U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 05:00 PM

33,439 posts, read 15,170,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
The Ďconstant supply of cheap laborí is there but the number of illegal immigrants living in the US has been on the decline since 2007-ish.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewre...e-u-s/%3famp=1

What difference does a decline make when there are 10.7 million illegal aliens still in our country? I'm not getting your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:21 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,386,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What difference does a decline make when there are 10.7 million illegal aliens still in our country? I'm not getting your point.
That was in your response that we have a constant flow of cheap illegal workers....which isnít true given that for years now we have had a net loss of illegal immigrants.

Iíll use a bathtub metaphor. Imagine there is a bathtub which represents the United States, the full point represents the current demand for low-skill labor and the illegal immigration population is water in the bath tub (10.7 million people based on that link I shared). The way I see it the bath tub is currently 3/4 full and is slowly leaking.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:01 PM

33,439 posts, read 15,170,341 times
Quote:
That was in your response that we have a constant flow of cheap illegal workers....which isnít true given that for years now we have had a net loss of illegal immigrants.

Iíll use a bathtub metaphor. Imagine there is a bathtub which represents the United States, the full point represents the current demand for low-skill labor and the illegal immigration population is water in the bath tub (10.7 million people based on that link I shared). The way I see it the bath tub is currently 3/4 full and is slowly leaking.

We still have thousands pouring over our border every month. I'd stay that equates to a constant flow of cheap, illegal labor. Unless this flow is stopped there will always be water in the bathtub to use your analogy no matter if it is slowly leaking. Why defend illegal immigration at all? As I said before, if there truly is a shortage of American workers then we can create more visas for foreigners to work here. Illegal immigration is unacceptable.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
We still have thousands pouring over our border every month. I'd stay that equates to a constant flow of cheap, illegal labor. Unless this flow is stopped there will always be water in the bathtub to use your analogy no matter if it is slowly leaking. Why defend illegal immigration at all? As I said before, if there truly is a shortage of American workers then we can create more visas for foreigners to work here. Illegal immigration is unacceptable.
The number leaving the country exceeds the number entering....thus itís a net loss.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:12 PM

8,301 posts, read 4,005,396 times
Quote:
The number leaving the country exceeds the number entering....thus itís a net loss.

I can show you pics of them streaming here by the thousands. Can you show me any pics of them leaving?

The dirty little secret is they aren't leaving, even if you believe the total illegal population dropped from 12.1 million in 2012 to 11.1 million in 2017. They are legalizing, marrying citizens and having anchor baby citizens come of age and sponsor them for green cards.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I can show you pics of them streaming here by the thousands. Can you show me any pics of them leaving?

The dirty little secret is they aren't leaving, even if you believe the total illegal population dropped from 12.1 million in 2012 to 11.1 million in 2017. They are legalizing, marrying citizens and having anchor baby citizens come of age and sponsor them for green cards.
Alot are returning. Some are able to legalize too, sure. Isnít that the goal though?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Alot are returning. Some are able to legalize too, sure. Isnít that the goal though?

Not my goal. Show me some collaborating evidence of them returning, besides advocacy group estimates all based on the same census data set. Show me how a million people allegedly returned in last decade when the population data shows net outwards migration for Mexico and Central America every year in that period.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Not my goal. Show me some collaborating evidence of them returning, besides advocacy group estimates all based on the same census data set. Show me how a million people allegedly returned in last decade when the population data shows net outwards migration for Mexico and Central America every year in that period.
I already cited a source earlier in the thread.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I already cited a source earlier in the thread.

I had asked for "some collaborating evidence of them returning, besides advocacy group estimates all based on the same census data set". Your source, Pew, is such a group and it is based on census data (last full census 2010), as is CIS.

Try again. Maybe some Mexican or Central American data in how they are dealing with a net inflow of returning migrants. That would surely put a strain on their weak social services and economy. But you can't because all the data continue to show those countries have net negative migration, as in more of their population is leaving than returning.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I had asked for "some collaborating evidence of them returning, besides advocacy group estimates all based on the same census data set". Your source, Pew, is such a group and it is based on census data (last full census 2010), as is CIS.

Try again. Maybe some Mexican or Central American data in how they are dealing with a net inflow of returning migrants. That would surely put a strain on their weak social services and economy. But you can't because all the data continue to show those countries have net negative migration, as in more of their population is leaving than returning.
Let’s not convolute overall net migration from a country like Mexico with the population of undocumented immigrants within the U.S. which is from many countries other than Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or