U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:37 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,851 times

Advertisements

Here in Denver, the Denver Public School District held a press conference to declare that they were boycotting Arizona and weren't going to be sending any teachers or staff down there in order to send a "message." After a few softball questions, a reporter asked the Superintendent how many people they normally send to Arizona every year. He couldn't answer the question so the reporter did a follow up investigation. Turns out, they NEVER send anyone to Arizona...they hold all of their conferences in Las Vegas and have for many years.

I suppose the point was that IF they were, in the unlikeliest of circumstances, going to move their conference location out of Las Vegas, they definitely wouldn't be coming to Arizona.

It also explains why DPS is one of the worst-performing school districts in our state who was just boasting that they finally broke the 50% graduation rate.

The point is that there is a difference between "Hello, I'm calling to cancel the 150 rooms we booked for our conference next month" versus "Well, we were considering Phoenix as a potential contender for a conference in 2012 but we aren't now". Phoenix is not "losing millions of dollars" as those who think the boycott is actually working like to boast. The only official cancellation of a conference was a Hispanic Legal group who cancelled and had to pay $91K in cancellation fees. The rest have been hot air press conferences who declare that Phoenix is now not being considered as a destination...that's not the same thing.

My BIL works in the tourism industry and is with a company who does the logistics for major conventions that come to Phoenix. He'd be the first to feel any affects from the boycott and I just spoke with him last night and he said they've had a few phone calls but no cancellations and the number of conferences always goes down in the summer anyway because it's a FRIGGING FURNACE there in the summer! But, they are currently working with a company for a conference that has booked 240 rooms at the Phoenician Resort and they are coming in September, as planned.

Phoenix's appeal has always been that while the rest of the country is blanketed in snow, you can send your employees to a conference in Phoenix where they can wear shorts in January and enjoy a round of golf after laying out at the pool. That's not going to change and that's where Phoenix's tourism industry makes their money...bankers, IT workers, salespeople, medical personnel...they're not going to give a flying crap about SB 1070...they want a fun place to go on vacation in January. The Hispanic Caucus or the NAACP wasn't likely going to choose Phoenix anyway so declaring that they are boycotting is disengenuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 PM

65 posts, read 177,365 times
You took a piece of an article and made it seem like our state is renigging(renigging? lol) on what we've done. You could not be any more far from reality. This article says nothing about the state of AZ, it's one industry that loss business due to the boycotts. It's funny though everyone loved coming to Phoenix when we were the 1# kidnapping city in the country....Gotta Love em.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:21 PM

4,270 posts, read 7,885,000 times
They should have said up-front: We don't send people to Arizona, but we will boycott out of symbolism, and we will also boycott so we will not, under any circumstances, send anyone to Arizona for this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Here in Denver, the Denver Public School District held a press conference to declare that they were boycotting Arizona and weren't going to be sending any teachers or staff down there in order to send a "message." After a few softball questions, a reporter asked the Superintendent how many people they normally send to Arizona every year. He couldn't answer the question so the reporter did a follow up investigation. Turns out, they NEVER send anyone to Arizona...they hold all of their conferences in Las Vegas and have for many years.

I suppose the point was that IF they were, in the unlikeliest of circumstances, going to move their conference location out of Las Vegas, they definitely wouldn't be coming to Arizona.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:

It also explains why DPS is one of the worst-performing school districts in our state who was just boasting that they finally broke the 50% graduation rate.

The point is that there is a difference between "Hello, I'm calling to cancel the 150 rooms we booked for our conference next month" versus "Well, we were considering Phoenix as a potential contender for a conference in 2012 but we aren't now". Phoenix is not "losing millions of dollars" as those who think the boycott is actually working like to boast. The only official cancellation of a conference was a Hispanic Legal group who cancelled and had to pay $91K in cancellation fees. The rest have been hot air press conferences who declare that Phoenix is now not being considered as a destination...that's not the same thing.

My BIL works in the tourism industry and is with a company who does the logistics for major conventions that come to Phoenix. He'd be the first to feel any affects from the boycott and I just spoke with him last night and he said they've had a few phone calls but no cancellations and the number of conferences always goes down in the summer anyway because it's a FRIGGING FURNACE there in the summer! But, they are currently working with a company for a conference that has booked 240 rooms at the Phoenician Resort and they are coming in September, as planned.

Phoenix's appeal has always been that while the rest of the country is blanketed in snow, you can send your employees to a conference in Phoenix where they can wear shorts in January and enjoy a round of golf after laying out at the pool. That's not going to change and that's where Phoenix's tourism industry makes their money...bankers, IT workers, salespeople, medical personnel...they're not going to give a flying crap about SB 1070...they want a fun place to go on vacation in January. The Hispanic Caucus or the NAACP wasn't likely going to choose Phoenix anyway so declaring that they are boycotting is disengenuous.
When I lived in Denver in 1980 there were hardly any Illegals. Fast forward to 2004 and a trip to Aurora reservoir and we were surrounded by Spanish speakers. Same with areas over by Colfax and the heart of the City. Some also spoke English, many didn't. I was just stunned how many Illegals Denver had and still does today. This is no longer a border issue. It's a issue of National sovereignty.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 PM

5,903 posts, read 6,352,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
They should have said up-front: We don't send people to Arizona, but we will boycott out of symbolism, and we will also boycott so we will not, under any circumstances, send anyone to Arizona for this work.
Or they should have said we would gladly vote to support a boycott that could cause employees in Arizona, mostly service industry, lose their jobs, homes, income to feed their family, over a politics.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
When I lived in Denver in 1980 there were hardly any Illegals. Fast forward to 2004 and a trip to Aurora reservoir and we were surrounded by Spanish speakers. Same with areas over by Colfax and the heart of the City. Some also spoke English, many didn't. I was just stunned how many Illegals Denver had and still does today. This is no longer a border issue. It's a issue of National sovereignty.
Well, I don't want to split hairs but there IS a difference between an illegal immigrant and someone who speaks Spanish. There are plenty of LEGAL immigrants who are learning English or are just more comfortable speaking Spanish to their friends and relatives but aren't necessarily here illegally. My husband's family is Mexican-American and while many of them speak English very well, when they are in a group, they just rattle off in Spanish because it's easier than constantly trying to translate in their head. All of them speak English well (except his grandmother who is stubbornly holding out) and their kids now barely speak Spanish, but they aren't, nor have they ever been, illegal immigrants.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:46 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Well, I don't want to split hairs but there IS a difference between an illegal immigrant and someone who speaks Spanish. There are plenty of LEGAL immigrants who are learning English or are just more comfortable speaking Spanish to their friends and relatives but aren't necessarily here illegally. My husband's family is Mexican-American and while many of them speak English very well, when they are in a group, they just rattle off in Spanish because it's easier than constantly trying to translate in their head. All of them speak English well (except his grandmother who is stubbornly holding out) and their kids now barely speak Spanish, but they aren't, nor have they ever been, illegal immigrants.
That is true. Not everyone speaking Spanish is an illegal alien, not even close. But when someone is a citizen of this country why not speak English out in public? If your husband's relatives speak English very well then what would be so difficult to go from Spanish to English in conversation? I think it is really a non-assimilation factor. Yes, they learn English out of necessity but otherwise they choose their native language whenever possible. I have found this to be predominant among Latinos in this country. It is like they are being defiant of our language or at least that is the impression I get.

No need to lecture me about freedom of speech either. To me it is just plain rude and not showing respect for the language of this country to not speak English in public when you know how to. The more you use a language the more adept you become at it.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:47 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about Americans that speak Spanish, though the chicken/egg thing comes to mind and many people here, wouldn't be if their Parents hadn't snuck in.

Part of becoming a legal Citizen is speaking English. If you ask someone something and they cannot respond in English, I'm going to bet that they are here illegally. We can pretend and beat around the bush all we want but if there is a large gathering of people, that mostly don't speak English, we can probably wager correctly most are here illegally.

We didn't allow legal immigration on the level we see Hispanics in Denver now, not even close. It is a huge concentration of Illegals. Ever been to the North side of Greeley, CO lately? You will think you are in TJ.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:58 AM

358 posts, read 332,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That is true. Not everyone speaking Spanish is an illegal alien, not even close. But when someone is a citizen of this country why not speak English out in public? If your husband's relatives speak English very well then what would be so difficult to go from Spanish to English in conversation? I think it is really a non-assimilation factor. Yes, they learn English out of necessity but otherwise they choose their native language whenever possible. I have found this to be predominant among Latinos in this country. It is like they are being defiant of our language or at least that is the impression I get.

No need to lecture me about freedom of speech either. To me it is just plain rude and not showing respect for the language of this country to not speak English in public when you know how to. The more you use a language the more adept you become at it.
Well said, and just so you know approx. 25% of fourth generation Hispanic's still talk with an accent, and only 8% identify themselves as being just American. Generations of Exclusion: Mexican Americans, Assimilation, and Race Telles and Ortiz, 2008.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm not talking about Americans that speak Spanish, though the chicken/egg thing comes to mind and many people here, wouldn't be if their Parents hadn't snuck in.

Part of becoming a legal Citizen is speaking English. If you ask someone something and they cannot respond in English, I'm going to bet that they are here illegally. We can pretend and beat around the bush all we want but if there is a large gathering of people, that mostly don't speak English, we can probably wager correctly most are here illegally.

We didn't allow legal immigration on the level we see Hispanics in Denver now, not even close. It is a huge concentration of Illegals. Ever been to the North side of Greeley, CO lately? You will think you are in TJ.
You're right, but in the case of my in-laws: They have been landowners for generations...before Arizona was even a state. When Arizona became a state, they were asked if they wanted to be made American citizens. They said yes. At least in my experience, not many people are native to Arizona...so it's kind of cool to see photos of my husband's great great grandmother and grandfather sitting on their land that one day was Mexico and the next was Arizona. I appreciate that they've got great stories of Indian raids, cowboy shootouts, the Mexican Army trying to kidnap my husband's great-great aunt (!), etc, that have been passed down from one generation to another and is a real point of pride with them.

My own family's history goes back to the American Revolution so we joke that between my husband and I, the entire United States history is covered for our kids.

Last edited by the3Ds; 06-05-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration