-of-a-law unconstitutional, I alone will pat myself on the back for a job well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,777 posts, read 24,001,037 times
Reputation: 12105
Its not just boycotts that are taking a toll. For that matter, a city announcing a boycott carries no meaning if people don't abide by it. The bigger issue here is of people being discouraged, from picking AZ as a destination, to avoid potential hassles. The government of Arizona has brought it to the state, its people and the businesses.

People take vacation to get away from it all, have less to worry about, not more. I can certainly see how that comes into play from people choosing to pick other destinations instead, especially if you don't "look" American enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
 
Location: San Diego North County
4,800 posts, read 7,686,811 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Just because a bad law is being denounced doesnt mean America wants to open the flood gates. Most Americans know and want sound, rational, logical reform. And Americans are smart enough to know that Arizona was playing "fast and loose" with immigrants and the rules until the Economy crashed...Now they are the victim.

Dont try sell me a bill of damaged goods and say I dont know how to shop.
How can a law, which does no more than enforce sovereign U.S. law enacted in 1996 by then President Bill Clinton (in an overwhelming bipartisan vote) and has been stated to do no more than that by a number of Constitutional Law professors be a bad law? If it is Constitutional--and apparently it is, then it is a good law.

Does that mean you want to do away with sovereign United States immigration law? How about the U.S. Constitution?

Arizona's law does not play fast and loose with immigrants. Immigrants abide by U.S. immigration law and come to this country legally.

Illegal immigrants, the target of this law, do not.

'Nuff said.

Last edited by Kele; 06-03-2010 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Its not just boycotts that are taking a toll. For that matter, a city announcing a boycott carries no meaning if people don't abide by it. The bigger issue here is of people being discouraged, from picking AZ as a destination, to avoid potential hassles. The government of Arizona has brought it to the state, its people and the businesses.

People take vacation to get away from it all, have less to worry about, not more. I can certainly see how that comes into play from people choosing to pick other destinations instead, especially if you don't "look" American enough.
Just who doesn't look American enough? I mean we have been racially and ethnically diverse since this country's founding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:25 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Yes I am the only person in the entire world that thinks the Az law is a poorly writen and ill consived law which will in actuallity do nothing to secure the borders of the State of Arizona. I am the only person in the world that recognizes that SB1070 will do nothing to replenish the empty coffers of a broke[admission by the governor] State. And I alone will stand and notice that if the law EVER goes into effect, it will do little to reduce the number of undocumented aliens in that state.

And on the day the US Supreme court rules this Dog-of-a-law unconstitutional, I alone will pat myself on the back for a job well done.
No, you aren't the only one with an "agenda" who "claims" this law is poorly written.

If you don't think that fear of being discovered in Arizona won't play a role in exits and entries of illegal aliens into that state then you you're not thinking logically.

Prepare yourself for a slap rather than a pat as this law will hold up in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Reputation: 38626
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Here's another article from the Wall Street Journal pointing out how the boycotts are hurting the hospitality businesses in Arizona:

"Hitting tourism

It's already having an effect on tourism, officials say, and it could get worse as time goes on. Within two weeks of the immigration bill's passage, 23 large groups of conventioneers had canceled plans to come to Phoenix, costing the city as much as $10 million in business, says Kristen Jarnagin, spokeswoman for the Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association.

It's not just the short-term business that could be affected, Jarnagin adds. Groups normally would be booking conventions now for events that are years away.


"We do feel there is a fair amount of lost business from people who are in the stage of booking meetings," Jarnagin said. "There is a long-term potential impact there. I don't know that we'll ever be able to calculate it."


At the Phoenix Convention Center, the nation's oldest African-American fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha, has scrubbed plans for a July event involving 5,000 conventioneers. At least 19 other groups may follow suit, resulting in a loss of $90 million in revenue, according to local published reports."



Phoenix hospitality business is hit by boycotts - MarketWatch
that article has appeared here on these threads already, it is 2 plus weeks old and refers to things like Cinco De Mayo which most would expect to affect a bar for a short period of time. The article also used the word "potential" not that the boycott had, at the time, done any real damage.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 PM
 
358 posts, read 332,608 times
Reputation: 107
Just a reminder... how much money does Arizona spend on illegal immigrants every year?? low estimate is 2 billion, high 3.5 billion. I love these "the sky is falling" threads.. Hey Sur- you added Boston to the list of cities boycotting right? problem is... well Mass. has now passed a tough immigration bill... so is Boston going to boycott the state?? I love how you take a minority of cities boycotting (I have posted for you the responses of readers in the L.A. Times showing over 90% disagree with the AZ boycott) and you try and turn it into this "huge deal". Ahhh... when will you ever learn? tell the whole story, lopsided truths do you no justice. Hey.. I was trying to be your friend- still not on my friends list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
Reputation: 47449
only place i see where AZ is on its knees is on the CDF immigration troll posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top