U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM

19,082 posts, read 9,391,489 times

Advertisements

I love it when I hear Mexican teachers and other pro-Mexican people and groups proclaim that illegals are ok to come to the southwest because the land was once theirs. I'd like to remind all the ethnocentric Mexicans and their sympathizers that the US not only acquired the territory from Mexico with the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, it PAID for the territory that it won MILITARILY. We PAID Mexico the equivalent of $380 million in today's dollars for the land our military took, so in effect, we didn't rob the poor Mexicans' land. You can't rob something if you PAID for it.

Text from the Treaty:

The United States paid Mexico $15,000,000 "in consideration of the extension acquired by the boundaries of the United States" (see Article XII of the treaty) and agreed to pay American citizens debts owed to them by the Mexican government (see Article XV). Other provisions included protection of property and civil rights of Mexican nationals living within the new boundaries of the United States (see Articles VIII and IX), the promise of the United States to police its boundaries (see Article XI), and compulsory arbitration of future disputes between the two countries (see Article XXI).

Looks like they can't whine about the evil gringos taking the land they got money for. And funny, the US fails to police the border today, they are in violation of the Treaty

http://www.archives.gov/education/le...alupe-hidalgo/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_...dalupe_Hidalgo

Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM

14,307 posts, read 6,370,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I love it when I hear Mexican teachers and other pro-Mexican people and groups proclaim that illegals are ok to come to the southwest because the land was once theirs. I'd like to remind all the ethnocentric Mexicans and their sympathizers that the US not only acquired the territory from Mexico with the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, it PAID for the territory that it won MILITARILY. We PAID Mexico the equivalent of $380 million in today's dollars for the land our military took, so in effect, we didn't rob the poor Mexicans' land. You can't rob something if you PAID for it.

Text from the Treaty:

The United States paid Mexico $15,000,000 "in consideration of the extension acquired by the boundaries of the United States" (see Article XII of the treaty) and agreed to pay American citizens debts owed to them by the Mexican government (see Article XV). Other provisions included protection of property and civil rights of Mexican nationals living within the new boundaries of the United States (see Articles VIII and IX), the promise of the United States to police its boundaries (see Article XI), and compulsory arbitration of future disputes between the two countries (see Article XXI).

Looks like they can't whine about the evil gringos taking the land they got money for. And funny, the US fails to police the border today, they are in violation of the Treaty

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo

Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh but the reconquistas are still whining. They claim the land was taken at gunpoint. If that were so then why in the hell would the U.S.have given them 15 million for it? They could have just taken it, period. Both the U.S. and Mexico signed the agreement. It is all in the past and a moot point now. The only reason they want the land back now is because the U.S. has turned into something successful while their hell hole called Mexico is not.

Mexico once owned parts of Guatamala also but you don't see the reconquistas clamoring to get in there and reclaim that "stolen" land, do you? War is hell and the spoils go the the winner. They need to deal with it and stop living in the past. If they are fighting to get once owned land back then why are they such cowards to fight with babies rather than bullets?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:18 AM

8,626 posts, read 10,896,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Text from the Treaty:

The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo

Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think this is an awesome reminder for people. Talk about hypocrisy. They sell their rights, but want it back now. Well perhaps they should buy it back then by paying for their citizenship.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM

19,082 posts, read 9,391,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh but the reconquistas are still whining. They claim the land was taken at gunpoint. If that were so then why in the hell would the U.S.have given them 15 million for it? They could have just taken it, period. Both the U.S. and Mexico signed the agreement. It is all in the past and a moot point now. The only reason they want the land back now is because the U.S. has turned into something successful while their hell hole called Mexico is not.

Mexico once owned parts of Guatamala also but you don't see the reconquistas clamoring to get in there and reclaim that "stolen" land, do you? War is hell and the spoils go the the winner. They need to deal with it and stop living in the past. If they are fighting to get once owned land back then why are they such cowards to fight with babies rather than bullets?
Exactly if Mexicans want the land back, they're gonna have to cough up the money for it like we did back then. And yes they are whining for their land back now because we have built thriving (well not so sure about L.A....) cities in what is now OUR lands, that we BOUGHT and PAID for I should remind everyone again, cities on it and we even have farms in Arizona, and farms lining the Central Valley.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM

1,310 posts, read 707,915 times
F'm and feed'm fishheads!

Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 PM

20,897 posts, read 6,599,872 times
There are a handful of things that I do not waste any energy on.

I do not worry about gravity shutting off while I sleep.

I do not worry about being attacked by polar bears while kayaking in La Jolla Cove.

I do not worry about who will win the World Cup.

And I do not worry about Mexico taking back the Southwestern US.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:14 PM

2,732 posts, read 4,328,006 times

[/quote]

Why because they already have?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM

7,413 posts, read 3,481,056 times
Don't you think that it is counter-productive to focus on amnesty? Isn't securing of the border the priority? Once we get a handle on closing the border then we can settle the issue of amnesty. And you can be sure that amnesty will be given so it is a non-issue that only inflames some people into making stupid laws like Arizona has done.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
There are a handful of things that I do not waste any energy on.

I do not worry about gravity shutting off while I sleep.

I do not worry about being attacked by polar bears while kayaking in La Jolla Cove.

I do not worry about who will win the World Cup.

Why, are you of Mexican/Hispanic ancestry yourself?

Old 06-07-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Don't you think that it is counter-productive to focus on amnesty? Isn't securing of the border the priority? Once we get a handle on closing the border then we can settle the issue of amnesty. And you can be sure that amnesty will be given so it is a non-issue that only inflames some people into making stupid laws like Arizona has done.
You would be wrong then. There will be no amnesty/legalization of millions of illegal aliens in our country. Do dream on though. You probably think that Arizona's law is stupid because you are an illegal alien sympathizer. Would I be right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.