Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,206,195 times

Advertisements

mdand3 I understand you know the areas well. Perhaps you can clarify the distance between the two state parks Rock as well as the location of Wildlife Prairie State Park?

I am under the impression that the later is near Hanna City and the former is not terribly far from I-80. If this be the case then it would be close to a 2 hour drive between them.

Here is the answer to my question. 70mi from Peoria or B-N; 130mi from Springfield and 90mi from Chicago or the Quad Cities. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Having been to both places numerous times, I cannot imagine any animals that your two little children will actually see in Starved Rock? Sure, there is the usual squirrel and birds, and if you drive around dusk, you will be dodging deer...but...

Wildlife Prairie State Park is the way to go. Your little ones will see all kinds of animals, in a trail-like setting. The park rangers do an excellent job with the kids too.

Last edited by linicx; 07-02-2010 at 01:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM

49 posts, read 173,693 times
yes but the lodge seems to be very old...(look on tripadvisor ......

Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,493,368 times
I have stayed in both places too. Starved Rock Lodge is quite old. I have also recently stayed in one of the cabins at Starved Rock. Old but decent.
If water parks are an option, the http://www.grizzlyjacksresort.com/ www.grizzlyjacksresort.com near Starved Rock
is really new, very expensive, and really, really nice. We stayed in one of the 3 story villas. The water park is entirely indoors, so no weather issues.

Last edited by linicx; 07-02-2010 at 01:42 AM..

Old 07-02-2010, 08:11 AM

2 posts, read 4,828 times
Wildlife Prairie State Park was created to showcase Illinois wildlife and history in a way that kids can enjoy without knowing that they are actually learning anything

Besides the animal exhibits there are 10 miles of nature hiking trails, playground areas, a Pioneer Farmstead to explore with a One-Room Schoolhouse and authentic pioneer log cabin, a scenic train ride, fishing and FREE daily programs.

Been going there since they opened and love that everytime we are there we see something different... the scenery is ever changing with the seasons.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:59 PM

jlbert, Would you believe that I helped lay those paving bricks that surround the front entrance to the main building at Wildlife Prairie Park? I was in high school at the time.

It really is a fantastic place, not just for kids, but the entire family.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:18 AM

296 posts, read 1,181,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prideful1 View Post
We spent all day at Starved Rock yesterday, hiked into 7 of the waterfalls and ran into probably 15 groups of people the entire day.. At the end of the day the kids were tired, as they rested in the lodge, I hiked the 1.4 miles to the St Louis Canyon and back by myself, ran into 2 people..

The hiking at Starved Rock and the views are far superior to the other options mentioned..
They're actually not "far superior" to the other options mentioned. I guess if you like "hiking" on wooden planks, more power to you. And 2.8 miles isn't a hike, it's a walk. But to each his or her own. The river bluffs are very beautiful, to be sure, but we have them in Peoria, too.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franceclaire View Post
Hello,
We have two kids (5 and 3) and we don't know wich park will be the best for our kids for 2 or 3 days? They like animals....
What's your advice? do you have any suggestions?
How are the lodge at Wildelife state park??
Thanks
Since a few people have seemed to forget the original question, which is about KIDS AGED 5 and 3.... 10 mile hikes don't seem to be the answer?

Old 07-19-2010, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,828 times
Ahh... there are a total of 10 miles of hiking trails on the grounds of Wildlife Prairie State Park, but many are optional and the longest single trail is 3.7 miles. The animal trails are about 2 miles total with many of things to stop and look at along the way as well as playgrounds and petting areas - perfect for that age group!!! There is also the new Adventure Trek ride that actually takes you into the Bison and Elk pasture to see the animals from an open-air bus.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM

49 posts, read 173,693 times
Finally, thanks for all your answers : but with kids aged 5 and 3, 10 miles hikes ..... no thanks, I don't want to carry them.

So I have booked 1 night in a caboose at Wildlife prairie state park. I hope the caboose will be clean....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois