U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 03:39 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,497,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But when someone is a citizen of this country why not speak English out in public? If your husband's relatives speak English very well then what would be so difficult to go from Spanish to English in conversation? I think it is really a non-assimilation factor.

No need to lecture me about freedom of speech either. To me it is just plain rude and not showing respect for the language of this country to not speak English in public when you know how to. The more you use a language the more adept you become at it.
It's not really something I think is worth lecturing about because I grew up in Seattle and while there aren't a lot of Hispanics who live there, there are tons of immigrants (legal and illegal) from Asia who all speak in their native tongue too. You can go to Chinatown in San Francisco and meet people who have lived in SF for 20+ years and still don't speak English. Same for places in Minnesota where there are German-speaking holdouts.

My husband's family all speaks English 99% of the time. I didn't even know my father in law spoke Spanish until he was talking to another relative of theirs. None of my husband's sisters or brothers have an accent...they barely look Hispanic. My husband grew up speaking both languages though after not being around his family for a while, he gets rusty. All of my nephews and nieces speak English and don't know many words in Spanish...they don't identify with the Mexican culture other than Tex-Mex food and meeting a few relatives who speak broken English. Before my husband's grandmother died, she didn't speak English. She was mad that her family brought her to Arizona from Mexico because her health was failing and she needed care. Everyone said she didn't speak English but every once in a while, we would all be speaking English and someone would say something funny and she would laugh before catching herself, so I know that she did.

I do agree, though...with people refusing to assimilate. I think it's harder for people to learn English when so many cities have areas where you can't even find a sign in English. There are parts of Denver that you would have no idea you weren't in Mexico and I think that merely adds to the problem. My father-in-law is very well educated...he was a college professor for more than 30 years before retiring and he always told his entire family...those who were American citizens for a long time and those who were new...that you've got to learn English and you've got to get an education. He didn't have much patience for his mother-in-law and always said "English!" when people would speak in Spanish. That being said, he has an avid interest in the Mexican culture and is appreciative of it, but I never heard any of my relatives call themselves Mexican American....that's just what I referred to them as on this thread. They all are American or Arizonan.

The reality is that if you don't learn English, you won't succeed in America and all of the so-called "helpful" groups who fight for every sign to be printed in 50 different languages are not helping them...they're hurting them. We live in a fairly diverse area full of people from all different cultures and the one thing they all have in common is that they all speak English very well. The area that we live in is middle-to-upper income and has very good schools and I don't think that the fact that many of those immigrant families speak English fluently or nearly fluently is a coincidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 08:23 PM

100 posts, read 202,723 times
Buycottarizona.com is coming to the aid of Arizona!!

Arizonans are very courageous!!

I wil be bring a family reunion of 167 people to Phoenix and Northern Arizona from July 20 to the 30th!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:29 PM

2,086 posts, read 2,103,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Here is an alert issued by a pro-Arizona law organization concerned about how the boycott is hurting Arizona:

"The loss of business is critical in a recession-battered state vitally dependent on visitor spending...

The backlash against Arizona couldn't come at a worse time, convention and business leaders say.

The state, which took in $18.5 billion in visitor spending in 2008, has seen its tourism industry struggle in the past couple of years as the U.S. economy sagged...

Officials were just starting to see signs of life when the backlash over the new immigration law began, said Debbie Johnson, CEO of the Arizona Tourism Alliance and the Arizona Hotel and Lodging Association.

To date, dozens of cities and groups have announced boycotts. Arizona has lost at least 30 to 40 meetings and conventions, she said.

"We were surprised by (the boycotts)," Johnson said. "We didn't think it was going to be a tourism issue. This is a political issue."

http://standwitharizona.standwitharizona.org/3464/
I guess I should go to AZ a few more times this year to support them, then!

Old 06-06-2010, 08:02 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,752,909 times
So what's taking it's toll on California? It sure doesn't seem to be making great economic improvements.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 AM

42,272 posts, read 49,833,895 times
Going to AZ, then...to help out the peeps.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,564,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So what's taking it's toll on California? It sure doesn't seem to be making great economic improvements.
Liberals , that's what .

Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 AM

2,212 posts, read 4,497,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
California is victim to bloated government programs. unions, overregulation and one of the best (overpriced) retirement systems for government employees. There is no way for them to "tax their way out of it" so basically they're scr$wed.

BTW, NONE of these conventions are heading to California. Most of them are going to Vegas which has reported an uptick in their convention calls.

The hotel taxes are too high in California for a large convention to head there. What does it say about what California is doing that an out-of-state convention would rather relocate to what is essentially an armpit of the US (Vegas) rather than go to a place on the water with nice beaches and fun things to do? There is no reason that California should be in the mess it's in...it's a state full of beauty, mostly decent weather and natural resources yet they are about to totally fail as a state.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 AM

4,383 posts, read 8,689,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Just a reminder... how much money does Arizona spend on illegal immigrants every year?? low estimate is 2 billion, high 3.5 billion. I love these "the sky is falling" threads.. Hey Sur- you added Boston to the list of cities boycotting right? problem is... well Mass. has now passed a tough immigration bill... so is Boston going to boycott the state?? I love how you take a minority of cities boycotting (I have posted for you the responses of readers in the L.A. Times showing over 90% disagree with the AZ boycott) and you try and turn it into this "huge deal". Ahhh... when will you ever learn? tell the whole story, lopsided truths do you no justice. Hey.. I was trying to be your friend- still not on my friends list
You have no idea what your talking about as usual. Boston has not passed a law allowing for racial profiling of Hispanics, or make it a requirement for citizens to prove their citizenship status at any time for any reason.

Last edited by jdm2008; 06-06-2010 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 10:18 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,693,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You have no idea what your talking about as usual. Boston has not passed a law allowing for racial profiling of Hispanic, or make it a requirement for citizens to prove their citizenship status at any time for any reason.
Yet another person who has obviously NOT read the bill pontificating about its supposed contents.

I love the smell of ignorance in the summertime.....

Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 AM

358 posts, read 332,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You have no idea what your talking about as usual. Boston has not passed a law allowing for racial profiling of Hispanic, or make it a requirement for citizens to prove their citizenship status at any time for any reason.
LOL!!!! wow is that what you got from my statement? really? "Boston has not passed a law allowing for racial profiling of Hispanic, or make it a requirement for citizens to prove their citizenship status at any time for any reason" Not only are you ignorant on the AZ law, but to top it off I never said Boston passed any such law. I was pointing out that Boston is boycotting AZ over SB1070, and their STATE currently passed tough new immigration law, so I was asking if THE CITY OF BOSTON was going to boycott their own STATE. The only people on here that have no clue are the ones that have no idea what the language of the bill is, and cannot even read a simple statement without getting something completely different out of it. Sorry... nice try. -Oh, forgot to add something here. Who do you think will be impacted most by the Mass. bill? Whites? Blacks? Asians? nooo.. Hispanics will be hit hardest. Seeing as how SB 1070 does not allow police to run around "profiling" or targeting people "getting ice cream with their kids" it sounds to me like the only issue with these bills is the fact that Latinos will be the main target.. making the bills RACIST! so the Mass. bill should be just as bad as SB 1070.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration