Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:12 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
A person who only speaks spanish CAN get a job and it doesn`t matter if they can`t even communicate with English speaking people.
Nonsense.

If it matters, it matters. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:16 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
True, but American Citizens shouldn't HAVE to learn another language to appease immigrants, legal or illegal. That's the point.
No. That's not the point.

The point is that if a job requires you to be bilingual, and you're not, you don't qualify for the job.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:21 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Borders, language and culture are the things that define a nation.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreIllegalsPeriod View Post
I was just wondering why I should be bilingual in the United States of America when clearly the common language here is English... ? Is it because by being so I will be more intuned with people of other cultures, or because the concentrated corporate interests of companies to especially cater to certain groups or individuals and make money? I was under the impression of..."When in Rome"... BUT, I'm not in Rome... I interviewed for a job today to be told that I did'nt get it because I was not bilingual. Am I whining here? It seems to me that "CCI" is destroying capitalism for most and America as a whole... Your answers and opinions... PLEASE.

I don't think that you should have to be mulitlingual at all. I think that it all started when the gov't required ballots/election materials, gov't applications to be printed in multiple languages in the name of outreach. Capitalist companies have taken it many steps further by catering to specific groups. As a mexican-american, I sometimes will get asked by a foreigner if I speak Spanish (for their benefit of course). Why should I have to speak their language? This is MY home. Let them learn English. If my grandmother didn't live at that nursing home and depended on them for her well being, I would have asked them why they have housekeeping help that won't speak english? I may in fact call the parent co and not mention any names. No other country puts up with this, I'm sure.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,037 times
Historiandude, it does MATTER. Apparently you`ve never been in a situation were you need to communicate with someone and they don`t speak English.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:10 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
I reiterate that the reason Spanish is being required to get a job in this country and it doesn't matter what job it is, it is because of the volume of Spanish speaking illegals in this country. Hispanic Americans for the most part are bi-lingual so they don't need to be dealt with in Spanish. It is an outrage that Americans should be required to learn the langauge of the invaders to get a job in their own country!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,046 times
The only reason americans need to learn spanish is so the CAN GIVE OUT ORDERS, and ask questions like.."Let me see you ID card, and your certified birth certificate, and a copy of your last 5 years of tax records, and you selective service registration etc etc.. These things must be asked

Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
That`s such a contradiction with our country. A person who only speaks spanish CAN get a job and it doesn`t matter if they can`t even communicate with English speaking people. English speaking people can`t get a job because they can`t speak spanish.
If the job requires Spanish, you bet. My area of expertise requires fluent English, no Spanish at all. In fact, it goes beyond fluency in spoken English. If you were applying, you might get rejected on the grounds of grammatical constructs and use of wrong character for apostrophe.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:14 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
this thread has absoultly nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Ponder your language skills in some other forum.
Actually, it does. The current state of the need for Spanish speakers in businesses is the direct result of the flow of illegal immigration from Mexico, Central America and South America. Admit it, the current population of Spanish-speaking Hispanics would not be here if it were not for the years of illegal immigration. The language of Spanish and its need to be spoken as much as it is wouldn't be like it is now if it were not for illegal immigration.

Why do you always try to say that these threads have othing to do with illegal immigration when if you know what you are talking about and know the facts of illegal immigration, you'd see that?

Face it.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
then you explain, what speaking a language other than english has to do with illegal immigration...use your best english grammer, and explain how it does...
Are you serious?

(I love when people who talk like this [ignorant] try to add their two cents about illegal immigration. How are you going to come to a gun fight with a knife man? Add something of substance.)

Even if this wasn't about illegal immigration and about simple migration of a group that spoke a language other than English then you'd have to understand how the influx of that group would affect the language of the destination country (USA). I mean, why try to come here and talk about illegal immigration with people if you can't even comprehend that concept?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration