U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 AM

1,891 posts, read 2,178,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Yeah ... but what did they speak at the meeting before the meeting around the water cooler or coffee machine?
I don't know nor care, it's not official business around the water cooler. They are free to speak in whatever their native tongue may be.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:04 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,738,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
I don't know nor care, it's not official business around the water cooler. They are free to speak in whatever their native tongue may be.
Which they do ... often with the sales guy from the competition

Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM

14,809 posts, read 18,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
We need to get back to the basic's that this country
was founded on

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
FYI, things have changed a little since 100 years ago.
women can vote, Native Americans were given their citizenship, etc, etc.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:09 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I dont know, I think it has everything to do with illegal immigration and the expectation we should drop our ways and conform to theirs...........
Let the man speak
No, it doesn't. I can speak not two but four languages, and read at least five. I am not only proud to not be stuck in a single gear, but couple of those languages came about from needs arising in my professional career.

Now, what has that got anything to do with illegal immigration?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
I dont know, I think it has everything to do with illegal immigration and the expectation we should drop our ways and conform to theirs...........
Let the man speak
Same people that are against learning another language
are the same people that are always bashing "educated elitists that got an education"

Is it a coincidence?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 AM

19 posts, read 17,904 times
Cool for your enjoyment

everybody great opinions im really impressed...By the please if you are the boss of a corporation and don't know two languages please dont expect others to know how...Second i believe that for people that come from other country and want to become a part of this great nation they should at least be in role in a english learning class or already speak the language.....you guys are amazing so far no one has being trying to ijnsult no one..IN GOD WE TRUST.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:30 AM

I say it everytime,
if you are going to complaint about the US becoming bilingual,
the first people that you have to talk to is ESPN and CNN, both of them have channels in Spanish to allow people to watch their channel without having to learn Spanish.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:52 PM

31,777 posts, read 24,004,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by servant2010 View Post
everybody great opinions im really impressed...By the please if you are the boss of a corporation and don't know two languages please dont expect others to know how...Second i believe that for people that come from other country and want to become a part of this great nation they should at least be in role in a english learning class or already speak the language.....you guys are amazing so far no one has being trying to ijnsult no one...
1- Not necessarily. The boss may not be the one who needs to interact with the global community where a second language is required. If you're not qualified for a position that requires proficiency in more than one language, you simply aren't. It isn't the boss's fault. It is business' need, and requirement for any number of reasons. I had learned German to be able to get around in Germany while working there, while my boss was located in Cupertino, CA.

2- You can't dictate the freedom of others in this country, just like you don't want others to dictate yours. Although, citizenship interview does require basic English.

Now, what has this got to do with illegal immigration?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:53 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,249,960 times
That`s such a contradiction with our country. A person who only speaks spanish CAN get a job and it doesn`t matter if they can`t even communicate with English speaking people. English speaking people can`t get a job because they can`t speak spanish.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:11 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,112,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIllegalsPeriod View Post
I was under the impression of..."When in Rome"... BUT, I'm not in Rome... I interviewed for a job today to be told that I did'nt get it because I was not bilingual. Am I whining here?
Not sure. But probably. What was the job?

If you can't do the job well because your not bilingual, that's really no difference than not being able to do other jobs well because you don't have the relevant skills.

For example... it's hard to get a job as an engineer if you can't do math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration