U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:20 PM

17 posts, read 17,414 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering why I should be bilingual in the United States of America when clearly the common language here is English... ? Is it because by being so I will be more intuned with people of other cultures, or because the concentrated corporate interests of companies to especially cater to certain groups or individuals and make money? I was under the impression of..."When in Rome"... BUT, I'm not in Rome... I interviewed for a job today to be told that I did'nt get it because I was not bilingual. Am I whining here? It seems to me that "CCI" is destroying capitalism for most and America as a whole... Your answers and opinions... PLEASE.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,497,749 times
It's been going on for quite some time

We need to get back to the basic's that this country
was founded on

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I did a little bit of research and I found that he did actually write this but not in 1907 it was just before he died in 1919. And he also said "Every immigrant who comes here should be required within five years to learn English or to leave the country," he said in a statement to the Kansas City Star in 1918. "English should be the only language taught or used in the public schools." He also said in 1917 in a speech he made that "It is our boast that we admit the immigrant to full fellowship and equality with the native-born. In return we demand that he shall share our undivided allegiance to the one flag which floats over all of us." Teddy Roosevelt was very big on Americanism.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,179,786 times
America has been infected with mexicans, so spanish is needed to relay conversations during on the job.

I thumb my nose to that. I'm not learning their friggin' language because they're just here. I'm not going to please the [criminals] in any way.

Whenever I see a want ad with the request for bilingual, I don't bother.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,745,676 times
Because speaking another language expands your horizons and makes you more useful to employers and to the country.

It doesn't have to be Spanish you know.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:11 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,026,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Because speaking another language expands your horizons and makes you more useful to employers and to the country.

Well gee whiz! I speak English, Pig Latin and Gibberish. I'm so glad that I don't need to learn Spanish. Maybe the Spanish speakers could learn Pig Latin. It really is an easy language to learn.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:48 AM

6,611 posts, read 10,950,538 times
Because if you're not, you lose out to those who are..... and guess who they ARE, for the most part?

Old 06-09-2010, 04:19 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
this thread has absoultly nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Ponder your language skills in some other forum.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:04 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,016,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
this thread has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigration.

I dont know, I think it has everything to do with illegal immigration and the expectation we should drop our ways and conform to theirs...........
Let the man speak

Old 06-09-2010, 07:22 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post

Baloney! The only reason to learn another language in regards to employment is if you are going to be dealing with business abroad (even though English is the language of business across the world) or you are going to be in the tourist industry.

The only reason Spanish is demanded now is directly due to the overwhelmingly majority of Spanish speakers in our country illegally. Most Spanish speaking Americans are bi-lingual so there is no need to speak to them in Spanish on a job. Wake up and smell the coffee as to what is the real reason that we are seeing these bi-lingual employment ads.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
this thread has absoultly nothing to do with illegal immigration.

It has everything to do with illegal immigration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration