U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:56 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiwowie View Post
I'm referring to the nerve, audacity, and unmitigated gall of some that express a desire to militarize our borders and shoot to kill those crossing unarmed and defenseless. Also, those that would withhold humanitarian aid when they suspect one is an undocumented migrant, effectively choosing death for those individuals. To me that is beyond the pale, immoral, and unethical. I find it disgusting and far worse than someone crossing a border in terms of societal problems.

I'm a proud liberal/progressive. I do not care if "many liberals" or no liberals support SB 1070. The media is not liberal. It is corporate and supports corporate interests. I am an independent thinker and make up my own mind. In contrast, I see many on both sides that parrot talking points.
I see nothing wrong with militarizing our borders. As for shoot to kill, a person is warned first and only shot if they don't stop. An unarmed person wouldn't be stupid enough to continue moving forward. It isn't only those looking for work coming here. There are criminals and terrorists entering also.

I don't know of anyone who would withold humanitarian aid to an illegal. If they are in a life threatening situation or in need of water by all means administer aid.

Most of the media has always supported liberal, progressive views. Are you kidding me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,302,107 times
Over 40 -
against illegal immigration.
Against amnesty.
Against automatic US citizenship of those born of illegal parents.

For - guest worker visas with clear law stating any kids you have while here are not US citizens
But, Americans need the jobs first

Old 06-03-2010, 01:28 PM

349 posts, read 393,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I see nothing wrong with militarizing our borders. As for shoot to kill, a person is warned first and only shot if they don't stop. An unarmed person wouldn't be stupid enough to continue moving forward. It isn't only those looking for work coming here. There are criminals and terrorists entering also.

I don't know of anyone who would withold humanitarian aid to an illegal. If they are in a life threatening situation or in need of water by all means administer aid.

Most of the media has always supported liberal, progressive views. Are you kidding me?
You need to read more posts here then.

It's a lie that media has always supported progressive views. Look at coverage for Iraq as an example. The MSM is mostly useless. They play the part of recorder for opposing viewpoints and do little fact-checking on those positions.

It's a right-wing myth because they would rather people only listen to the echo chamber.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:37 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,145,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Over 40 -
against illegal immigration.
Against amnesty.
Against automatic US citizenship of those born of illegal parents.

For - guest worker visas with clear law stating any kids you have while here are not US citizens
But, Americans need the jobs first
over 40 and I agree with the above statment too. The section I have in bold is a good point to make. I feel if you are in the United States of America in a legal manner and you have a baby on US soil then that child would be privy to citizenship, but not for ILLEGAL babies.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,658,155 times
Over 40

Against illegal immigration

I once had compassion for illegal immigrants who come here from impoverished conditions. I thought it was a good thing they worked hard and sent money home to support their familes. But it is the pro illegal marches and their blatent dishonesty that have turned me against illegal immigration. To accuse those oppossed to illegal immigration as being mean spirited and racist. To make illegals as victims and on the same footing as people who come here the legal way. To use extortion as a means to gain citizenship without the slightest once of guilt. And to celebrate our nations demographics being changed drastically even though it is being accomplished via mass illegal immigration and 3rd world birth rates.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,112,272 times
Over 40.

Against illegal immigration.

Believe "anchor babies" are natural born American citizens.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:31 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
You need to read more posts here then.

It's a lie that media has always supported progressive views. Look at coverage for Iraq as an example. The MSM is mostly useless. They play the part of recorder for opposing viewpoints and do little fact-checking on those positions.

It's a right-wing myth because they would rather people only listen to the echo chamber.
and you need to read more, almost all media supports liberalism.

NIta

Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,145,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
I am curious about something, as most posters on this particular forum are definitely "anti" illegal (alien) immigration (you know where I stand on the issue), would you all mind telling me if you are under or over 40 years of age?

Not a scientific poll or anything, just wondering if most people who feel very strongly about this illegal immigration topic are more from one particular generation or if it tends to be equally divided among all age groups.

Thanks.

Ya know the really funny thing about Arizona's new law?
Its being protested by illegal immigrants who don't follow the original law for legal immigration in the first place . So why would they be so pissed off about a law they don't abide by anyway?
This is just as stupid as a crook getting mad because local police officers can arrest them for robbing a bank! Use your head folks, its not just for wearing hats!!

Old 06-03-2010, 03:22 PM

3,717 posts, read 4,494,215 times
Quote:
I'm referring to the nerve, audacity, and unmitigated gall of some that express a desire to militarize our borders and shoot to kill those crossing unarmed and defenseless. Also, those that would withhold humanitarian aid when they suspect one is an undocumented migrant, effectively choosing death for those individuals. To me that is beyond the pale, immoral, and unethical. I find it disgusting and far worse than someone crossing a border in terms of societal problems.

I'm a proud liberal/progressive. I do not care if "many liberals" or no liberals support SB 1070. The media is not liberal. It is corporate and supports corporate interests. I am an independent thinker and make up my own mind. In contrast, I see many on both sides that parrot talking points.
Feel free to write the check to cover the costs of your
Liberal/Progressive views

it's attitude's like this that make a mockery out of our laws
and the people that gave their lives to make this a free country

Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 PM

17,986 posts, read 17,140,226 times
Over 40. Another liberal who has always been against illegal immigration and for LEGAL immigration.

I remember when "aliens" had to have a card and register once a year. I remember the ads on the radio reminding them to do so. I even knew an idiot who overstayed his student visa and got deported. With just anyone walking into the country you don't know what you're getting--terrorists? killers? drug dealers? carriers of diseases like TB which has been on the increase (I wonder why).

People need to be screened first just as they always were. I am in favor of letting people in if their lives are in absolute danger though -- quick check and get them in here for safety. I'm talking mostly about someone from a country that's at war. I tutored a really nice woman from the Congo in English language a few years ago and I saw nothing wrong with her coming here to seem political asylum. She did it legally too. LEGAL=OKAY and amnesty will not make it okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration