U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2010, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times
Reputation: 3973

Advertisements

First of all, I wouldn't trust any employee who lied to get into this country illegally. What makes an employer believe an illegal wouldn't lie to them?

In addition, why would an employer put themselves at risk for potential lawsuits by not doing their due diligence in checking out the backgrounds for all employees? Companies have been sued and gone under for hiring people who have stalked, killed, or sexually harassed other employees all because they didn't do the proper background checks in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Wichita,Kansas
2,731 posts, read 5,935,503 times
Reputation: 1328
They are greedy.Put a dollar above doing whats right for the country.
If they can get someone to work really hard for much less they will do it.
I have seen many immigrants work hard(i dont know their legal status)for not much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
 
Location: east of my daughter-north of my son
1,928 posts, read 3,109,579 times
Reputation: 885
Exactly. It comes down to money. They even get the legal immigrants to work for less simply because they are willing to. They don't have as many bills as the average American who is even happy with minimum.

There are loopholes for the companies. Someone gives them papers and they are not required to see if everything is on the up and up. So even if someone is caught, the company says they had papers, not my fault.

Until companies and employers stop hiring them they will keep coming. And as long as companies make money, they will hire them.

A no win situation for the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times
Reputation: 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
Exactly. It comes down to money. They even get the legal immigrants to work for less simply because they are willing to. They don't have as many bills as the average American who is even happy with minimum.

There are loopholes for the companies. Someone gives them papers and they are not required to see if everything is on the up and up. So even if someone is caught, the company says they had papers, not my fault.

Until companies and employers stop hiring them they will keep coming. And as long as companies make money, they will hire them.

A no win situation for the rest of us.
Thank you. I do understand all of this, but what I don't understand is why a company would put themselves at risk for being sued by not doing their due diligence. It's like a ticking time bomb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 AM
 
358 posts, read 332,608 times
Reputation: 107
Because they are presented with valid documents. Could you imagine if an employer "profiled" someone and determined they might not be a citizen even though the documentation is there? what if that person is here legally and finds out?? thats a really nice lotto ticket. You have to understand that illegal immigrants can use fake SSN's, DL's etc. with matching name/numbers. They can acquire these from relatives in the U.S. that are citizens, or buy them for a couple hundred dollars from the local swap meet. You also have to keep in mind that the labor pool for low skilled workers is very diluted in border states, with the majority of people competing being of South American descent. As an employer I would hire Hispanic's for tec. positions not because I think their work is superior- but because thats all there is to hire. You have to also keep in mind the ENORMOUS amount of births in Mexico for the majority of this last century.. on average each Mexican woman gave birth to 7 children. This is a lot of jobs needed.. far exceeding economic growth. Take the fast growing population.. and the crash of the peso several times over the last few decades and you have a recipe for disaster (not to mention the corrupt government of Mexico). There is a lot of different aspects to this entire issue.. I feel the employer holds only a small amount of the blame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: TEXAS
378 posts, read 356,901 times
Reputation: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Thank you. I do understand all of this, but what I don't understand is why a company would put themselves at risk for being sued by not doing their due diligence. It's like a ticking time bomb.
Most likely because they KNOW the authorities aren't going to do a darn thing about it.


I believe that restaurants are one of the most blatant industries to hire illegals and they do it for profit, no doubt.

In our area, if you eat out, you are, indirectly, supporting illegals. We used to - not anymore. Wouldn't everyone agree that if a person is hispanic and can speak NO English, it's pretty much a fact that he or she is here illegally? We've had managers of restaurants tells us flat out that no one in the kitchen could speak English and that would be their "excuse" as to why orders were wrong.



I've never understood why ICE wouldn't sweep these places . . . cleaning out the restaurants alone would guarantee deportation of MILLIONS of illegals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
Because they are presented with valid documents. Could you imagine if an employer "profiled" someone and determined they might not be a citizen even though the documentation is there? what if that person is here legally and finds out?? thats a really nice lotto ticket. You have to understand that illegal immigrants can use fake SSN's, DL's etc. with matching name/numbers. They can acquire these from relatives in the U.S. that are citizens, or buy them for a couple hundred dollars from the local swap meet. You also have to keep in mind that the labor pool for low skilled workers is very diluted in border states, with the majority of people competing being of South American descent. As an employer I would hire Hispanic's for tec. positions not because I think their work is superior- but because thats all there is to hire. You have to also keep in mind the ENORMOUS amount of births in Mexico for the majority of this last century.. on average each Mexican woman gave birth to 7 children. This is a lot of jobs needed.. far exceeding economic growth. Take the fast growing population.. and the crash of the peso several times over the last few decades and you have a recipe for disaster (not to mention the corrupt government of Mexico). There is a lot of different aspects to this entire issue.. I feel the employer holds only a small amount of the blame.
It is true that “some” employers don’t realize they have hired illegals. However, many do in fact knowingly hire illegals simply because they know, if caught, our government will in most cases slap them on the wrist. Our laws aren’t being enforced, period. The employers know it, as well as illegals. We could end illegal immigration today if every state enforced the current federal immigration laws. If illegal employers knew they would face a lengthy prison sentence, multi-million dollar fines, and forfeiture of assets, illegal immigration would not be an issue. Remove the jobs and freebies and watch illegals leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
 
358 posts, read 332,608 times
Reputation: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It is true that “some” employers don’t realize they have hired illegals. However, many do in fact knowingly hire illegals simply because they know, if caught, our government will in most cases slap them on the wrist. Our laws aren’t being enforced, period. The employers know it, as well as illegals. We could end illegal immigration today if every state enforced the current federal immigration laws. If illegal employers knew they would face a lengthy prison sentence, multi-million dollar fines, and forfeiture of assets, illegal immigration would not be an issue. Remove the jobs and freebies and watch illegals leave.
My entire point was that employers are presented with documents.. there are laws to punish employers that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.. that is where the big problem lies, because a lot of employers do not know they are illegal. The can be suspicious but cannot discriminate because someone speaks limited English. We could do like the 30's and not hire anyone that knows Spanish.. make them self deport- but I doubt that will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times
Reputation: 3973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
My entire point was that employers are presented with documents.. there are laws to punish employers that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.. that is where the big problem lies, because a lot of employers do not know they are illegal. The can be suspicious but cannot discriminate because someone speaks limited English. We could do like the 30's and not hire anyone that knows Spanish.. make them self deport- but I doubt that will happen.
I just do not understand. If these employers are not doing their due diligence in verifying this information on EVERY potential employee, then they are knowingly ignoring the fact that there is a percentage that may potentially be illegal. How is this discriminatory if they do verify for every employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman82 View Post
My entire point was that employers are presented with documents.. there are laws to punish employers that knowingly hire illegal immigrants.. that is where the big problem lies, because a lot of employers do not know they are illegal. The can be suspicious but cannot discriminate because someone speaks limited English. We could do like the 30's and not hire anyone that knows Spanish.. make them self deport- but I doubt that will happen.
I understand your point. However, the fact is, our laws are not being enforced. This is the primary reason employers who knowingly hire illegals continue to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top