U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:34 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
This is a really dumb comment and shows zero understanding of these countries. Switzerland, for example, has been "multi-cultural" for centuries and just happens to have a higher per capita GDP than we do.

Nobody is attacking the concept that the US is an English speaking country with the exception of Puerto Rico. The point is that multi-lingualism is not a weakness. Being afraid to grant Puerto Rico statehood on language grounds demonstrates a deep seated insecurity in our own identity
Yea, I agree. I don't understand the other poster's whole "multi-culturalism myth" term. I have no problem with multi-culturalism and I am greatly against illegal immigration. I think multi-culturalism is the best thing for the U.S..

Old 06-09-2010, 08:10 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I reiterate that the reason Spanish is being required to get a job in this country and it doesn't matter what job it is, it is because of the volume of Spanish speaking illegals in this country. Hispanic Americans for the most part are bi-lingual so they don't need to be dealt with in Spanish. It is an outrage that Americans should be required to learn the langauge of the invaders to get a job in their own country!

who has a job and was told that had to learn another language to keep their job?

Are private companies allowed to hire whom they choose to fill the type of business it is.

Out of college, I work for a company that provided operator assistance to persons making calls to mexico, from all over the world. The company was an American Company, that hired American workers to provide this service...

Is this company allowed to hire the workers it chooses? Who says that an American company cant? Whos being Marxist now? This is a free capatalist county.

Learn...or dont learn a second language. but dont complain when companies ask that of there workers.

Flip burgers in your native tounge...Cheez burger pleeze

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,293,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Because speaking another language expands your horizons and makes you more useful to employers and to the country.

It doesn't have to be Spanish you know.
It does have to be Spanish because so many of them, refuse to SPEAK OUR LANGUAGE.They won't even make an attempt to learn our language. First thing that should happen once in this Country, learn ENGLISH.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:15 PM

24,757 posts, read 32,907,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
It's been going on for quite some time

We need to get back to the basic's that this country
was founded on

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I did a little bit of research and I found that he did actually write this but not in 1907 it was just before he died in 1919. And he also said "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools." He also said in 1917 in a speech he made that "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us." Teddy Roosevelt was very big on Americanism.
Yup. He was so big on Americanism that he commanded a segregated, Jim Crow military where some Americans were considered inferior to others.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,293,898 times
You should only be willing to learn another Language, if you choose to do so. However in some Job situations, you will get paid more if you are bi-lingual. There are some jobs that expect you to.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:29 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,118,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Yea, I agree. I don't understand the other poster's whole "multi-culturalism myth" term. I have no problem with multi-culturalism and I am greatly against illegal immigration. I think multi-culturalism is the best thing for the U.S..
The whole multicultualism thing, is causing a rise of the far right in western Europe don't you know? Obviously you haven't heard of the rise of people such as Geert Wilders (Partij voor de Vrijheit, Netherlands), Heinz-Christian Strache (Freiheitpartei Österreich or FPÖ, Austria), and the rise of the rejection of multicultualism foisted on the British population by Tony Blair's and Gordon Brown's Labour Party, by sending Labour packing and landsliding it in England. Multiculturalism is causing a lot of ethnic strife in Europe, you have no idea. A country is made up of its borders, language, and culture, something that you fail to understand. You know what happens in so-called "diverse" communities in the U.S.? People become disconnected with each other, civic participation starts to drop (breeding political corruption), and community cohesion is fractured, and people self-segregate themselves along racial and ethnic lines. You liberals live in this dream world where everyone holds hands together while singing kumbaya, guess what? Real world doesn't work like that. Why do you think communities in the U.S. and western Europe are so segregated? In England, whole cities are extremely segregated, hardly something that the multiculturalists where expecting, they expected the whole kumbaya thing but no, all that resulted was pitting different groups against each other, racially motivated violence, etc. A country is only successful as long as the populations that live in it, have similar backgrounds and beliefs. Having too many different groups living in the same country is DANGEROUS. We need only look at Europe like a time travel trip to the future. Multiculturalism failed, get over it. No country in Latin America believes in the multicultural myth, especially countries like Mexico, which reserve the right to expel and bar foreigners from the country that the government deems would upset the "equilibrium of the national demographics" i.e. Hispanic and Catholic.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 06-09-2010 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,347,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
It's been going on for quite some time

We need to get back to the basic's that this country
was founded on

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
THE US wasn't founded any time close to 1907

Old 06-09-2010, 11:45 PM

13,295 posts, read 12,347,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Historiandude, it does MATTER. Apparently you`ve never been in a situation were you need to communicate with someone and they don`t speak English.
I've been in plenty of those situations.

When my niece and nephews were babies they didn't speak English.
I work with people with disabilities, many of them cannot speak English.
I've spoken with a Kurdish guy in Swedish
I've spoken with an Iraqi woman in Arabic
I've spoken with a Moroccan woman in French
I've spoken with a Dominican woman in Spanish
I've spoken with deaf men and women using American Sign Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration