U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,179,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
yes it talks about housing also, but, it is also talking about people moving for the betterment of their families and children. Not because of racial prejudiced, such as what white flight was about.
So because they were white, the white flight was automatically a racist move?

Please educate yourself on white flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 05:07 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,460,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
So because they were white, the white flight was automatically a racist move?

Please educate yourself on white flight.

what the hell, educate yourself on reading the english language. I never made a claim that it was because they were white it was racist. If they would of been black or any other ethnic background, if it was being done because they didnt want to live near someone of another race, than yes it would be racist.

Moving from an area and/or sending your kids to a different school system for trying to make a better life and education for your family and children is far different than moving from an area only because there was people of another race moving in around you.

White flight, many whites moved from areas as soon as black families started to move in. The didnt like the fact that a black person would be in their neighborhood.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Of course in order to be PC they are going to say just Hispanics, period. If they really wanted to be honest they would attribute the Hispanic growth to mostly illegal immigration which is what it is really all about.
What reason would they have to be dis-honest in their reporting...dont infer what their meaning was when all can read what they wrote and meant. No spin needed.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
what the hell, educate yourself on reading the english language. I never made a claim that it was because they were white it was racist. If they would of been black or any other ethnic background, if it was being done because they didnt want to live near someone of another race, than yes it would be racist.

Moving from an area and/or sending your kids to a different school system for trying to make a better life and education for your family and children is far different than moving from an area only because there was people of another race moving in around you.

White flight, many whites moved from areas as soon as black families started to move in. The didnt like the fact that a black person would be in their neighborhood.
And just how long ago was that? That is no longer the case unless a neighborhood starts deteriotating due to low income folks moving in.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:21 PM

25,165 posts, read 47,313,389 times
I think native English speakers have a legitimate concern. It isn't just blacks but Latinos who have fluent English skills.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:21 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
What reason would they have to be dis-honest in their reporting...dont infer what their meaning was when all can read what they wrote and meant. No spin needed.
Are you kidding me? PC rules this country nowadays. How many times have we seen the line between legal and illegal blurred? The fact that these Hispanic kids are English learners proves that their parents are most likely here illegally. Hispanic American parents for the most part know how to speak English and teach their kids the language at home before they go to school.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,460,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
And just how long ago was that? That is no longer the case unless a neighborhood starts deteriotating due to low income folks moving in.

I never said it was the case anymore. If you would of read my first post on this thread, you would of seen how the whole thing about white flight got started.

My whole point initially was that this article shows some insight into peoples mentality towards blacks. People well tell blacks that to improve themselves they need to focus on education and making more of an effort to not fall into the stereotypical role. These black people in Dallas are doing exactly that, but, because they are doing what people keep saying they should, they are being accused of black flight.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,784,302 times
One problem is that some of the charter schools some of the blacks are choosing are rated worse than the schools they fled. I can see how that also happened with a lot of the quickly contrived "Christian academies" which sprang up to accomodate white flight.

As for hispanics who speak English and not Spanish, yes that's true, at least in my experience. I had friends who could not speak Spanish who were chided and bullied by the new arrivals and called 'coconuts' etc...

I also know a family where the mother was illegal but the father was a third-generation anglo Texan - their daughter kept getting put in with the new arrivals even though she was way ahead of them so they took her out of the school.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,179,360 times
Quote:
Quote:
yes it talks about housing also, but, it is also talking about people moving for the betterment of their families and children. Not because of racial prejudiced, such as what white flight was about.
YOUR words. You're confirming racial prejudice was done when whites fled after the blacks moved into the neighborhood. By the way, it wasn't always that. Like I said - read up on it.

Quote:

Whatever the reason(s) was/were, they moved. The blacks are moving now. I'm sure the whites didn't want to send their children to the same school the blacks were going to then, for the same reasons today. History is just repeating itself, only with a different skin color this time around.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:30 PM

318 posts, read 333,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
YOUR words. You're confirming racial prejudice was done when whites fled after the blacks moved into the neighborhood. By the way, it wasn't always that. Like I said - read up on it.

Whatever the reason(s) was/were, they moved. The blacks are moving now. I'm sure the whites didn't want to send their children to the same school the blacks were going to then, for the same reasons today. History is just repeating itself, only with a different skin color this time around.
yes, I claimed racial prejudice was done by whites during white flight, but I didnt say that it is because they are white. As you claimed I said. I have read up on it, and I have lived in neighborhoods where white flight was rampant.

For white flight it wasnt for purposes of the education of their children. This article is talking about it being because of education. It is nothing the same, no matter how much you want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or