Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Oh please! Is it not possible that people can get nasty responses because they are nasty to begin with? That seems pretty cut and dry to me, or as you put it, plain and simple. I'm frankly tired of some people blaming everything wrong with their lives on some silly notion that it is based solely on others' perception of them because of their race.

What is it with you and absolutes???
I know you treat people fairly, AZLiam but that doesn't mean others don't go out of their way to call me names [ie "beaner"] especially private messages. But I don't complain because racists are fools who must resort to name-calling because they lack in so many other areas.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:12 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdencaulfield View Post
Every article that is presented is screened to make sure the author is Hispanic, and if it is a common response is, "What do you expect" Why does that person's surname or ethnicity matter? As if being Hispanic means you don't have any credibility.
Huh?
Wasn't there a troll in the first Harry Potter book?

Old 06-04-2010, 06:40 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Every article that is presented is screened to make sure the author is Hispanic, and if it is a common response is, "What do you expect" Why does that person's surname or ethnicity matter? As if being Hispanic means you don't have any credibility.
What % of Illegals are hispanic? Who facilitates the illegals after they enter illegally? Who provides shelter, food, and helps them find jobs?
I am pretty sure the Surnames are not Romanoski, or VanGunther, or Obrien.
If the vast Majority were Polish people or German they would be the ones we talked about.
There is nothing racist in pointing out the facts. Hispanics are the vast majority of illegals and these illegals enjoy a great deal of help from other hispanics already here. Legal as well as illegal.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I get nasty comments because I am Latino. It is racism plain and simple.

Really? It's because your a latino and not because people disagree with you and think you're a jerk? Are you sure about that? BTW: I pose that question with regard to both this forum and real life out in the world.
Can I blame evey nasty response I get on my handle?

Old 06-04-2010, 07:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Oh please! Is it not possible that people can get nasty responses because they are nasty to begin with? That seems pretty cut and dry to me, or as you put it, plain and simple. I'm frankly tired of some people blaming everything wrong with their lives on some silly notion that it is based solely on others' perception of them because of their race.

What is it with you and absolutes???

It's their favorite excuse. Many can't stand on their own two feet without that crutch.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What % of Illegals are hispanic? Who facilitates the illegals after they enter illegally? Who provides shelter, food, and helps them find jobs?
If the vast Majority were Polish people or German they would be the ones we talked about.
There is nothing racist in pointing out the facts. Hispanics are the vast majority of illegals and these illegals enjoy a great deal of help from other hispanics already here. Legal as well as illegal.

The Supreme Court, The Federal Government, and State's Legislatures are Hispanic? cool.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:29 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Creole View Post
Most discussions about immigration are bound to attract the Ku Klux Klan faction, I see this in virtually every blog, even newspaper blogs.
As do they attract the Klan with a tan types from the other side of the issue. I have yet to see anyone back up the KKK or to have a KKK mentality just because they want immigration law enforcement. It is the pro-illegal side of this issue that tries to make that connection. Most Americans opposed to illegal immigration do so because it is against the law and for no other reason.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:30 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,317,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I know you treat people fairly, AZLiam but that doesn't mean others don't go out of their way to call me names [ie "beaner"] especially private messages. But I don't complain because racists are fools who must resort to name-calling because they lack in so many other areas.
You mean like the pro-illegals calling us anti's xenophobes and racists? Pot, kettle, black.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:21 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,664,460 times
i think the problem lays in generalizing that to the whole lot. generalizations never work. i liken it to the generalizations i have read here about black folk and crime. they say "well such and such people are incarcerated in high numbers, therefore bla bla bla" thats where the problem is. not necessarily in pointing out facts, but in assuming that this represents the whole of hispanics. i oft said, "blacks are not a monolith" "latinos are not a monlith" a simple last name(or skin pigmentation) does not indicate any political leaning or feeling towards illegals. people here like to present a latino last name, while never mentioning the strong coalitions between blacks and other liberal folk (many white).

it would be better to keep the conversation free of idiotic generalizations(like the ones about "mexican culchur" and "ppl").

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

Old 06-04-2010, 01:39 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Caulfield is Spanish? Who knew.

I didn't kow Illegal was a race, another, who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration