U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
My entire point was that employers are presented with documents.. there are laws to punish employers that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.. that is where the big problem lies, because a lot of employers do not know they are illegal. The can be suspicious but cannot discriminate because someone speaks limited English. We could do like the 30's and not hire anyone that knows Spanish.. make them self deport- but I doubt that will happen.

If I was a legit business I would be using E-verify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,129,335 times
E-verify is not accurate. It can say you are authorized to work when your an illegal and it can say your not authorized to work when you are a born and raised american. So how does that help?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
E-verify is not accurate. It can say you are authorized to work when your an illegal and it can say your not authorized to work when you are a born and raised american. So how does that help?
How does doing nothing help?

It cuts the amount of illegal workers getting through to a trickle. I'll take a trickle over a flood any day. I've yet to see any of the workers turned back at my office sue or make a claim that E-verify was wrong. They were working with Illegal documents and told to scram once they were busted.

It's just another ploy for the dirt bag employers to continue with their greedy, underhanded ways.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
It is over 95% accurate, and discrepancies can be easily resolved. Legal workers will have irrefutable evidence of their eligibility to work in this country. Conversely, an illegal won’t. If not for its accuracy, pro-illegals wouldn’t be such staunch opponents.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:17 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,054,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How does doing nothing help?

It cuts the amount of illegal workers getting through to a trickle. I'll take a trickle over a flood any day. I've yet to see any of the workers turned back at my office sue or make a claim that E-verify was wrong. They were working with Illegal documents and told to scram once they were busted.

It's just another ploy for the dirt bag employers to continue with their greedy, underhanded ways.
I'm not even sure they could sue, could they? If adverse information comes back for someone after doing a background check, it is up to the individual to contact the background check company to resolve any inaccuracies. This happened to me recently when someone else's felonies showed up on my background check because I have the same name. The company I was applying to only asked the background check company to check information on me based solely on my name (which is very common) and my birthdate. When the company told me that I didn't pass the background check, I had to contact the background check company for them to send me a copy so that I could dispute the information.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I'm not even sure they could sue, could they? If adverse information comes back for someone after doing a background check, it is up to the individual to contact the background check company to resolve any inaccuracies. This happened to me recently when someone else's felonies showed up on my background check because I have the same name. The company I was applying to only asked the background check company to check information on me based solely on my name (which is very common) and my birthdate. When the company told me that I didn't pass the background check, I had to contact the background check company for them to send me a copy so that I could dispute the information.
HMmm
You are probably right, as I've said we never had any bad matches ever turn up as an American legal to work. They were all Illegals that got busted. As far as I am concerned it works beautifully.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:34 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Quote:
I just do not understand. If these employers are not doing their due diligence in verifying this information on EVERY potential employee, then they are knowingly ignoring the fact that there is a percentage that may potentially be illegal. How is this discriminatory if they do verify for every employee?
Instructions to Federal Form I-9
The Immigration Act of 1990:New Anti-Discrimination Provisions
states:
"For the purpose of satisfying the employment eligibility verification requirements, an employer cannot request that an employee present more or different documents than are required. Also, an employer cannot refuse to honor documents which on their face reasonably appear to be genuine and relate to the person presenting them."

Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM

8,244 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Exactly. It comes down to money. They even get the legal immigrants to work for less simply because they are willing to. They don't have as many bills as the average American who is even happy with minimum.

There are loopholes for the companies. Someone gives them papers and they are not required to see if everything is on the up and up. So even if someone is caught, the company says they had papers, not my fault.

Until companies and employers stop hiring them they will keep coming. And as long as companies make money, they will hire them.

A no win situation for the rest of us.
Yes they ARE "required to see if everything is on the up and up". Somebody can give them all the paperwork they require but it's up to the employer to run them through the system...E-verify...to make sure it is legal paperwork. They aren't supposed to just take someone's word for it. It's been the law in AZ for over two years now so if the employer is busted with illegal workers he has no leg to stand on if he didn't do what was required of HIM.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Thank you. I do understand all of this, but what I don't understand is why a company would put themselves at risk for being sued by not doing their due diligence. It's like a ticking time bomb.
Because I think employers are pretty confident that they won't have anyone coming around checking on them. You live in AZ, how many busts have you heard of in the past couple of years since the employer sanction law went into affect? There are way too many businesses and not enough bodies to stay on top of it, for one thing. Just think of how many jobs could be created if they really wanted to do a crackdown. I'd be first in line to apply!

Old 06-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desli View Post
Most likely because they KNOW the authorities aren't going to do a darn thing about it.

I believe that restaurants are one of the most blatant industries to hire illegals and they do it for profit, no doubt.

In our area, if you eat out, you are, indirectly, supporting illegals. We used to - not anymore. Wouldn't everyone agree that if a person is hispanic and can speak NO English, it's pretty much a fact that he or she is here illegally? We've had managers of restaurants tells us flat out that no one in the kitchen could speak English and that would be their "excuse" as to why orders were wrong.

I've never understood why ICE wouldn't sweep these places . . . cleaning out the restaurants alone would guarantee deportation of MILLIONS of illegals.
I agree with your first sentence. The rest, not so much. Having worked in restaurants in AZ for about 30 years, yes, I have worked with illegals. But I've worked with many more legal, or American born, Hispanics than illegals. However, any manager who uses the excuse that an order is "wrong" because the cooks "don't speak English" is lying and making excuses. Cooks HAVE to be able to read/speak English and I've never worked with one who couldn't. Dishwashers and prep cooks not so much but there are always Spanish speaking people in restaurants to give instruction. And most of those workers speak English as well, if not AS well, sometimes.

ICE doesn't do "sweeps" because there aren't enough bodies to hit ALL the restuarants in the state. It's impossible and employers know that. Although it HAS happened in my area a few times. There aren't "millions" of illegals working in restaurants, resorts and hotels in AZ. Maybe, but not likely, across the country but they work in a myriad of other businesses as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration