Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:10 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You're not offsetting these costs with the benefits you're getting from the cheaper labor costs they provide us. I'm sure you have non-insured insurance coverage so shouldn't be much of an impact spread out over all the insured. You really shouldn't worry about it unless you have some political agenda you're pushing.
Did you really just go there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
There are plenty of uninsured motorists who are not in this country illegally.

Do you have any statistics that prove that most/more/any number of uninsured drivers are here illegally?

Arizona does not issue driver's licenses to those who cannot prove citizenship/legality and the number of uninsured motorists is also high.

it seems, based on this study, that socioeconomic level plays into the percentages significantly.....

http://www.ircweb.org/news/IRC_UM_012109.pdf
That's not the point of his post and I don't really see where you got that from or why you are trying to "educate" him on the fact that all insured people aren't illegal. The point is that we have a serious number of illegal immigrants and a lot of things that they do AFFECT us SOCIALLY. Those of us who have been living here legally, have a stable life feel pretty pissed that illegal immigrants add to the problems we already have. No, they all do not do things wrong, but if they should not be here in the first place, how can we be OK when illegal immigrants do things that affect us like this.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Many products and services you buy are cheaper because of it. This is rarely factored into the discussion. The reason I said you have a political agenda is your chance of being in an accident with one of them is way more remote than a lot of other dangers and injustices you encounter everyday and yet never advocate about.
We don't want cheap products if it means millions of illegal immigrants will provide the negatives that that are providing. What is it with people that think we should be happy about illegal immigration because of "cheap prices?" Don't you all realize that we want what is best for fellow legal residents and U.S. Citizens? And that means jobs for them that employers will be forced to give fair wages to and a stable economy. Obviously millions of illegal immigrants aren't a magical touch for our economy because look at where it is.

We don't care about the "positives" that illegal immigrants bring.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
There's illegality and then there's enforced illegaliity. The government has tremendous discretion over which laws it enforces. For example, it's just as contrary to Federal law to ride your bike on the George Washington Parkway and yet everyday I pass several people doing it. I've never seen the U.S. Park Police issue a ticket or even stop a single one. It's against Federal law to possess marijuana and yet there are now thousands of shops in many Western states selling it. The government has certain priorities and limited resources. This just isn't high on its list due to the cost/benefit factors I've mentioned above.
Uh, are those "shops" licensed and legally able to sell that marijuana?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The cheaper labor costs they provide US?

What us? You got a rat in your pocket?

I'm not seeing any benefit in cheap labor and as a matter of fact, I saw the wages in the craft I'd trained in since my youth driven down from a median of $15.00 to $20.00 an hour plus benefits to the point that no person attempting to support a family could possibly live on them. I ended up back in school to change careers after twenty plus years working in the sign industry...work I began training for at the age of 10.

Why is this you may ask? Because the vast majority of large sign companies now have illegal alien labor producing and installing signage while farming out the design work to the Philippines at less than half the wages they would pay an American citizen worker. And the quality shows it too.

In yet another example of illegal alien idiocy, I was broadsided by an illegal alien when I was living in Texas. My car was totaled. I was injured and required hospitalization. He had no license, no insurance, and he walked away from the accident. The police didn't even bother to take him to jail. Who bore the brunt of that little escapade?

Me--a single mother, working two jobs to support my children and unable to work for three weeks--not the b*stard who hit me. I had liability insurance--no more. Ironically, he made a claim against my liability insurance even though the accident was his fault. I had to fight to keep him from collecting. In addition, I had NO health insurance. It took me three years to pay off my ER care plus my hospital bill.

Perhaps we should all "not worry about it" and just let anarchy reign supreme....
Damn, right on. Exactly. I've heard your story way too many times to.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:11 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,715,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Political agenda? Because I'm not in favor of illegal immigration?

Just what benefits am *I* getting from whatever cheaper labor costs you mention? The only one that has the advantage is the person who directly hires them, not the average consumer.

The fact that I pay for insurance that includes some protection against the non-insured is entirely beside the point. I shouldn't NEED it.

Your comments are extremely naiive, to say the least. Their cheaper labor costs don't even come close to making up what they cost us otherwise in so many ways.
Forget him, he is from Northern Virginia where everyone thinks illegals are the best thing since sliced bread. I'm celebrating my first month not living there.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
You're not offsetting these costs with the benefits you're getting from the cheaper labor costs they provide us. I'm sure you have non-insured insurance coverage so shouldn't be much of an impact spread out over all the insured. You really shouldn't worry about it unless you have some political agenda you're pushing.
A political agenda of having USA federal laws enforced? Versus the cheap labor agenda?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesWard View Post
I was at the NM dmv just last month to register a vehicle I bought in AZ.
The lady asked me if I wanted to get a drivers license at that time. which I did, but had to produce a SS card which I lost 40 years ago. So Sorry.
Here we go to the SS office.

Aloha, Les
It sounds like they did some racial profiling if they asked YOU for a SS number because the illegals only have to produce their own country's ID. When an illegal shows up for a NM drivers license, the clerks will instruct them to have someone put a utility bill in their name and they will be given a drivers license from that state. That is a well-known fact.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It sounds like they did some racial profiling if they asked YOU for a SS number because the illegals only have to produce their own country's ID. When an illegal shows up for a NM drivers license, the clerks will instruct them to have someone put a utility bill in their name and they will be given a drivers license from that state. That is a well-known fact.
Yup.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:29 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,658 times
States Rights.

If the people of New Mexico want to extend to all persons the privilage of a driver's lincence, then it is their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration