Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
What Iceman is saying and everyone else is refusing to understand is that E-verify checks the information you provide with a database that says the person is or isn't legally allowed to work. It does not say that the person standing n front of you is the person who information you entered in the database.

I know everyone doe not have a proiblem with their identity being checked but wait until for no fault of your own, one day someone uses your identity and end up on that list. You go for a job and they dont hire you. They have to tell you and give you a chance to correct it, but most employers just move on to the next person because telling you your on E-Verify's hit list requires a lot of paperwork and stuff. Just pass you by. Even if they do tell you, employers are not required to accept anything you say as proof. You show your DL, SS card, passport and they can just tell you sorry, until your off the list, no can work here. How do they know the documents you show them are real or forged.

The reason so few employers are even held to blame is they use E-Verify and it said the person is alright to work and that ends the employers role unless someone can prove they knew the person was not supposed to be working. It is not illegal to employ an illegal, it's only illegal to employ one if you know or should have known they were illegal. Once E-Verify said they are O.K., the employer is off the hook.

FYI, E-verify is not 95% accurate, it's only about 50% accurate. The 95% some quote means only 5% of the time when a identification was entered did it give a false result that was not suported by the database. But it does not mean that 95% of the time the information in the database was accurate. If you are legal to work but the database said your illegal, it is not an inaccurate result to say your illegal because that's whats in the system It's only inaccurate if the database said your legal to work but tells the employer your not allowed to work.
Of course E-verify is not 95% accurate. However, when an employer chooses to use a company to do background checks, they have an option of what criteria they want to be checked. For example, a company I applied to recently had another company do a background check on me. What I found out during the process is that felonies showed up on my background check. I have never had a felony, but I have a common name. I did some investigation. The background check company told me that the company who requested my background check only asked them to do a very basic check based on my full name and birthdate. They had the option of also using my social security information, driver's license, education, etc...When I confronted the potential employer, they flat out lied to me three times, stating that they requested information using my SS#, education, and driver's license. The potential employee doesn't have a contract with the background check company to pull those types of reports. When I contacted the courts in Oregon to find out what these "supposed felonies" were that were showing up on my background check, I received the driver's license number, SS#, address, phone number, etc of this other individual with the same name as mine. It was all public record.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 08:12 PM

358 posts, read 395,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Of course E-verify is not 95% accurate. However, when an employer chooses to use a company to do background checks, they have an option of what criteria they want to be checked. For example, a company I applied to recently had another company do a background check on me. What I found out during the process is that felonies showed up on my background check. I have never had a felony, but I have a common name. I did some investigation. The background check company told me that the company who requested my background check only asked them to do a very basic check based on my full name and birthdate. They had the option of also using my social security information, driver's license, education, etc...When I confronted the potential employer, they flat out lied to me three times, stating that they requested information using my SS#, education, and driver's license. The potential employee doesn't have a contract with the background check company to pull those types of reports. When I contacted the courts in Oregon to find out what these "supposed felonies" were that were showing up on my background check, I received the driver's license number, SS#, address, phone number, etc of this other individual with the same name as mine. It was all public record.
Ok. So I go down to get a job.. Use my little brother's identity to be hired (I'm "illegal") and they do a background check.. yes, you are John Smith, yes the SSN and DL number match.. good to go. Am I John Smith?? does that make it easier? imagine how illegal immigrants are able to use the same type of ID's- would E-Verify work? no... it would verify the person you are presenting yourself as. Does that make more sense? without like... DNA or fingerprints it's very very easy to work the system. That is my bottom line on the issue.. it's up to the Fed's to deal with this.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:50 AM

53 posts, read 29,022 times
How bad did you do in the job interview for an undocumented immigrant to get the job over you? An employer is taking a risk by hiring someone without papers over you. Someone who probably can't speak, read, or write English. The employer is basically saying "You are unemployable, I'll take my chances with fines over hiring you" Either you have no skills or are perceived to be lazy and irresponsible. Unless you are a teenager with few skills and work experience, I don't see how an immigrant with no papers who doesn't speak the language can get picked over you. You have bigger problems than immigrants buddy.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:32 AM

358 posts, read 395,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Creole View Post
How bad did you do in the job interview for an undocumented immigrant to get the job over you? An employer is taking a risk by hiring someone without papers over you. Someone who probably can't speak, read, or write English. The employer is basically saying "You are unemployable, I'll take my chances with fines over hiring you" Either you have no skills or are perceived to be lazy and irresponsible. Unless you are a teenager with few skills and work experience, I don't see how an immigrant with no papers who doesn't speak the language can get picked over you. You have bigger problems than immigrants buddy.
Lol.. I am not illegal and was only trying to make a point, if you read my above posts you would understand. You come out to Southern California and see the extreme competition between illegal immigrants for menial jobs.. mowing laws, working fast food, cleaning hotel rooms, working in auto body shops, selling goods at the swap meets and street corners, etc. It's not that Americans will not do these jobs... there is way to much competition from unskilled workers willing to take that menial job at rock bottom wages. It's a simple supply and demand issue.. more supply than demand drives wages down, not enough supply for the demand drives wages up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration